You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tankmaster2003_hero

Jean Bart Commander Skills Question

10 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
2,732 battles

I use HE a lot on the Jean Bart, never at close range mainly at far range when it's really effective, more effective than the AP because the ship has only 380 mm guns. Getting fires on BBs at range is the best. 

So for my last four commander skill points, should I get Fire Prevention or Demolition Expert coupled with Preventive Maintenance?

From personal experience, I don't really have a problem with fighting fires, and I would like FP more if it decreased the time fires lasted, not decrease the chance of having a fire start. On the other hand, an increased chance of causing fires with DE sounds great. Also, whenever I go for a close-range fight with a BB, one of my turrets almost always gets incapacitated. So I could see PE helping with this. So the latter option is what I'm favoring, but I still want to get some opinions. 

[WOLFG]
Members
11,844 posts
10,997 battles

Do you have BOS (3pt skill) already?  That reduces fire time.

I don't think a couple of points to fire chance will help all that much, unless you like working close and getting fires with secondary guns (they don't do a lot of direct damage).

Edited by DrHolmes52

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,193 posts
5,742 battles

Two superstructure fires is one too many. I have always viewed FP as near essential. People are gonna aim for your center of mass, so cutting those 2 fires to 1 is a huge difference.

As for DE, never take it for main battery BB guns. An extra 2 percent chance every 25 seconds on a BB is VERY different that an extra 2% chance every 3 seconds on cruiser guns. 

If you take DE on a BB, do it for secondaries instead of IFHE

[WOLFC]
Members
2,606 posts
11,119 battles
1 hour ago, tankmaster2003_hero said:

From personal experience, I don't really have a problem with fighting fires, and I would like FP more if it decreased the time fires lasted, not decrease the chance of having a fire start. On the other hand, an increased chance of causing fires with DE sounds great. Also, whenever I go for a close-range fight with a BB, one of my turrets almost always gets incapacitated. So I could see PE helping with this. So the latter option is what I'm favoring, but I still want to get some opinions. 

You don’t get Fire Prevention for the 10% fire resistance (although it’s a nice bonus); you select the skill because it merges the center “fire zones” under the superstructure and reduces the maximum number of fires you can have burning to three. Also, most HE spammers aim center of mass, so this often equates to only taking one fire when you would otherwise suffer two.

I run Fire Prevention on all my battleships. IMO, it is a better use of points than Basics of Survivability, which is usually the first skill I drop when deviating from a full tank build.

For Jean Bart, I would run PT, AR, SI, FP, CE, EM, PM, and JoaT. The last two skills are because, as you mentioned, you find your turrets are frequently getting knocked out (are you running the Main Armaments mod in slot 1?) and JB has Repair Party, MBRB, and Speed Boost that all benefit from a faster cooldown. Another solid option if you use a lot of HE would be to swap PM for Expert Loader.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

This is the setup I've been running on Richelieu / Jean Bart ... mostly a secondary meme build ... 10.1 km.  My only worry is losing a main turret, but that has been rare.

It may not be the best, but I like it ...

rjb.jpg

rjb2.jpg

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

DE is a terrible choice for BB. The increasse in fire chance is minimal. FP is one of the best skills for BBs now, with all the HE spam in game. 

My JB (and republique) build is PT - AR - SI - CE - FP - BoS - EM. If your cpt is only for JB you dont really need EM.

Members
18 posts
2,732 battles
22 hours ago, _BBaby said:

Two superstructure fires is one too many. I have always viewed FP as near essential. People are gonna aim for your center of mass, so cutting those 2 fires to 1 is a huge difference.

22 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

You don’t get Fire Prevention for the 10% fire resistance (although it’s a nice bonus); you select the skill because it merges the center “fire zones” under the superstructure and reduces the maximum number of fires you can have burning to three.

Oh ok damn, I didn't know FP did this, would be nice if they would tell you this in the skill's description haha (prob should use the wiki more). But yea after hearing this I'm definitely going for FP on Jean Bart. I already used it on all my other battleships but just because I don't use HE on any of them. And thanks for the tips everyone else who replied. 

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
3 hours ago, tankmaster2003_hero said:

... would be nice if they would tell you this in the skill's description haha (prob should use the wiki more) ...

You mean like this ... ? :cap_wander: :cap_yes:  Sorry if I'm poking a little fun, I've missed the meaning of some descriptions in the past as well.

FP.jpg.d34b9d65e9315ac490bf77cc01a06186.jpg

[UN1]
Members
1,340 posts
4,215 battles
3 hours ago, tankmaster2003_hero said:

Oh ok damn, I didn't know FP did this, would be nice if they would tell you this in the skill's description haha (prob should use the wiki more). But yea after hearing this I'm definitely going for FP on Jean Bart. I already used it on all my other battleships but just because I don't use HE on any of them. And thanks for the tips everyone else who replied. 

It does tell you that.😀