Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Another IFHE thread...Bring out the Gimp.....

15 comments in this topic

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Is it me, or does IFHE just feel totally gimped? I know LMW has a thread stating IFHE on everything..... And for the most part I kept IFHE on all my ships.... But each time I play them I feel so darn underwhelming.....Two ships in particular...The Mogami and Irian. Part of these ships lot in life where to play the fire start game, manage who dcp's and set them ablaze again. And so on.....

I feel that the IFHE change was simply a full on nerf, As usual I am probably missing the boat which is why I am asking. But I have been hitting ships as I have in the past and getting damage numbers that are like 30-40% lower on ships I play reasonably well.

Am I alone on this? Pure fire builds? Or I have a fallen for a banana in my tailpipe trick with these changes?

See the source image

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

I've heard Judge Rheinhold is just the worst guy. 

Anyway, yeah, it feels like a nerf to me, as well. I removed it in favour of full scale fire builds, although, as always, I have no data whatsoever to back up my argument, and have no ambition whatsoever to collect any.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

Its a nerf in that it can't produce both fires and alpha damage on the same ship now.  You have to choose your poison.  The other thing that chanced at the same time was the ship armour.  So, some ships are harder to damage now, than before.  In those cases, an IFHE build might not cause direct damage, but the reduction in fire would be significant enough to reduce any extra fire damage on them.

Members
4,360 posts
11,269 battles

Personally I’m still running ifhe on everything I did pre change (since the only things I’d take it off of are Jutland/Daring, and secondary spec builds, neither of which I have anyway). Yes a full fire build is more viable now than it was, but I still feel more raw pen damage is always going to be better than rng based fire damage. 

Kutuzov may have had a slight nerf from the fire chance reduction, but 155 Mogami received a major buff - give up half your fire chance (but you still have a decent fire chance) and you can now pen 38mm of armor which includes a number of high tier battleship decks. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,437 battles
56 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Is it me, or does IFHE just feel totally gimped? I know LMW has a thread stating IFHE on everything..... And for the most part I kept IFHE on all my ships.... But each time I play them I feel so darn underwhelming.....Two ships in particular...The Mogami and Irian. Part of these ships lot in life where to play the fire start game, manage who dcp's and set them ablaze again. And so on.....

I feel that the IFHE change was simply a full on nerf, As usual I am probably missing the boat which is why I am asking. But I have been hitting ships as I have in the past and getting damage numbers that are like 30-40% lower on ships I play reasonably well.

Am I alone on this? Pure fire builds? Or I have a fallen for a banana in my tailpipe trick with these changes?

See the source image

I haven't played Mogami much recently but my damage numbers are about the same in Irian.  The only ship I have that I feel like it really affected is Bayard, because she lost her ability to penetrate USN BB decks, yet my damage in her is still about the same.  I tried IFHE and non-IFHE builds when we had the free captain repec and it didn't take me long to determine that I'm better off sticking with IFHE.  Fire is too RNG dependent. 

Members
1,442 posts
10,613 battles

I thought the IFHE change was supposed to be a nerf? Hasn't everyone been saying for years now that light cruisers are too powerful because of it. Wasn't that the motivation for the rework to begin with?

• Cool 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

The IFHE change only really benefitted one ship type.... and that ship type just so happens to be the highest performing (BBs).

WG "claimed" that the rework was necessary because IFHE was too "mandatory" for some ships. This placate is easily brought to light as nothing more than dishonesty as they have yet to bat an eye at the multitude of other captain skills which actually ARE mandatory for far MORE ships. Like CE... or ....or LS...etc etc

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Members
1,624 posts

when WG will nerf high caliber shell dispersion? When? The BB are way powerful and their shelling accuracy is needing a good correction!

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,334 posts
31,797 battles
2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Personally I’m still running ifhe on everything I did pre change (since the only things I’d take it off of are Jutland/Daring, and secondary spec builds, neither of which I have anyway). Yes a full fire build is more viable now than it was, but I still feel more raw pen damage is always going to be better than rng based fire damage. 

Yea I haven't changed anything.  Even with the free respec it's a hassle for dubious results.  Haven't really noticed much of a difference,  Have it on Helena and business as usual. 

I also have it on Hindenburg, for some reason.  I did switch it out to a DE build etc. but seemed to do more damage with the IFHE so changed it back to IFHE.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
28 minutes ago, loco_max said:

when WG will nerf high caliber shell dispersion? When? The BB are way powerful and their shelling accuracy is needing a good correction!

This. One of the root causes of many balance issues since 2015.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,473 posts
14,825 battles

IFHE was supposed to be an alternative choice. As it was introduced, the skill was a straight up must have for pretty much all CL because it allowed you to deal direct damage AND start fire.

Now you can no longer effectively do both. So yes IFHE rework IS a nerf...Or rather what IFHE SHOULD have been in the first place.

Personnally I'm doing fine without IFHE. Yes the damage output vs 32mm BB isn't great but the fire chance and the DPM is enough to cook them.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

The mucking about with base HE pen ratios and the armor values did far more damage to the game than the change to IFHE.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,125 posts
7,992 battles
5 hours ago, Murcc said:

Its a nerf in that it can't produce both fires and alpha damage on the same ship now.  You have to choose your poison.  

My problem is sometimes you're put in a scenario where you get neither.  Take IFHE on a Tier 7 cruiser and run into a Tier 8 BB....you don't get alpha or fires.  Even on Tier 8+  CLs...take IFHE on 152s and run into an American, German, Soviet, Italian or Japanese BB....and you suffer the fire chance penalty but still can't pen their deck armor.  

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles

Yes, it was a nerf. It was intended as a nerf. When you take a skill that previously did two things at once, then turn it into a skill that does one or the other, but with no increase in performance, that is a nerf. WG did not like how CLs were performing compared to CAs and decided to mix things up.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
41 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

Yes, it was a nerf. It was intended as a nerf. When you take a skill that previously did two things at once, then turn it into a skill that does one or the other, but with no increase in performance, that is a nerf. WG did not like how CLs were performing compared to CAs and decided to mix things up.

Unfortunately, they applied a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel, and included a bunch of nonsense HE pen and armor thickness changes that made a mess of things for a lot of ships, particularly mid-tier cruisers and smaller-gun BBs.    

However, this may have been intentional given their self-admitted desire to manipulate players towards upper tiers.  

Sign in to follow this