Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DominicusD

Seal Clubbing 101

28 comments in this topic

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles

In a recent battle and when the smoke cleared someone suggested that the RNG was not a about an opportunity for 'seal clubbing' . . . or was it. 

Inquiring minds want to know™

seal clubbing.png

• Confused 2
  • Boring 1

Members
4,540 posts

Last couple of times I played a T4 or under game most of the players had at least 500 games and half had 1k or more.  It made me question, where are the seals they are supposed to be clubbing.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i have 1k games...  i have some lines that are still at tier 4 or less....  am i not allowed to play them ?

I would fit the definition i think... as I haven't played in 2 years and have been back only a few days.

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

what tier?

V - VI .. one or two more VI s on the other side .. they capped and ran over us with ease

[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts
18 minutes ago, DominicusD said:

V - VI .. one or two more VI s on the other side .. they capped and ran over us with ease

Since you blurred the screenshot we can't see the tier discrepancy you claim.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,366 battles

Just me but I would consider Tiers V-VII to be mid-tier.....   most of the directives have you complete battles starting at Tier V.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

The overall gameplay is in such a bad place, that any tier can be considered seal clubbing.

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
4 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Just me but I would consider Tiers V-VII to be mid-tier.....   most of the directives have you complete battles starting at Tier V.

Could you elaborate?  Not sure what 'directives' are in Random.  Also, 'complete battles' in terms of .. ?   

Thanks.

• Confused 1

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
Just now, Xlap said:

The overall gameplay is in such a bad place, that any tier can be considered seal clubbing.

LOL .. seen the term mentioned about and of course in the real world clubbing baby seals is horrifying IMO .. but what constitutes it?  When opponents in battle are imbalanced regardless of tier?

Thanks.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
1 minute ago, DominicusD said:

LOL .. seen the term mentioned about and of course in the real world clubbing baby seals is horrifying IMO .. but what constitutes it?  When opponents in battle are imbalanced regardless of tier?

What imbalance are you talking about? 

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
374 posts
14,366 battles
Just now, DominicusD said:

Could you elaborate?  Not sure what 'directives' are in Random.  Also, 'complete battles' in terms of .. ?   

Thanks.

Sure NP              Completed battles are battles you entered and either won or lost or in RARE cases in Randoms a Draw.   

Directive.PNG

Members
890 posts
14,046 battles

Always been an argument over someone being accused of seal clubbing. I didn't really care about the tier, I cared about the over-powered gimmicks and laser cannons. I preferred lower tier play to get away from the gimmicks and just play. Many feel the same way, but the career gamers will always accuse us of seal clubbing.

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
14 minutes ago, Xlap said:

What imbalance are you talking about?  

Tier V and VI s .. with a VII or two on the other?  That most certainly cannot be construed as an "imbalance?"  Again, just wondering.

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
6 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Always been an argument over someone being accused of seal clubbing. I didn't really care about the tier, I cared about the over-powered gimmicks and laser cannons. I preferred lower tier play to get away from the gimmicks and just play. Many feel the same way, but the career gamers will always accuse us of seal clubbing.

Actually it wasn't an accusation. Not at all.  Just saw the term a couple of times in Forum and would like to know the definition thereof.  It seems some get hackles up over the mere mention of it :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

nothing wrong with seal clubbing.   how else will the noobs learn?  :D     

• Cool 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
8 minutes ago, DominicusD said:

Tier V and VI s .. with a VII or two on the other?  That most certainly cannot be construed as an "imbalance?"  Again, just wondering.

The MM is mirrored for tiers, so it there were one or two T7s on the other team, there were also one or two in your team. So its not unbalanced. 

[HKC]
Members
599 posts
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

i have 1k games...  i have some lines that are still at tier 4 or less....  am i not allowed to play them ?

I would fit the definition i think... as I haven't played in 2 years and have been back only a few days.

Play anything you want, anytime.

Aside from lolz derski and Katori platoons, I don't usually frequent the lower tiers. I'm not sure what the attraction of playing below tier 5 would be.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,428 battles
5 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Play anything you want, anytime.

Aside from lolz derski and Katori platoons, I don't usually frequent the lower tiers. I'm not sure what the attraction of playing below tier 5 would be.

I tried tier 2 recently to see if I wanted to play random. With a premium ship and a 19 point captain it did give me an advantage, though with the Tachibana not so much. (went form a 37% win rate to a 57% win rate in 20 matches, haven't played much PvP since) I noticed one player whose almost all his games were tier 2, so there must be some attraction for some. I guess you finding the way, ship and the tier you like to play is a good point for the game.

Early on I tried random at tier 1 and it appeared that some experianced players were going down and divisioning just to bully and humiliate new players. Not a practice to encourage new players. Even Admiral Jingles laughs at players who do stupid things, maybe OK if they have advanced up the tiers without the necesary experiance but not something to encourage newer players. Not that I am against paddling mistakes, that's how you, hopefully, learn.

I think what the OP was trying to point out, as has been mentioned in other threads, that MM has pitted a team who play ranked, and would be assumed to be better players, against a possibly less experianced team. Another change matchmaking post, something that could be hard for WG to do without unintended consequences.

[SALVO]
Members
4,358 posts
3,781 battles
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

Me too. I came back last month after 3 years, many new lines to know and grind. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,004 posts
22,002 battles

The game is old enough that there are seals at tier X. I guess technically they (or we) are potatoes because of number of games, but the idea is the same. 

328 ships in port, I still like my low tier ships and play them. 

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
1 hour ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Sure NP              Completed battles are battles you entered and either won or lost or in RARE cases in Randoms a Draw.   

Directive.PNG

Where is that screen? Missions? Tasks? Campaigns?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

Its the picture above the PREMIUM SHOP button in the port...  i only found it recently too

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
1 hour ago, centarina said:

nothing wrong with seal clubbing.   how else will the noobs learn?  :D     

to a point, how much are they really learning in that beat down? and if done enough to them discouragement sets in and they leave

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

when they have beat down,  they either will turn to  resources like youtube, tutorials  or forum to improve  or if they will get discouraged and play nothing but coop or quit.   frankly, every game online  is like that unless they have  some form of ranking.     also, they may get to see how good player perform after they are out (if they switch views) .   Frankly, I'd rather see former type of players than latter in random matches anyway.  eventually they will get to high tier and if they didn't learn, they are detrimental to what ever team they are on.     

Sign in to follow this