Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

How are setting up your Asahio ?

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

Time for a reboot on my Asashio for randoms

In the past I ran Radio because once a apon a time there used to be many gunboat DDs about that I wished to avoid but those days are largely gone.

Now by far my biggest challenge is avoiding radar and plane spotting to a lesser extent.

I find also that BBs are better prepared to dodge torps sets and they change direction and speed a bit more.

All this means  I need to get closer, often sub 10 kms to give my torps the best chance to hit but that also means I am vulnerable and exposed 

So I am looking for some input into upgrades and Cpt skills 

This is what I have at present - Main Arms / Eng Room P / Torps Tube / Propulsion ( because sometime I will be stationary waiting for a BB to come into my firing line ) / Steering Gear 2 ( because once I am spotting if I can wiggle more , I get hit less ) 

I know I am giving up concealment mod but I still have 6 kms which seems mostly fine ; again my biggest problem is radar.

Also I found if I ran SG mod 1 & 2 - I could more often than not, get away and live to fight again. But if I give up Prop mod and I am spotted at low speed I cant maneuver enough and I am dead. 

As for CPT skills this is what I thinking - PT / TA - AR - LS / TAE / CE

There are lots of good options but I gave up SE because once  I am spotted unless I can wiggle away ( steering gear mods )  it doesn't seem to matter how much HP I have as T9&TX hit hard and fast.

And I gave up Super which is sometimes useful but its not so often I smoke up and I don't always have a need for 3 rd torps reload.

Finally I took TA because 20 kms torps is nice but not so useful in current meta - 16 kms seems plenty and faster speed is useful

Open to players thoughts?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,788
[WORX]
Members
10,619 posts
18,506 battles

Considering your targets are BBs and CVs... TA helps against BBs with hydro OR are more nimble then a DD.

TA, according to my chart... The reaction time is only .03 second difference...

The only difference that is significant is the "time to range" or time it takes to cover the range from your launch to the 20km mark... There its a 30sec, or half a minute longer w/o TA.

The way I tested the Asashio... Its a flat out torp DD mode...

S1-- MAM1

S2 -- DCSM1

S3-- ASM1 or  TTM1

S3-- PM1

S4-- CSM1

Consumables...

Now for cpt skills I recommend

Level one-- I used ICFA over PT and PM

  • PT only shows how many guns are targeting you, ICFA tells you of incoming shells from before they even leave the barrel and the smoke clears.

Level Two skills are tricky, here is where you play style will determine some skills over others. I would recommend

  • LS
  • AR
    • Now for the "use if you needed" because its how you play skills...
      • SSE, So that they dont guess where you are in smoke OR
      • TA, which I stated in the beginning I would not use it... But if you like it take it...

Level 3 skills,  TAE is first, from there

  • Add Super for an extra smoke and torp booster  OR
  • SE, it doesn't come with extra armor but the extra HP does help

Level 4, If I were you, I pick two from here... But if you do that, your options for the other cpt skill levels will be limited... I strongly recommend

  • CE AND
  • RPF...

By using both CE and RPF, you will truly be a ninja assassin..

Then again it all depends on how you want to play the Asashio... Remember if you take both CE and RPF, you'll have 5 pts left over (if you took the urgent skills first ICFA and LS)... What you do with those 5 pts is totally up to you... you can take SSE and TA and still have one pt left..All I can say is.... 

GL...  

 

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
642 posts
72 battles
2 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Time for a reboot on my Asashio for randoms

In the past I ran Radio because once a apon a time there used to be many gunboat DDs about that I wished to avoid but those days are largely gone.

Now by far my biggest challenge is avoiding radar and plane spotting to a lesser extent.

I find also that BBs are better prepared to dodge torps sets and they change direction and speed a bit more.

All this means  I need to get closer, often sub 10 kms to give my torps the best chance to hit but that also means I am vulnerable and exposed 

So I am looking for some input into upgrades and Cpt skills 

This is what I have at present - Main Arms / Eng Room P / Torps Tube / Propulsion ( because sometime I will be stationary waiting for a BB to come into my firing line ) / Steering Gear 2 ( because once I am spotting if I can wiggle more , I get hit less ) 

I know I am giving up concealment mod but I still have 6 kms which seems mostly fine ; again my biggest problem is radar.

Also I found if I ran SG mod 1 & 2 - I could more often than not, get away and live to fight again. But if I give up Prop mod and I am spotted at low speed I cant maneuver enough and I am dead. 

As for CPT skills this is what I thinking - PT / TA - AR - LS / TAE / CE

There are lots of good options but I gave up SE because once  I am spotted unless I can wiggle away ( steering gear mods )  it doesn't seem to matter how much HP I have as T9&TX hit hard and fast.

And I gave up Super which is sometimes useful but its not so often I smoke up and I don't always have a need for 3 rd torps reload.

Finally I took TA because 20 kms torps is nice but not so useful in current meta - 16 kms seems plenty and faster speed is useful

Open to players thoughts?

thanks

Imho Radio is still very viable for survivability. Heres a game I played the other day. Modules, consubables and captainbuild in the end of the video.

 

Some other recent games showcasing my way of playing Asashio with which I found great success.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[WOLFA]
Members
806 posts
6,697 battles

On my Asashio and Asashio B I went with:

PR, LS, Super, CE, TAE and TA.

With a 5.4 concealment and 16km torps at 70 knots it works perfect for me. No real need for 20km torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,857 posts
15,308 battles

My Asashio is set up as a full gunboat build back when I was playing 1v1s against Chapayevs. (and winning) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
661
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,605 posts
19,681 battles

Asashio Tier 8
Build by Tpaktop2_1
Build 0002Fm
20200328
Consumables – Buy all premiums

Upgrades
==
Slot 1- Magazine Modification 1
Slot 2- Engine Boost Modification 1
Slot 3- Torpedo Tubes Modification 1
Slot 4- Propulsion Modification 1
Slot 5- Concealment System Modification 1


Signal Flags
==
- - X X -
- X - - - X
  X X - - X
- - - - - - 
   - -

Commander skill sets
==
1-   Preventive Maintenance
3-   Last Stand
6-   Torpedo Armament Expertise
10- Concealment Expert
12- Adrenaline Rush
14- Torpedo Acceleration
18- Radio Location
19- Priority Target

My Asashio torps now have a range of 16km and a speed of 75kts. The difference between in not having Main Armaments Modification 1 and Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 is having a gun dispersion variance of  90m to 97m (1% less ) in comparison. The Main Armaments Modification 1 upgrade is a waste since you are a torpedo boat and not a gun boat. You still get Torpedoes tubes traverse speed +20% with the Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 and much more. The only downside is the risk of having the torp tubes incapacitated (+40%) with the Torpedo Tubes Modification 1.  But then again you are usually in bad shape already when that kicks in. The Anti to the Asashio is always Radar and CVs. The biggest bonus with the Asashio is stealth (5.4 km detection range). I am glad I bought this ship and have two of them in my port (Asashio and Asashio Black). Good Hunting OP.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
672
[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Asashio has more than torps going for it, she is a good knife fighter as well if you are ready for it.

Radar is also a specialty for her, I have said it before and will again. Learn to be the baiter! Never cap early, go wide spot the radar ships at range and then turn on and off targeting to bait the radar and hydro. Spot and keep spotted the enemy for your team! 20K torps and lead the target at least a 1/4 more than your targeting path shows. If Multiple targets are present shoot for the furthest first and then reload and shoot for the second furthest then closest

Here is my build
image.png.849c6b95d7a22ea04d8b9cc277ec1692.png

image.png.1959fa6fafa4d310efd67a9ed7551160.png

image.png.cbec601de1e4422f8d6a9a8e116340ab.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[WOLF5]
Members
1,065 posts
8,868 battles

In terms of Captain build mine is set as follows:

PT

EM, TA, AR, LS

SE, TAE

CE

(This is for Coop only battles....consequently did not use SI)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
298
[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,428 battles

I play just CoOp (random maybe some time in the future)

So my Captain Build is;

PM  ( I might change that some day to PT but just being spotted is time to leave!)

EM (help the IJN slow guns)  LS (it's a DD)

SE, TAE (faster reload)  maybe DE over SE but not so far. No SI because CoOp matches don't last long.

CE, RL (helps early game to predict pushes on you and late in game to find the CV or not get an ugly surprise when going around an island looking for red survivors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,045 posts
4,367 battles

The new torpedo module ( which any sensible torpedo demon player should use on their torpedo demons )pushes the speed of the torpedoes to around 80 knots, which drops the reaction time to 4.3 seconds. Provided that

a) Your Victim is alone, like, totally alone.

b) Your Victim is also a victim of a sudden rush of crapto the head from seeing something bigger than he is.

c) Your Victim is in a superdreadnought or is being driven by that one guy that doesn't understand the concept of the "W" key

You'll usually walk away with a nice chunk o' damage and either a devastating strike, or a devastating strike and a liquidator because your target also plays with stock consumables and burned his damacon on a single fire.

Other than that, I got nothing

:SerB:

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60
[-POI-]
Members
80 posts
8,932 battles

Just regular torp build with fastest torps and less range, and even then BBs manage to avoid them... only way to me to hit full salvos is launching them at point blank range, otherwise, they always manage to dodge most of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
672
[--O--]
Members
931 posts
On 3/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

You'll usually walk away with a nice chunk o' damage and either a devastating strike, or a devastating strike and a liquidator because your target also plays with stock consumables and burned his damacon on a single fire.

Other than that, I got nothing

:SerB:

I would love to know how you are getting "Liquidator" I haven't been able to get one since the Great Flooding Nerf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,634
[SIDE]
Members
4,662 posts

Skills:

Definitely the Ocrapometer, zombie rudder/engine, torp reload, torp Accel, superint, definitely conceal and maybe the tier x 350 health buff.

Module:

Conceal, whatever torp buffs, AA, whatever damage buffs

Consumables:

All premiums becuz it's stupid not to.

Camo:

Black

Signals:

Flooding, speed and maybe free xp or captain xp depending on purpose.

Edited by thebigblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,634
[SIDE]
Members
4,662 posts
2 hours ago, SilentSorrow said:

Just regular torp build with fastest torps and less range, and even then BBs manage to avoid them... only way to me to hit full salvos is launching them at point blank range, otherwise, they always manage to dodge most of them.

I have very good luck setup similarly. You need to distinguish between ships that are hydro and not and try to make sure the red DD or cruisers aren't in the path. I'll spend a good bit of time getting into position with one eye on the minimap at all times trying to make sure the strikes will be effective. I want the target dead, not wounded, so thaty position is still viable for the next strike. I pretend like I don't even have guns at all and my entire strategy relies 100% on concealment and evasion.

I'll do the line wolf Hunter sniper thing as much as possible. Carriers change things a lot but I can still be effective close to cruisers. I just screen, spot, smoke and hit targets a little closer to the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,045 posts
4,367 battles
2 hours ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I would love to know how you are getting "Liquidator" I haven't been able to get one since the Great Flooding Nerf

I don't have a screenshot or a clip, but I actually managed to land 4 floods on a Yamato within a span of around 2 minutes. one on the bow, one on the stern on the first volley, and the next two vollies landed on his belt, but actually managed to cause flooding. The poor sucker was a secondary build as well, and he was running acceleration mod for some reason ( I could tell because he was jumping from a dead start when accelerating to full power), and he forgot his trusty flags, his consumables, and his commander skills as well, as he told me after the fact.

Devastating Strike, Liquidator, over 100,000 damage inflicted on him ( because he healed as well ), and a valuable lesson to always go full survival spec on a Yama

:SerB:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts

@Dano07_

If you have Last Stand as a Captain skill, you really don't need Engine Room Protection mod in my opinion.

Concealment is everything in the Asashio.  I don't know that I'd give up the concealment mod for anything.  There are too many DDs that can out spot you then.

PM over PT as a Captain skill.  PM helps keep your ship fighting.  It does a better job than the Engine Room Protection mod protecting your engines.

Keep your powder dry Captain!

AsCapt.thumb.jpg.bff22fdf492acd434e70230c36a12a69.jpg

AsCons.jpg.a39186759f1efa7d3c4003dc4420ceaf.jpg

AsMods.jpg.957d523c4a3c7b0e201e2fd36a324802.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,934 battles

 

I'm at work (yes, some of us have work still to go to) and will post my setup tonight but had to comment on this:

 


On 3/28/2020 at 6:12 AM, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

Asashio == CV snack.  My Mikasa has a better chance of getting out of port than my Asashio, and I never use my Mikasa.  


This smells like somebody who never turns off his AA.   Shio concealment is up there as one of the best in DD's.   I rarely get seen by CV's and havn't been focused down by one in weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×