Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Valanthius

Stealth.

13 comments in this topic

[TWFT2]
Members
3 posts

I didn't come here to whine or whinge. It may sound like it, but it's not a whinge or a whine. I just want to start a discussion. Stealth and smoke need a re-work and a serious nerf. Firing without direct line of sight should involve serious penalties to both your dispersion and your chance to hit a target. If you're firing over a dirty great mountain or some other cover, targets should be much harder to hit.

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
5 minutes ago, Valanthius said:

If you're firing over a dirty great mountain or some other cover, targets should be much harder to hit.

I take it that you've never served in the artillery. It's exceedingly rare to direct fire large guns. With what essentially was WWII technology, my unit could place a shell directly on target from a distance of 10 miles using only map coordinates called in by the forward observer.

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,774 posts
6,023 battles
18 minutes ago, Valanthius said:

I didn't come here to whine or whinge. It may sound like it, but it's not a whinge or a whine. I just want to start a discussion. Stealth and smoke need a re-work and a serious nerf. Firing without direct line of sight should involve serious penalties to both your dispersion and your chance to hit a target. If you're firing over a dirty great mountain or some other cover, targets should be much harder to hit.

Stealth/concealment is needed so that smaller ships can contest with larger ships.  If the game used finances to play bigger ships you'd need dozens of DD matches to earn a single BB match.

Members
7,363 posts
17,418 battles
45 minutes ago, Valanthius said:

So what's your argument against stealth? 

[SALVO]
Members
7,046 posts
5,529 battles
40 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I take it that you've never served in the artillery. It's exceedingly rare to direct fire large guns. With what essentially was WWII technology, my unit could place a shell directly on target from a distance of 10 miles using only map coordinates called in by the forward observer.

That's very cool mate. I ever wondered how loud they sound when up close. Do you wear earplugs?

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles
34 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

That's very cool mate. I ever wondered how loud they sound when up close. Do you wear earplugs?

He was a medic, but I'd like to know how close he got to those arties....

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
26 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

We carried earplugs in a little case hanging from a shirt button all the time and wore then when exposed to loud noises. Even so, sometimes the firing would catch you off guard and if you were close enough the guns would make your ears ring. Most of the old artillery sergeants were hard of hearing. Hearing is important to the military though. We had an audiology booth at our TMC.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,497 posts
3 minutes ago, legozer said:

He was a medic, but I'd like to know how close he got to those arties....

LOL, I sometimes worked with the gun crews firing the howitzers, though I really wasn't supposed to. We medics were sort of our own bosses when attached to line units. Some sort of took advantage of this to be lazy unless specifically needed for a medical problem. I, on the other hand, made myself useful as much as I could, even pulling night guard duty. This is why I had a really good relationship with the units I was attached to.

• Cool 2

[LANCE]
Members
875 posts
6,575 battles
1 hour ago, Valanthius said:

So would the same suggestion your making effect BBs for most their long range shots? After all a lot of times they dont have line of sight on a spotted target. How about CL/CAs that fire on a target they have no line of sight on when, for instance a DD is radar’d in smoke? Would they also suffer a dispersion nerf?

Edited by Bravo4zero

[WMD]
Members
1,898 posts
10,651 battles
7 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

What does “whinge” actually mean?  I always took it as some millennial intentional misspelling like “pwn”.

It's a British way of saying whine, has existed for a long time. 

7 hours ago, Valanthius said:

Those mechanics exist in game to prevent it from being World of Battleships. 

As mentioned earlier, economic factors are so simplified that there would be no reason to not run a BB if stealthy boats, island humping, and an ingame version of "Link 16" didn't exist. 

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

+1

Indirect fire missions are very common.  I suggest the learning the "How It Works" sections of this game on the mechanics of spotting and how friendly ships & planes relay information about ship positions.

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,951 battles

Ok, we are all friends here. Tell us, where does the destroyer touched your battleship?

Try to play something else then BB and you will know why these mechanics are here.

Also: get some knowledge about firing of artillery and balistics.

And don't forget: there are some clips (also from WG) that explain how does spotting works.

BTW, it isn't as bad as it used to be. There was a time when ships like the Gremyashchy or Mogami could sit it the middle of the ocean and punish BB without being spotted. 

Sign in to follow this