You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Do you enjoy your Premium Ships or Tech Tree ships?

30 comments in this topic

Members
7,122 posts
22,130 battles

Reviewing my recent play and my go to ships.... It has dawned on me that I rarely play premium ships. Even though I have 100 or so. I want them, I crave Santa Crates to get them like a free buffet of chicken wings and all you can drink blue cheese dressing...…..But, They seem store bought... not earned....

Granted, I played a ton of Mighty Mo, Tirpitz and Kutuzov 2-3 years ago so my numbers are high but recently? Almost never even look at them. Recently got tons of premiums at xmas…. Barely play the Benham, Alaska, Friesland.....  all perceived to be strong ships....

I still want to dance with my old girfriends… Shima, Myoko, Mogami….Balti... It's weird. 

Is there a love/respect of having skin in the game for what was earned vs bought for any of you?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,851 posts
4,290 battles

I play what I find fun, premium or tech tree doesn't matter. Especially now as I'm at a stage where credits aren't an issue.

GA is a ton of fun, and MO is always solid. But Montana is by Ranked go to, and Helena is still really fun. Des Moines is always fun as well. I'm enjoying USN DDs as well, and Moskva is great fun too. But Atlanta and Alabama are always dependable. Warspite has been by Operations ship. So yeah, good spread. Doesn't matter how I got it, it all depends how it plays.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,689 posts
27,443 battles

Recently tried 155 Mogami in the PT, and wondered why I’d never bought it before, (been playing since 9/2015.)

Play whatever I feel like or need at the moment. Grinding T10s in that respect for their LUs.

Mid-Tier, several favorites are Warspite, Normandie, Marblehead, Konigsburg, and Nicholas. (Because does rude things to T4 carriers, and doesn’t have to deal with T8 carriers.)

(edit)

Play Ark Royal in Ops. Don’t much care for anything else, through several honorable mentions include the above battleships, and The Foreign Minister.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,864 posts
16,990 battles

So I have 260 ships and yes, I do prefer playing tech tree ships over premiums but only because unlike WOT the grind/income for WOWS doesn't force you to you knees and crush your soul to grind credits/EXP/FEXP

There's also the fact that with a few exceptions, almost every ship is fun to play!:fish_aqua:

Honestly for premiums the only 7 I play are

Kimikaze- for torpedo missions, flood missions

Salem- gun hits/tanking missions, fire missions

Alaska- tanking/kill x amount of ships, EXP missions

Massachusettes- get X amount of secondaries hits

HSF Harekaze get X amount of main gun/torpedo hits, base cap missions

Kii- earn X amount of credits (I bought the gold camo version with extra income and it can earn just as much as an Missouri)

Enterprise- spotting missions/ assistance damage, fire/flood missions

and these are only for specific missions/goals! The rest just sit in port unless there's a specific mission I need competed can't be done by the 7 listed above.:fish_book:

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,864 posts
16,990 battles
7 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I play what I find fun, premium or tech tree doesn't matter. Especially now as I'm at a stage where credits aren't an issue.

GA is a ton of fun, and MO is always solid. But Montana is by Ranked go to, and Helena is still really fun. Des Moines is always fun as well. I'm enjoying USN DDs as well, and Moskva is great fun too. But Atlanta and Alabama are always dependable. Warspite has been by Operations ship. So yeah, good spread. Doesn't matter how I got it, it all depends how it plays.

Have you tried the IJN gunboat line yet? they're literal salt farming factories with those fast firing guns!:cap_rambo:They're also good at farming AA kills too!

Whenever I've having a bad day, I jump into one of those 3 (4 if you count the Harekaze) and my mood instantly improves.:cap_haloween:

[WORX]
Members
12,667 posts
19,915 battles

DUe to the current policy changes WG has implimented

• CV rework
  • IFHE rework.

Along with ordnance discrimination AND disparites on in-game play...

Both Tech and Premium ships are suffering because WG current direction.

• Boring 2

Members
4,015 posts
14,536 battles

I play them both about equally now adays.

The premiums I play because I like them, and I dont use premium service so they are my credit generators. 

[WPORT]
Members
8,228 posts
13,265 battles
29 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Do you enjoy your Premium Ships or Tech Tree ships?

By Waxing_Gibbous, 28 minutes ago in General Game Discussion

Reviewing my recent play and my go to ships.... It has dawned on me that I rarely play premium ships. Even though I have 100 or so. I want them, I crave Santa Crates to get them like a free buffet of chicken wings and all you can drink blue cheese dressing...…..But, They seem store bought... not earned....

Granted, I played a ton of Mighty Mo, Tirpitz and Kutuzov 2-3 years ago so my numbers are high but recently? Almost never even look at them. Recently got tons of premiums at xmas…. Barely play the Benham, Alaska, Friesland.....  all perceived to be strong ships....

I still want to dance with my old girfriends… Shima, Myoko, Mogami….Balti... It's weird. 

Is there a love/respect of having skin in the game for what was earned vs bought for any of you?

I enjoy both.  The Friant is still a fun ship to sail, for example.

The premium ships have their perks, but they won't advance one up the tech-tree.  The tech-tree ships might not have the Kobayashi camo, but they are the key to researching the tech-tree.  :-)

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,924 posts

i just returned to the game after some years away.  for now I am getting my feet wet i do spend a fair bit of time in what few premiums i have.  I consider them a sort of cheaper/less risky way to get my feet wet as i relearn the game.  I figure my potential at least for earnings and captain xp will be better in those ...

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,823 posts
2,663 battles

Most of my favorites are all premiums.  Haida, d'Aosta, Cesare, Massachusetts.  That being said, I absolutely enjoyed Venezia and Daring on the test server.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles

Udaloi is my most played ship, and I usually take out Izyaslav once or twice a week, but, due to my bizarre compulsion to hoard camo, I tend to play mostly premium ships. The only BB I somewhat enjoy playing is the W.Virginnie 1941. Haida, Sims, Atago, Aigle and sometimes Vampire.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,397 posts
10,021 battles
20 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

• CV rework
  • IFHE rework.

Ok, but which do you prefer to play?

[WORX]
Members
12,667 posts
19,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Ok, but which do you prefer to play?

None... I been per-occupied with other game titles.

When I do play WOWS, I know I have to face what I stated in my OP... Frankly I dont like the lack of fun in both Tech and premium ships...

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,431 battles

Huh. Hadn't really looked at this before. I guess my answer is that RECENTLY I've more or less stopped playing tech tree ships as often as I used to. WAY back when I first started, I was truly bad, and tried to grind through the USN DD line. Got stuck on the Fletcher for a LONG time.

Also, dayum, I can't BUY a win in the Friesland (I'm not a fan of that ship, tbh....just not my style).

ALSO also, lol at only 1 non DD in the top 10. I really should play Chappy more often....

image.thumb.png.f194e6721dcae23fd6fcee0174dc165e.png

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,243 posts
22,887 battles

Looks like I'm in the minority. I have 109 ships in port. Two are Pan-Swedish DD, one is Kirov, and one is Moskva. The remainder are Special/Premium ships. I like playing my premiums.

I stopped grinding ship lines a couple years ago. Getting captains to 19 points is easier with premiums. I'll buy back tech tree ships when I have the desire to play them.

[PHD]
Members
1,858 posts
7,264 battles

I supose it is how the various WoWS players play the game.

For me it's more a convience issue. I have one main IJN DD captain that I move between one tech tree ship and two preimum ships. Same for my French DD captain so it's more simple to move them around. Maybe if I had  many high point captains I would leave them on tech tree ships, I enjoy the Harakaze and Asashio over the Fubuki. So yeh I like the preimum ships.

Plus I have not ground up lines, just IJN CA and DD to tier 6. Most of my ships have come from WG events so I did not aquire them in the "normal" way. And I don't want a lot of ships. I have more than I play now.

And it may depend on the ships. Some Preimum ships are rather crap and I have no interest in them and the tech tree ships may be better but I have not experianced enough of them to develope an opinion of them.

For premium ships, just check LWM's review and you know what you are getting.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

i ground the tech tree and have what few free prems are available, but i was hesitating buying a prem ship or prem camos for tier 10. currently the propensity for wg to nerf tier 10 leads me against prem camo, but the lack of op prem ships leads me agianst that as well. so i sit with me dubs waiting.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,602 posts
6,954 battles

I almost exclusively play Premium Ships and rarely if ever play Tech Tree ships.   

1:  Resource gain from premium ships (credits, fxp) is better.

2:  They usually have something a bit more unique or interesting setup wise

3:  They don't require 40-100k exp to unlock the complete version of the ship.  

I pretty much only play Tech Tree ships to unlock the next tech tree ship in the line, and that takes SOOOOOOOOOOO long that I usually get bored rarely if ever play the ship again.    I was thinking about Yamato...I'm currently on Fuso, which is an OKAY ship (guns turn too slowly, and accuracy leave a lot to be desired)...I have like 5-10 Fuso games now, I'm over it, I'm ready to move on, but I need another like 20 Fuso games to push the next tier, its just so boring.  

Most nights I play 1-2 games in maybe 4-5 different ships, and log out.   I don't even like playing the same of ANY ship more than a few times in a row, but the stupid tech tree ships require a too many games for my taste, unless I really commit, it usually takes me like 2 months to move up a tier.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,148 posts
23,210 battles

Since I have a long laundry list of things I am working on .....

grinding tech ships, grinding CXP and FXP, UUs, wtc. I still play a lot of Tech ships.  The only Premiums I have played recently are the Yoshino, Thunderer, Mass, and JB.  I am really looking forward to when my grind winds down so I can get  back to my lower level techs and prems.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,214 posts
21,066 battles

I find myself playing premiums more than tech tree ships.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,822 posts
6,038 battles

I play what I find fun, or what I need to grind something.  Premium or tech tree doesn't enter into it much.

1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

• CV rework
  • IFHE rework.

What does any of that have to do with the OP's question?

[--K--]
Supertester
1,490 posts
14,289 battles

I typically play 3-4 tech tree ships I'm grinding for the first win. Rest are in premium ships to grind capt xp. Will deviate if directives require something specific. 

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
1,674 posts
13,710 battles

I enjoy older premiums most

New premiums are waste of money and time.

Tech Tree is always worth grind to do.

[DAS]
Members
1,015 posts
9,748 battles

I think it depends a lot on my mood. Some years ago, I mostly played my premiums (also why I have so few tier Xs), but now I am trying to grind out more tier Xs, so that means less premiums.