You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Red_Ghost_05

Kaga Commander Skils

26 comments in this topic

[-BN-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
129 posts
3,260 battles

I bought Kaga a few weeks ago but i'm not sure if having both the skill for torpedo speed plus the modification is a good idea since they make the activation range larger. currently I'm aiming for this build:

image.png.32c87bc6a533a571b4f0dc70ffb509f1.png

If some of you more experience player could give me some tips about if its good idea to go with both torp speed mods and skill.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,236 battles

This is just my opinion, so please keep that in mind.

You might want to get both the Survivability Expert AND the Aircraft Armor, to maximize the aircraft survivability. IMHO, every little bit helps. Kaga's planes are already fragile as they are (then again pretty much all CV's are nowadays, especially against higher Tier AA's), so I say it's definitely worth considering. 

The first 4 point skill you picked (I forgot its name, lol), the one that speeds up the aiming, is not really needed... or so I heard. Personally, I can't even tell the difference between using it and not using it, even though some of my CV captains have it too, and I think that's where the recommendation comes from. It may be only giving a tiny boost, even though it costs so many skill points.

Last I heard, the torpedo acceleration isn't really recommended for IJN CV's, since their torpedoes are fast enough, plus that long arming time. The skill does make the warming distance longer, so the net trade may not be worth the skill point. That's just me though, and I don't have that skill on my captain... lel.

Still, speccing for the torpedoes for Kaga is a sound choice, since her torpedo bombers are her breadwinners. If you can consistently manage to hit with at least 3 of her torpedoes, per strike, you can get some good mileage out of her. Of course, if you can manage all 4, then that's golden... lul.

As I said, these are just my opinions, so please take them not with a grain of salt, but with a grain of sugar, thank you. You might want to wait for someone with more thorough knowledge on CV's to give you some advice. :Smile_hiding:

BTW, do you have the Kaga captain, from the Azur Lane collab, to put in your Kaga? Just curious, lal. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles

Kaga's torps are fast enough, you don't need Torpedo Acceleration, and the increase in arming distance makes it a detriment. (The target has the exact same time and more room to dodge)

Dump Torpedo Armament Expertise, it no longer helps torpedo bombers at all.

I'd add more of the skills for aircraft survivability and regen, Kaga's planes are fragile, her squadron's are big and not the fastest, so she's gonna lose more planes than other CV's. She's got huge reserves but a bad regen for the losses she'll take, so a little bad luck in a tier 10 match and you can run her low of the aircraft you want.

I also wouldn't bother with torpedo bombers mod 1, the extra 5 seconds of aiming time isn't really needed, especially with the enforced stand off range of Kaga's torps. It's probably better to get Attack Aircraft mod 1 for an extra 2 sec of attack time on the rocket planes, it makes it much easier to engage DD's

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,253 posts
25,096 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I also wouldn't bother with torpedo bombers mod 1, the extra 5 seconds of aiming time isn't really needed, especially with the enforced stand off range of Kaga's torps. It's probably better to get Attack Aircraft mod 1 for an extra 2 sec of attack time on the rocket planes, it makes it much easier to engage DD's.

Not sure it really means much which mod you take. Kaga’s planes are fodder for any AA that’s T8 plus.

Lower tier games are just a pipe dream everyone else but me, apparently, gets to see.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
24 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure it really means much which mod you take. Kaga’s planes are fodder for any AA that’s T8 plus.

Lower tier games are just a pipe dream everyone else but me, apparently, gets to see.

I don't know what being top tier is either, I think it's what happens when I'm not the only tier 8 in as otherwise all tier 10 match.

I just run my pretty much standard CV captains build with Kaga, and when I start running low on planes I want (just torp bombers, usually still have rocket planes, and plenty of dive bombers left) I can look up and see I'm just about out of time as well. You don't notice the difference when your taking the losses, I noticed it end game when I had partial squadrons of aircraft v/s a full squadron with a couple extras that I could perhaps milk two strikes out of if the time allowed. It also helps some when facing higher AA DD's. with them I'm probably getting two strikes, without I'm gonna make one strike and be left with some aircraft that won't survive long enough to make an effective second.

[-BN-]
129 posts
3,260 battles
3 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

BTW, do you have the Kaga captain, from the Azur Lane collab, to put in your Kaga? Just curious, lal. :Smile_teethhappy:

no, i didn't managed to get her on sale but i can always mod the game to get her :Smile-_tongue:
image.png.47f921132158487cbd5d0fd4a76b188f.png

taking into account some of the advice you gave me about that build, would this be a better build then?
image.png.72aa17ca643be341b5387353d1f9e44c.png

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
2 minutes ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

no, i didn't managed to get her on sale but i can always mod the game to get her :Smile-_tongue:

taking into account some of the advice you gave me about that build, would this be a better build then?

Looks a lot like mine, which seems to work for me. That build will work well for any other IJN CV as well, so if you want to double dip on the XP, put her in a Ryujo and hit up operations.

• Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
3 hours ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

I bought Kaga a few weeks ago but i'm not sure if having both the skill for torpedo speed plus the modification is a good idea since they make the activation range larger. currently I'm aiming for this build:

If some of you more experience player could give me some tips about if its good idea to go with both torp speed mods and skill.

I would not get torpedo accelleration.
I would get both Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert.
Concealment Expert is a viable option as a 4-point skill.  I would not bother with sight-stabilization.  Advanced Firing Training seems like a better option, in my opinion (because you'll learn how to fly well and aim well with some practice).

Spare points can be devoted to the 1-point skills that enhance plane performance and give you an extra fighter plane with your Fighter Consumable.

Torpedo Armament Expertise is not necessary for aircraft.  Spend points elsewhere.

Good luck, have fun.   :-)

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,236 battles
30 minutes ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

True, but you are not getting her official voice attached to the captain... lol. :Smile_trollface:

Though it doesn't matter, since you can just select her voice from the voice setting, lel. :Smile_hiding:

But the captain's name. Now that, you aren't getting the genuine Kaga... lul. :Smile_teethhappy:

As for the captain build, now it looks better. I like it. That's just me though.

You could still drop the Sight Stabilization skill for something else, should you choose, but it's entirely up to you. Just saying.

My 2 Animu captains. Please take them with a grain of sugar substitutes... lal. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-BN-]
129 posts
3,260 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

True, but you are not getting her official voice attached to the captain... lol. :Smile_trollface:

Though it doesn't matter, since you can just select her voice from the voice setting, lel. :Smile_hiding:

There's a mod for getting the AL voices :Smile_hiding:

But the captain's name. Now that, you aren't getting the genuine Kaga... lul. :Smile_teethhappy:

well you got me there :Smile_teethhappy:

As for the captain build, now it looks better. I like it. That's just me though.

You could still drop the Sight Stabilization skill for something else, should you choose, but it's entirely up to you. Just saying.

My 2 Animu captains. Please take them with a grain of sugar substitutes... lal. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah i'm liking this build much better, as for SS is more of a personal preference since it helped me with my DBs on Ryuujo :cat_cool:

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,236 battles
12 minutes ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

There's a mod for getting the AL voices :Smile_hiding:

Well, if you want Kaga's voice, you don't even need a mod. You can just go into the options and select her voice from the voice selection menu.

It's actually suppose to be a bit of a secret, but not really... lol. :Smile_hiding:

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
1 hour ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

This is more effective.

You wrote earlier that Sight Stabilization is a preference of yours.
If you choose to try going without it (after becoming familiar with your planes), then consider Direction Center for Fighters (+1 Fighter when consumable activated) and Demolition Expert to compliment Kaga's HE bombs.

Advanced Firing Training will increase the range of Kaga's secondary battery and improve its' accuracy.  But, if you avoid close-encounters, then the buff to your AA batteries may not matter enough to suit your preferences.

Decisions, decisions.  :-)

[-BN-]
129 posts
3,260 battles

I've been wondering which one would be better to take first
unknown.png 

or
unknown.png

i have to pic one first since i only have a 10 point captain

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
1 hour ago, Red_Ghost_05 said:

I've been wondering which one would be better to take first
unknown.png 

or
unknown.png

i have to pic one first since i only have a 10 point captain

Survivability expert, it's a flat 200 extra HP per plane at tier 8, and Kaga's planes all have less than 2K hitpoints, so they'll be more than 10% tougher against both continuous damage and getting winged by flak. Kaga's squadrons are rather large, so clipping flak is fairly common, at least until you've dropped your first attack. Eating a flak burst to the face pretty much ruins your day anyway.

Aircraft armor is just against continuous damage and has no impact on flak.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,342 posts
6,236 battles
31 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Survivability expert, it's a flat 200 extra HP per plane at tier 8, and Kaga's planes all have less than 2K hitpoints, so they'll be more than 10% tougher against both continuous damage and getting winged by flak. Kaga's squadrons are rather large, so clipping flak is fairly common, at least until you've dropped your first attack. Eating a flak burst to the face pretty much ruins your day anyway.

Aircraft armor is just against continuous damage and has no impact on flak.

^ This.

On top of that, it also gives a boost to your CV, so if your enemies ever find you, it can help... maybe, lol. :Smile_hiding:

I mean, yeah, it's a tiny boost... but you never know... lel. :Smile_teethhappy:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,455 posts

Curiously... this sort of died on the vine.. I was kind of expecting a completed, revised skillset all could mostly agree upon. 

Did you get one? 

[POP]
Members
1,080 posts
9,339 battles

This is my Hak build who I also use in my Kaga.  I believe I got it form Top Tier on youtube.  Some say they don't need Sight stabilization however for Hak it helps a lot when going after nimble targets in my experience.  The only other skill I don't have that could be useful would be DE but like I said, this is my Hak captain and the AP bombs don't benefit from it.  Maybe if the captain was only for the Kaga you might swap Sight stabalization for DE and another 1pt skill.

Screenshot (33).png

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
On 3/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, Red_Ghost_05 said:

I'm reading and responding to your post (without having read the other posts people have written before me).

1.  Torpedo Acceleration is not needed with Japanese CV's/planes.  The Japanese line of aerial torpedoes are the fastest in the game at each tier.  Spend the points elsewhere.

2.  Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert are required CV Captain's Skills, to improve the HP of the planes (and the ship) and to reduce the flak damage that the planes take while exposed to AA fire.

3.  The 1-point skill to improve the duration of the Engine Boost is a good choice.  When paired with the appropriate ship module upgrade, the planes will be able to cover the map better and sustain speed-changes significantly longer than without the pairing of the skill + upgrade.

4.  Sight-stabilization is a personal choice.  Some people really depend upon it, others can live just fine without it.
    Personally, I learn to plan my approaches from further away and get the aiming to settle-down without that skill. 
    Instead, I would take Advanced Firing Training to improve secondary battery range and to improve AA gun performance.

5.  By removing Torpedo Acceleration, you'd gain two points which could be spent on Aircraft Servicing and Direction Center for Fighters. 
    These skills are 1 point, each.  And they improve the repair & re-arming of planes by 5% and add one plane to your fighter-squadron consumable (to help shoot down red planes faster).

6.  If I have the points to spare, I like to get Superintendent Captain's Skill.  

7.  I often sail "In to Harm's Way" with my CV's.  So, I spend points on the "Last Stand" skill, to keep the engine and steering functioning at full or at least 50% capactity.

I'm going to enclose a recent picture of one of the Captains I've used on my Kaga.  It is of Arpeggio of Blue Steel Commander Gunzo Chihaya, who has 10 skill-points.

Feel free to ask questions and compare notes.  Hope you enjoy your Kaga, too.  :-)

shot-20_07.23_09_22.49-0768.thumb.jpg.ad614660dd87cb6c22ff9e6129f0c808.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
On 3/27/2020 at 4:41 PM, Blorgh2017 said:

I recently welcomed the Azur Lane Commander Kaga to my port, and assigned her as Captain of my Kaga.
Gunzo Chihaya's assignment was temporary from the get-go, being assigned just to put some XP on him and to put a 10-point Captain on the ship.  Eventually he's gonna be assigned to a submarine, I hope.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
On 3/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

On 3/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

I don't know what being top tier is either, I think it's what happens when I'm not the only tier 8 in as otherwise all tier 10 match.

I just run my pretty much standard CV captains build with Kaga, and when I start running low on planes I want (just torp bombers, usually still have rocket planes, and plenty of dive bombers left) I can look up and see I'm just about out of time as well. You don't notice the difference when your taking the losses, I noticed it end game when I had partial squadrons of aircraft v/s a full squadron with a couple extras that I could perhaps milk two strikes out of if the time allowed. It also helps some when facing higher AA DD's. with them I'm probably getting two strikes, without I'm gonna make one strike and be left with some aircraft that won't survive long enough to make an effective second.

Tier-8 CV Kaga tends to see a lot of Tier-9 and Tier-10 opponents.

Using methods of "pre-dropping" ordnance to send planes back to the CV early helps to keep the squadron strength up.  
Zig-zagging on approach to a target helps to reduce flak exposure.  Fly straight during the final section of an attack, but merely getting within a few km of a target can be brutal on planes facing high-tier AA.

Make one attack run on a target and then hit the "F" to get out and get the planes back to the CV.
Lingering in AA is how to get planes shredded.

The EU Destroyers pack quite a bit of AA power on their hulls.  They're really annoying.  :-)

Good luck, have fun.  :-)

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
On 3/27/2020 at 6:40 PM, Red_Ghost_05 said:

It is a viable CV build.  Hope you enjoy it.  :-)

[BABC]
Members
79 posts

I don't know what the base fire chance is for Kaga's rockets and bombs, but demo expert can be taken into consideration, but that would mean possibly giving up Concealment or Sight.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

Going full concealment gives Kaga 9.8 km ship detection and the torp planes 6.1km detection it allows Kaga to sneak around the battlefield and drop on ships just as their AA opens up leaving very little time to react to your torp planes.

[WPORT]
Members
5,395 posts
10,440 battles
5 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Going full concealment gives Kaga 9.8 km ship detection and the torp planes 6.1km detection it allows Kaga to sneak around the battlefield and drop on ships just as their AA opens up leaving very little time to react to your torp planes.

:cap_look:

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
On 7/30/2020 at 3:04 PM, yaluen said:

I don't know what the base fire chance is for Kaga's rockets and bombs, but demo expert can be taken into consideration, but that would mean possibly giving up Concealment or Sight.

You could do demo expert, but rockets and bombs aren't why you bring Kaga. Kaga's known for going "Hulk Smash!!!" with the torpedo bombers, and the beautiful thing is she can run a standard IJN CV captain, so your Shōkaku or Hakuryu captain can do double duty in her, speeding their way to being 19 point captains.