You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

[Rant] Moskva, and the Grind that Killed my Enjoyment

26 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,050 posts
8,580 battles

I’ve been through many grinds, across many lines. The Moskva grind isn’t the toughest grind, it’s easy enough to spam he at max range for xp. The gun arcs are good, and the HE damage is manageable, even if the fire starting with IFHE is horrendous. What makes the grind tough is the people I played with, and the game experience at Top Tier in general.

Watching as one team beat the lights out of another game in and out, with teams whose dds would die within three minutes of match start, bbs who would fire HE the entire game, with cruisers who don’t know what good positioning is, slowly broke down my patience for even the most minor of mistakes. Every citadel I took because the bus that is the Dimitri Donskoi cannot wiggle it’s aft compounded on that erosion, until all that was left was a bitter, irritated, husk of a captain whose optimism was replaced by sheer negativity.

I feel horrible about some of the things I’ve said to other captains in sheer frustration, and some things I don’t, be it for truth or just spite. And yet my grind isn’t over. I’m just over halfway to Moskva. Thus tomorrow upon restart, my daily grind will begin anew. However, I urge you captains: please, do not let a grind consume your love for the game. At the rate I’m going, I’ll probably uninstall, and that’s a damn shame. Don’t let the same happen to you.

[NUWES]
Members
3,130 posts
10,666 battles

Thankfully I finished. I must admit I really don't like the Soviet line cruisers. Dreadful agility and standard-issue glass armor really detract from the wonderful guns. Chapayev explodes and sinks if anything looks at it too hard and it's sturdier than the lower tier ships. I hated Chappy so much I just FXPed past Donkey and I try never to do that. Moskva is a big change from the others. No question why they are taking her out of the line. 

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
1,050 posts
8,580 battles
Just now, Tzarevitch said:

Thankfully I finished. I must admit I really don't like the Soviet line cruisers. Dreadful agility and standard-issue glass armor really detract from the wonderful guns. Chapayev explodes and sinks if anything looks at it too hard and it's sturdier than the lower tier ships. I hated Chappy so much I just FXPed past Donkey and I try never to do that. Moskva is a big change from the others. No question why they are taking her out of the line. 

I think you nailed it: it’s not a “fun” grind. There’ll always be stinker ships, but most grinds I’ve found to be fun. The Soviet cruiser Line is just... boring. Boring and unforgiving. Boring, unforgiving, and dreadful.

[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles

Yeah, I'm struggling with them also and I'm only at tier 7. I have never been so easily dev struck while angled as I have with these.

[WW2]
Members
341 posts
6,785 battles

I just finished my moskva grind last night. I enjoyed the sischors and chappy to an extent. To be honest dom donskoi isn't a bad ship but you are right the teams just killed the experience. I was either top 3 in my losses or middle to bottom in my wins because my team was either great or horrible. I was thinking of grinding out another 200k to have when the split happens but right now I kinda feel a little ptsd.

Members
217 posts
9,705 battles

I wasn't a big fan of the line till I got to Donskoi which is a blast to play. IMO I think its more fun to play (in randoms) than Moskva which was why I kept it and had a dedicated captain long before they announced the line split. 

[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles

Matchmaking is utterly killing my Shchors experience. I had great fun with Budyonny as I was typically in tier 6 or 7 games. But my Shchors is constantly placed into Tier 9 matches, and the 16.7km range and totally non existent armor is really painful. And if I play super passively and wait for my team to push ... they don't and just potato themselves to the map border. It's like watching some old cartoons where some army general asks for volunteers and everyone but one person takes a step backwards, lol.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles

The day this split was announced (Feb 6, IIRC), I was at the Shchors with the B hull barely unlocked and the fire control not researched. I sat down and did the numbers on how much XP I would need to grind every day, assuming that the Euro DD release was two patches long (which indeed it turned out to be), and neglecting the B fire control systems to get through the hulls as quickly as possible. It didn't hurt that WG took out the Donskoi B hull and gave us back the SHIP XP we'd used to research it.

It wasn't much, and because it wasn't much I found myself consistently exceeding the requirements every day and seeing by just how much I could exceed them. I got there a couple of weekends ago; it took me about five weeks from declaration of intent.

Moskva's now in my port, where she will sit until she goes premium/"special". As for the rest, they can wait. The Shchors in particular can wait. I don't NEED to grind her in any great hurry, because I don't have the urgent, impatient rush to get the Tallinn on day one that others do. The urgent, time-critical thing is done. The Russian cruisers can take a break until such time as I feel like playing them again.

It was an interesting experiment in finding out just how quickly I could grind to the top. It was greatly helped, I will admit, by having more than enough FXP to do the job if I should fail in the grind, but I'm very pleased I took the trouble to work through all the intervening ships. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The day this split was announced (Feb 6, IIRC), I was at the Shchors with the B hull barely unlocked and the fire control not researched. I sat down and did the numbers on how much XP I would need to grind every day, assuming that the Euro DD release was two patches long (which indeed it turned out to be), and neglecting the B fire control systems to get through the hulls as quickly as possible. It didn't hurt that WG took out the Donskoi B hull and gave us back the SHIP XP we'd used to research it.

It wasn't much, and because it wasn't much I found myself consistently exceeding the requirements every day and seeing by just how much I could exceed them. I got there a couple of weekends ago; it took me about five weeks from declaration of intent.

Moskva's now in my port, where she will sit until she goes premium/"special". As for the rest, they can wait. The Shchors in particular can wait. I don't NEED to grind her in any great hurry, because I don't have the urgent, impatient rush to get the Tallinn on day one that others do. The urgent, time-critical thing is done. The Russian cruisers can take a break until such time as I feel like playing them again.

It was an interesting experiment in finding out just how quickly I could grind to the top. It was greatly helped, I will admit, by having more than enough FXP to do the job if I should fail in the grind, but I'm very pleased I took the trouble to work through all the intervening ships. 

too bad you can't do UU grind for moskva.  that would be real pain in coop.   :D

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles

Moskva provided a good incentive to finish my Chapayev grind. If I was further away from Moskva, I may have not ground her out.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,004 posts
22,002 battles

Lol, I guess this is why I am seeing so much of Chappy and Donskoi. 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’ve been through many grinds, across many lines. The Moskva grind isn’t the toughest grind, it’s easy enough to spam he at max range for xp. The gun arcs are good, and the HE damage is manageable, even if the fire starting with IFHE is horrendous. What makes the grind tough is the people I played with, and the game experience at Top Tier in general.

Watching as one team beat the lights out of another game in and out, with teams whose dds would die within three minutes of match start, bbs who would fire HE the entire game, with cruisers who don’t know what good positioning is, slowly broke down my patience for even the most minor of mistakes. Every citadel I took because the bus that is the Dimitri Donskoi cannot wiggle it’s aft compounded on that erosion, until all that was left was a bitter, irritated, husk of a captain whose optimism was replaced by sheer negativity.

I feel horrible about some of the things I’ve said to other captains in sheer frustration, and some things I don’t, be it for truth or just spite. And yet my grind isn’t over. I’m just over halfway to Moskva. Thus tomorrow upon restart, my daily grind will begin anew. However, I urge you captains: please, do not let a grind consume your love for the game. At the rate I’m going, I’ll probably uninstall, and that’s a damn shame. Don’t let the same happen to you.

The DM is amazing. Stay at 15 plus and he away.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,050 posts
8,580 battles
10 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

You know you're probably going to have to regrind the Donskoi for the new tier ten ship?  That should be so much fun.

I’m not interested. I’m only grinding the Soviet line in the first place because of Moskva being a Premium ship. That’s all.

[ICBM]
Members
820 posts
9,325 battles

Maybe grinding coal for it on other ships will be a more pleasant experience.

Members
1,045 posts
4,367 battles

Da Da Da

Russian Cruisers are designed for very long range combat compared to their peers, thanks to their longer than average firing range and flat ballistic arcs on their guns. Moskva is a bit of a rough transition, as you go from light cruiser to pocket-battleship from the Dmitri Donskoi ( which is why they are splitting the line and moving Moskva to "Special Ship" status ). The Alexsander Nevsky should resolve the transition issues quite nicely, though I doubt it will be of much effect to pacify the massive angry horde that is constantly lurking around and waiting to call Russian Bias

But that's a discussion for another day. Leave it to a rant thread.

:SerB:

[NEIN]
[NEIN]
Members
52 posts
24,289 battles

So my question here is about the Moskva, not necessarily the grind but how will this split work???   I currently have the Moskva and the grind for it as others have mentioned is akin to purposefully slamming your fingers in a car door.  Since I cant see WG taking it away from me and making it only available in the Armory,  will I be given the Nevsky or will I have to go back and regrind from the Damn Donkey ???

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
2 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Why did you grind the Moskva? Heck, why do you grind at all? In my opinion, the Moskva isn't worth grinding down the tech tree in the first place. 

• Boring 1

[PMWC1]
Members
165 posts
5,290 battles

I did not enjoy the Shchors at all and FXPed to the Chapeyev after 20 battles with a 25% win rate (won my first 3 then went 2-15).

Somehow the Chapeyev is getting much better results (55% win rate) even though they play similarly.  Maybe the matchmaking?  I’m clueless other than bad luck.

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles
4 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

You know is funny you say all of this.

My trip from Donskoi to Moskva was one of worse trips from 9 to 10 in term of team mate and player skill I have ever do in this game.

This too frustrate me to all end of the world and make me question why I am here to do this.

Well I have Moskva and I have take her out only 2 or 3 time as of late.  Some personal problem and no fun in the game have limit me playing the game. But is always fun to read forums.

Even if to pray for better event or game or player to be better.

But I understand everything you go through.

[DPG]
Members
1,919 posts
9,549 battles

Once you realize that this game isn't meant to be "fun" you'll stop caring.

[36]
Members
452 posts
10,059 battles

I really enjoy Dmitry Donskoi, something about it just clicks for me. I run it with both rudder shift upgrades instead of concealment and stay at range, kiting and spamming until late in the game when the radar can sometimes be quite the advantage. I really hate the stationary, park next to an island and bow-tank game that Moskva so often seems to tend toward.

[M-T-B]
Members
98 posts
7,660 battles

Various lines feature ships with a play style (Camping, Radar, AA etc).  Few players understand your ships play style (let alone theirs) so the flank you hoped to support next to an island with your Russian Cruiser collapses and the rush of Red ships flushes you out where you wind up doing what the ship was never meant for.  Twenty or so battles of this kind not only makes you hate the grind but the ship.  Keep Grinding ... that is all