You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Caernavon

Großer Kurfürst Is Good For Target Practice

7 comments in this topic

[KAOS_]
Members
18 posts
8,075 battles

This was the first Tier 10 I ever obtained. And to be honest, it's close to becoming the first Tier 10 I have ever sold. The ship is a worthless pile of junk in its' current configuration.

The problem just seems to boil down to a question of meta. It's a ship specialized for short-range battle in a game where long-range is king.

• Kurfürst's armor scheme is vulnerable to long-range, high-caliber plunging fire. This combines with her mediocre long-range accuracy to leave her disadvantaged in long-range engagements (for example, Yamato).
  • A substantial amount of Kurfürst's firepower is vested in her secondaries, which have to be at least within 11.6km to engage.
  • Kurfürst's massive size betrays her...she's impossible to conceal and is easily lit on fire by HE shells. Smolensk is an eternal torment for me in this ship.
  • Kurfürst has horrid maneuverability....even with the rudder upgrade, it's impossible in most circumstances to avoid enemy fire.
  • Kurfürst's gimmick (Hydroacoustics) rarely alerts her in time to avoid danger (like a torpedo spread).
  • Kurfürst's AA is "meh", again discouraging long-range combat where she can be picked apart by a carrier at will.
  • Kurfürst's torpedo protection is "meh", which makes taking her into islands where DD's might be lurking even more hazardous than it already was.

I've done everything I can to prop this ship up. She has the legendary upgrade. She also has a L19 Lutjens captain on her. But as punishing as the secondaries can be, I find it's not very common for me to get close enough to use them.....either I did so by overextending, getting focused, and getting sunk, or I held back and let everybody else do the work, and moved in to mop up after the battle was already decided.

Recent guides that I've read suggest abandoning the secondary build entirely and going with a sort of milquetoast, generic BB build. But if you do that, then I have to ask, "Why the hell would you play Kurfürst at all in that case"? I mean, every warship in this game is theoretically balanced with the others. Every feature on a ship comes along a continuum of mobility, firepower, and protection....for one area to be exceptional, there must be a deficiency somewhere else. Kurfürst has significant power in her secondaries. She pays for that firepower in other areas. If you're not even going to use that power, then you're playing a severely flawed ship. Even if you build her without paying attention to the secondaries, she's got to compete against other opponents who DIDN'T make that investment in secondaries, and are simply better than her. Conquerer can just laugh at her and sail away while setting horrible, horrible fires. Yamato can hurl death from ranges far exceeding her. Thunderer, ditto. It goes on and on.

I have a 1095 PR with the ship, which is truly abysmal, and it isn't for lack of trying. I'm not an elite player...my overall PR is middling. But the ship is simply a horrible ship in its' current configuration. It isn't just the close-range thing that dooms her.....I have a 1671 PR with Tirpitz, and a 1474 PR with Bismarck, which are decent. I have a rating of 1656 with Massachusetts, and a 1556 PR with Georgia. So it's possible to be a halfway successful close-quarters ship. It's just the combination of weaknesses that are overwhelming for Kurfürst. Her armor and weaponry require her to be at close range, but her mobility, size, and torpedo protection are all liabilities that she cannot conceal.

• Cool 3

Members
3,075 posts
15,923 battles

It's not my favorite BB but it has it's moments. For me it's a hit or miss type of ship. I've had some really good battles with it. 

I see so many Kurfurst showing full broadside continuously in battles. This is a ship with a higher skill ceiling. You need to know how to angle all times and never sit still. Some ships take much longer to master. This is one of them.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

Don't worry about the secondaries, if you get in range for them fine but if you don't you will still wreck face with the main guns.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles

The gk isn't the best bb, that honor belongs to the yamato. However, the gk is still really good and many claims to its worthlessness comes down to user error. 

Members
1,057 posts
4,376 battles

Grosser Kurfurst is the ultimate evolution of the German Battleship Mantra. She's impossible to citadel ( unless you get very lucky ), and she has an endless HP pool from which to draw upon ( 105,800 HP isn't unending, but you get the point ). Her guns have impressive midrange shell arcs ( 810 meters per second and massive penetration capability, which, combined with the fact that she lobs 12 16 inch shells every 25 seconds or so ( with MBM3 and 406mm guns slotted, which are the ones I use ), she has the ability to overwhelm most cruisers and battleships with effort. Her secondary batteries have improved penetration over all comers, and you don't have to spec into IFHE to make them work, which frees you up to use Fire Prevention or BoS + HA. Her maneuverability is terrible, yes. However, that Hydro plus high speed and a fast rudder allows you to get the hell out of dodge before you get your butt whipped by a Shimakaze ( or worse ).

Just don't bother to hide. It's idiotic to hide in such a massive piece of work, anyways. ( She's not pretty, but she's elegeant, as is typical of German Battleships )

:SerB:

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[SEA-7]
Members
252 posts
5,160 battles
On 3/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, Caernavon said:

This was the first Tier 10 I ever obtained. And to be honest, it's close to becoming the first Tier 10 I have ever sold. The ship is a worthless pile of junk in its' current configuration.

The problem just seems to boil down to a question of meta. It's a ship specialized for short-range battle in a game where long-range is king.

• Kurfürst's armor scheme is vulnerable to long-range, high-caliber plunging fire. This combines with her mediocre long-range accuracy to leave her disadvantaged in long-range engagements (for example, Yamato).
  • A substantial amount of Kurfürst's firepower is vested in her secondaries, which have to be at least within 11.6km to engage.
  • Kurfürst's massive size betrays her...she's impossible to conceal and is easily lit on fire by HE shells. Smolensk is an eternal torment for me in this ship.
  • Kurfürst has horrid maneuverability....even with the rudder upgrade, it's impossible in most circumstances to avoid enemy fire.
  • Kurfürst's gimmick (Hydroacoustics) rarely alerts her in time to avoid danger (like a torpedo spread).
  • Kurfürst's AA is "meh", again discouraging long-range combat where she can be picked apart by a carrier at will.
  • Kurfürst's torpedo protection is "meh", which makes taking her into islands where DD's might be lurking even more hazardous than it already was.

I've done everything I can to prop this ship up. She has the legendary upgrade. She also has a L19 Lutjens captain on her. But as punishing as the secondaries can be, I find it's not very common for me to get close enough to use them.....either I did so by overextending, getting focused, and getting sunk, or I held back and let everybody else do the work, and moved in to mop up after the battle was already decided.

Recent guides that I've read suggest abandoning the secondary build entirely and going with a sort of milquetoast, generic BB build. But if you do that, then I have to ask, "Why the hell would you play Kurfürst at all in that case"? I mean, every warship in this game is theoretically balanced with the others. Every feature on a ship comes along a continuum of mobility, firepower, and protection....for one area to be exceptional, there must be a deficiency somewhere else. Kurfürst has significant power in her secondaries. She pays for that firepower in other areas. If you're not even going to use that power, then you're playing a severely flawed ship. Even if you build her without paying attention to the secondaries, she's got to compete against other opponents who DIDN'T make that investment in secondaries, and are simply better than her. Conquerer can just laugh at her and sail away while setting horrible, horrible fires. Yamato can hurl death from ranges far exceeding her. Thunderer, ditto. It goes on and on.

I have a 1095 PR with the ship, which is truly abysmal, and it isn't for lack of trying. I'm not an elite player...my overall PR is middling. But the ship is simply a horrible ship in its' current configuration. It isn't just the close-range thing that dooms her.....I have a 1671 PR with Tirpitz, and a 1474 PR with Bismarck, which are decent. I have a rating of 1656 with Massachusetts, and a 1556 PR with Georgia. So it's possible to be a halfway successful close-quarters ship. It's just the combination of weaknesses that are overwhelming for Kurfürst. Her armor and weaponry require her to be at close range, but her mobility, size, and torpedo protection are all liabilities that she cannot conceal.

This is exactly how I feel in my Freddy. To set her up without secondaries in mind ... whats the point? I have a Japanese and American line for that. I am usually at half health five minutes in. Melted or torp'd to death. Shooting at something farther than 12k? Fuggetaboutit. Super frustrating to be handing out a salvo for 2500k damage and on the receiving end of endless 5k salvos from cruisers. I really enjoyed the idea and concept of a brawling BB, so much so that I am finishing the line, but if you can't beat em. Plan on playing a lot more with my Helena and similar in the future. 

Members
388 posts

German BB are total garbage in the current meta.  I love seeing them on the other team.  HP pinatas.  Please play yours.

• Boring 1