You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

European DD event

33 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

While I would say the odds are in my favor of getting enough tokens for the T6 Vasterå, it is not a sure bet with only 230 tokens after opening the 3rd set of directives containers.

I've had bad luck in the recent "early access" events. As with the British heavy cruisers the T5 European DD does not persuade me to go further in this line.  From the comment of my division mates grinding the Vasterå's camo have made it is about as worthless as the Visby.

Some may have a high opinion of the British CA's & the European DD's than I. I have no problem with that.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
4,262 posts
18,624 battles
19 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

While I would say the odds are in my favor of getting enough tokens for the T6 Vasterå, it is not a sure bet with only 230 tokens after opening the 3rd set of directives containers.

I've had bad luck in the recent "early access" events. As with the British heavy cruisers the T5 European DD does not persuade me to go further in this line.  From the comment of my division mates grinding the Vasterå's camo have made it is about as worthless as the Visby.

Some may have a high opinion of the British CA's & the European DD's than I. I have no problem with that.

These events are "Buy to Achieve" events.  Sales gimmicks to get whales, diehards and collectors (whales that limit themselves) to immediately spend and spend some more !!!  These events have nothing to do with F2P players.  They are specifically targeted to whales and their ilk.   So, the rest of us take what is free and ignore the rest.....  Free stuff is free stuff.  The British, the French and now this European events are all designed around "early access buying" and have gambling elements to capture "that money" as well......

There's another PR ship building event coming and dollars to donuts it will be another "early access" sales paradigm......  Because it is all our host is capable of it seems....  Take the free stuff and join the rest of us whom are done spending on mediocre and childish events.....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,661 posts
8,800 battles
9 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

These events are "Buy to Achieve" events.  Sales gimmicks to get whales, diehards and collectors (whales that limit themselves) to immediately spend and spend some more !!!  These events have nothing to do with F2P players.  They are specifically targeted to whales and their ilk.   So, the rest of us take what is free and ignore the rest.....  Free stuff is free stuff.  The British, the French and now this European events are all designed around "early access buying" and have gambling elements to capture "that money" as well......

There's another PR ship building event coming and dollars to donuts it will be another "early access" sales paradigm......  Because it is all our host is capable of it seems....  Take the free stuff and join the rest of us whom are done spending on mediocre and childish events.....

Oh no a company that seeks revenue!!

THE HORROR.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

The British, the French and now this European events are all designed around "early access buying" and have gambling elements to capture "that money" as well......

They ALL are, and were, right from the first one I ever took part in (the French battleships). It's just that we don't get bottomless supplies of premium containers in the store any more, so it doesn't FEEL like the previous events did, and people with short memories forget this.

I have absolutely no hesitation about spending money on this game when WG gives me something that I want and consider worth it (e.g. a year of half-price premium time; certain specific ships), but I absolutely WILL NOT spend money on the early release of a tech-tree line that will be free for me to obtain in another four weeks. That's just stupid.

(I would have bought the Albemarle or Surrey if they'd been first in the doubloon-bundle queue, but they were a special case. The permacamo for those ships alone was worth more in-game than the asking price for the bundles, and it represented a significant discount. Even then, I would have waited until I'd used up all my token shots to make sure I didn't duplicate anything.)

• Cool 4

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,537 posts
13,904 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They ALL are, and were, right from the first one I ever took part in (the French battleships). It's just that we don't get bottomless supplies of premium containers in the store any more, so it doesn't FEEL like the previous events did, and people with short memories forget this.

I have absolutely no hesitation about spending money on this game when WG gives me something that I want and consider worth it (e.g. a year of half-price premium time; certain specific ships), but I absolutely WILL NOT spend money on the early release of a tech-tree line that will be free for me to obtain in another four weeks. That's just stupid.

(I would have bought the Albemarle or Surrey if they'd been first in the doubloon-bundle queue, but they were a special case. The permacamo for those ships alone was worth more in-game than the asking price for the bundles, and it represented a significant discount. Even then, I would have waited until I'd used up all my token shots to make sure I didn't duplicate anything.)

Look at me agreeing with @Ensign_Cthulhu more than once in a day! :Smile_izmena:

I get that some people feel that events are designed to MAKE you spend money to do the things you can do for free if you just wait some. But the power of free will, should rule here folks. Case in point I had a conversation with a friend about the perma-camo's you can grind for applied to the new EU DD's. They were not a DD main and complaining that it was hard to get the perma camo for the Visby.

So I posed a simple question: "are you going to play the Visby a lot after these DD's go live?"  They're answer, "No, I barely play DD's." My reply: "So um, WHY are you so upset about working towards a camo you won't even use!?"

-Hapa

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
4,262 posts
18,624 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I agree.  I bought one European gambling box because it had the max tokens in it for doubloons because they were a gift to me.....  The issue is that the sales paradigm has shifted to buy first...........with the quality following that cheapened process as you mentioned.  Tie in all of the other "gimmicks" to limit player profits and those rumored to come, the game will implode for many because they expect more quality that a cheap arcade game can give....  I believe the game can be better than this bleak future current sale methods have provided. 

I will not spend real money on this game.....  But, it is fading in my expectations but, I'll hold on till the clan has had enough.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
7 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Look at me agreeing with @Ensign_Cthulhu more than once in a day! 

Today, Hapa; tomorrow, the world. :fish_haloween:

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

lol.     I may or may not get skane'     depending on  how the crate works out.  I am working on the 3 from the twitch cast, but need 1700 ,1800 and 1900 bxp  to go.   That alone makes it impossible for many players.    if I get those 3 plus 7 from the directive,   barring horrid   rng, I should have  skane .    considering I only ended up with t5 in UK CA ,  no complaint. 

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,070 battles

If you calculate the price of the perma camos and use that as a cost basis to obtain these ships, I don't mind spending a little money to get them early. I don't mind spending money on the game, although I have passed on all the premium ships for the last 6-7 months as I haven't been impressed, but did get the London via in game missions.

[PVE]
Members
4,262 posts
18,624 battles
3 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Look at me agreeing with @Ensign_Cthulhu more than once in a day! :Smile_izmena:

I get that some people feel that events are designed to MAKE you spend money to do the things you can do for free if you just wait some. But the power of free will, should rule here folks. Case in point I had a conversation with a friend about the perma-camo's you can grind for applied to the new EU DD's. They were not a DD main and complaining that it was hard to get the perma camo for the Visby.

So I posed a simple question: "are you going to play the Visby a lot after these DD's go live?"  They're answer, "No, I barely play DD's." My reply: "So um, WHY are you so upset about working towards a camo you won't even use!?"

-Hapa

You do realize that compulsion is what drives gambling.....  Now, that is a very small minority of the players in game but, I am compelled to "finish what I start" without spending a real penny.  You should be asking yourself, "what would it take to get me to spend a real penny"......?  "Me" as in those of us on the fence in this game.....

To answer your question to your post:  "because it is there..."  I'll never use the European DD's !!!  But, what else is there to do, eh???   2019 changed the sales paradigm for your team and the British, the French and now the European events are all built on that sales model............and, they are just "cheap versions of what we used to have...." as the ensign alluded to nicely.....    Expand them, build in rewards that make some sense to the F2P side and that have real value and your sales margins will go up !   That is all I am saying:  You will reap what you sow"  and that means, you have to plant "good seeds"......  Quality = higher profits.....

• Cool 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Considering the british CAs, im quite lucky with the swedish DDs so far. Up to now i got Visby and Vasteras and im only 20 tokens away from Skane. As long as i complete the next directives im assured to get at least the T7 and maybe the T8 if im lucky. Much better than the british CAs event where i got only Hawkins. 

But yeah, early access event are just to "force" players to spend money. Lots of players with the T9 swedish DD from day 1. IMO not worth, i wont spent money on something that i can get for free in a couple months. 

If you are not willing to spend money, than you rely a lot on lucky. British CA i was unlucky, now im doing ok with the swedish DDs. 

[PVE]
Members
4,262 posts
18,624 battles
31 minutes ago, Tigermaus said:

Oh no a company that seeks revenue!!

THE HORROR.

The point being that Quality equals greater profits and retention......  Making money is great !!!!  But, doing so cheaply, with sales gimmicks all over the place and with no vision for the future, isn't world class......  That's all I am saying.,....

And, that framework for highly successful video game companies is out there to emulate !  With some of them with a million players on-line every hour.........  How they do that is "player first, sales always".......  And that, is a tough act to follow and, as our esteemed Ensign allude to, what this game did earlier in it's life was really a good idea: quality rewards for effort no matter if you "bought in" or just "F2P'd"......  Now, it's a single flag for an event task that you had to spend days grinding........some quality reward for that effort, eh?  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
7 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Lots of players with the T9 swedish DD from day 1. IMO not worth, i wont spent money on something that i can get for free in a couple months. 

Agree completely. 

In fairness, at the moment there are a lot of people who because of circumstances aren't throwing their money around in the places they normally would, so it's all coming here. 

3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

what this game did earlier in it's life was really a good idea: quality rewards for effort no matter if you "bought in" or just "F2P'd"......  Now, it's a single flag for an event task that you had to spend days grinding........some quality reward for that effort, eh?  

If the grind is that disproportionate to the reward, I'll simply ignore the grind. It's that easy

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
24 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

I'm not sure if I would admit to agreeing with Ensign_Cthulhu once in a day, much less twice in the same day :Smile_veryhappy:

I do believe enticing players to invest more $$$ in the game is part of the reason for these events. WG gotta make some money for the game to survive. But as you stated it is your free will that determines if you should or shouldn't spend your $$$. 

Like the British CA line, the T5 Visby does not impress me enough to grind the line. However if I get the T6 Vasterå I will grind the camo mission even if I only take it out for snowflake rewards. Who knows, the ship's short comings may be buffed. Again, that is just me.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

when grind to t10 is less than 100 matches,  it  isn't that hard to do.    already  half way through drake.    almost done with 3rd UU  .     may have to reset   italian cruisers  just to have something to do   :P   .     17.5k  bxp for skane (assuming I get  enough token)    will need bit of work, but should get me ready for t8 upon release.

T5 and t6    swedish DD has been more than strong enough.  different play style, but effective in its role.      won't really need a buff

Edited by centarina

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Agree completely. 

In fairness, at the moment there are a lot of people who because of circumstances aren't throwing their money around in the places they normally would, so it's all coming here. 

If the grind is that disproportionate to the reward, I'll simply ignore the grind. It's that easy

I have asked this before why do the grind if the reward is not worth it and the reply I always get is I have OCD I have to do everything .

Well that's OK I understand that but then you really can't come to the forums and complain about long grinds for lousy rewards . You have the option to just not do it .

Members
3,076 posts
15,923 battles

I'll probably use the tokens to for more flags. No interest in tier 6 Euro DD. I would have gone for the T8 or T9 if they were actually obtainable. If I change my mind down the road I can easily free XP to tier 6 or 7.  That will depend on whether they bother to fix magical see through islands radar. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

at least for me, there is no real grind since each bote can be done very quickly.  t5 is short , t6 can be done in operation (and even t7  if narai is on)     only t8/9 can take bit of time, but since I only play it for win a day,  it is pretty easy.   heck  Unique upgrades has been more of a pain for me.    

[INTEL]
Members
3,057 posts
16,810 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

The Directive tokens allowed me to get Visby and Vasteras.  While I enjoy DD's more than any other class, I'm not yet a fan of the Pan EU line...yet.  Past experience has shown me that my tastes may change (e.g. RU DDs are now fun whereas I didn't like them last year).  

I have quite a few T5 DDs that I very much enjoy so the Visby is not all that appealing right now.  I'm taking the approach now to just grind the Vasteras, get the camo and have, or be close having, the XP for the Skane when the full line drops.  The Vasteras has been a monster in quite a few Co-Op battles I've taken it into.  I've had several 100k+ Co-Op battles in it so far.  Very good for T6.  I'm not comfortable taking it into Randoms yet as my primary DD playstyle has been low detection torp boat.

[PVE]
Members
11,838 posts
24,524 battles
24 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I have asked this before why do the grind if the reward is not worth it and the reply I always get is I have OCD I have to do everything .

Well that's OK I understand that but then you really can't come to the forums and complain about long grinds for lousy rewards . You have the option to just not do it .

My response to you about being OCD in the other thread was in jest. I am not actually afflicted with OCD even though I say it a lot (again it's more a joke when I do). However, I do have a thing where I like to do all the lines in the game to T10.  That is even when I dislike them like RU DD's for example. Part of the game is grinding tech trees and it is something to do.

Also, these early access events actually make that grind easier by removing the need to play T4 and below (not a big fan of most ships in that range honestly) and even giving me a chance to get all the way to T8 or even T9 if my RNG is good. It's a lot easier to grind from T8/T9 to T10 than it is T1-T10. In a line you don't really care for that is a big advantage and plus IMO "IF" like me you want to have all lines in game done (also a big help for a Co-op main as rewards there are low so grinding is much longer). If you don't care about that then ok. It is a motivating factor for me however. 

I was able to get all the EU DD's this event through some extraordinarily lucky RNG (4X 140 crates and 4X 250 crates). In addition to the ships there was also the missions for the free perma camos which I have also finished. I also got a free perma for the T10 for doing the other 5 missions when it drops which saves me a lot. That is 16,000 doubloons worth of free perma camos I got by grinding those missions even though I hate the EU DD's.

• T5 = 1000 Doubloons
  • T6 = 1000 Doubloons
  • T7 = 2000 Doubloons
  • T8 = 3000 Doubloons
  • T9 = 4000 Doubloons
  • T10 = 5000 Doubloons
  • 1+1+2+3+4+5 = 16
  • 16,000 Doubloons = approx $64.00 USD
  • This is standard perma rates - event ones cost more usually - also got a Smaland camo so another 4K doubloons but I won't buy the ship so not counting

That was a lot of perma camos to pass on. The grind for the camo mission in the T9 netted me over 1/2 of the XP needed for the T10 as well. So I can either suck it up and grind the rest or use a lot less FXP than would be needed grinding it from scratch. Don't forget in addition to the ship itself you get in early access they come fully upgraded which saves even more grinding.

Another thing about getting ships even if you don't like them is for reward purposes. There are flake events that give Coal and Steel and oft times if you have a large and diversified fleet you can have an easier time in directive tasks. Who knows if down the road these EU DD's might not make some task or another I am doing easier?

In the end despite not caring for them and finding the BXP grind requirements for the camos onerous and too high I added 5 more ships I can use in the future for events and I got $60+ worth of free camos (well I did buy a few armory bundles but not $60 worth - much less - so I am ahead). And to be clear I am not complaining about the rewards (the camos are great). I am complaining the amount of grinding to do the missions was a bit much.

:Smile_honoring:

[SALVO]
Members
4,437 posts
3,825 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Disagree. It is a well designed strategy and caters to all. As F2P I got Visby with perma camo and probably Vasteras (if lucky enough with token rolls), I can see people buying some containers to round up the tokens needed for the "last" ship (example Vasteras in my case). That's a free ship with free ship port that you won't get by "normal" grind, there's a bit for everyone, the developer gets some profit, everyone is happy. I think this kind of events to introduce new lines are a positive feature for everyone.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles
10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

My response to you about being OCD in the other thread was in jest. I am not actually afflicted with OCD even though I say it a lot (again it's more a joke when I do). However, I do have a thing where I like to do all the lines in the game to T10.  That is even when I dislike them like RU DD's for example. Part of the game is grinding tech trees and it is something to do.

Also, these early access events actually make that grind easier by removing the need to play T4 and below (not a big fan of most ships in that range honestly) and even giving me a chance to get all the way to T8 or even T9 if my RNG is good. It's a lot easier to grind from T8/T9 to T10 than it is T1-T10. In a line you don't really care for that is a big advantage and plus IMO "IF" like me you want to have all lines in game done (also a big help for a Co-op main as rewards there are low so grinding is much longer). If you don't care about that then ok. It is a motivating factor for me however. 

I was able to get all the EU DD's this event through some extraordinarily lucky RNG (4X 140 crates and 4X 250 crates). In addition to the ships there was also the missions for the free perma camos which I have also finished. I also got a free perma for the T10 for doing the other 5 missions when it drops which saves me a lot. That is 16,000 doubloons worth of free perma camos I got by grinding those missions even though I hate the EU DD's.

• T5 = 1000 Doubloons
  • T6 = 1000 Doubloons
  • T7 = 2000 Doubloons
  • T8 = 3000 Doubloons
  • T9 = 4000 Doubloons
  • T10 = 5000 Doubloons
  • 1+1+2+3+4+5 = 16
  • 16,000 Doubloons = approx $64.00 USD
  • This is standard perma rates - event ones cost more usually - also got a Smaland camo so another 4K doubloons but I won't buy the ship so not counting

That was a lot of perma camos to pass on. The grind for the camo mission in the T9 netted me over 1/2 of the XP needed for the T10 as well. So I can either suck it up and grind the rest or use a lot less FXP than would be needed grinding it from scratch. Don't forget in addition to the ship itself you get in early access they come fully upgraded which saves even more grinding.

Another thing about getting ships even if you don't like them is for reward purposes. There are flake events that give Coal and Steel and oft times if you have a large and diversified fleet you can have an easier time in directive tasks. Who knows if down the road these EU DD's might not make some task or another I am doing easier?

In the end despite not caring for them and finding the BXP grind requirements for the camos onerous and too high I added 5 more ships I can use in the future for events and I got $60+ worth of free camos (well I did buy a few armory bundles but not $60 worth - much less - so I am ahead). And to be clear I am not complaining about the rewards (the camos are great). I am complaining the amount of grinding to do the missions was a bit much.

:Smile_honoring:

I wasn't just referencing you Admiral quite a few people said they have OCD when it comes to completing missions all said in jest I'm pretty sure . 

I didn't mean to infer that you were one of those people who seriously complain about the rewards and the grind I don't think you are sorry if i made it seem that way .

But there are quite a few people who do and I was just pointing out you don't have to do every mission it's optional .

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,838 posts
24,524 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

I wasn't just referencing you Admiral quite a few people said they have OCD when it comes to completing missions all said in jest I'm pretty sure . 

I didn't mean to infer that you were one of those people who seriously complain about the rewards and the grind I don't think you are sorry if i made it seem that way .

But there are quite a few people who do and I was just pointing out you don't have to do every mission it's optional .

We are good. Just explaining a bit more for you. No offense was taken.

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I play DDs, yet I thought the same thing.

• Cool 1

[QC_1_]
Beta Testers
141 posts
6,686 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

Can we deactivate the missions on our account so they do not show? Might be slightly OCD, but some of us like to complete missions.... and feel slighted when the reward is bad. Allowing to "not-show" missions would be a godsent.