You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

Where do you think the Sweet Spot in Randoms is atm ?

18 comments in this topic

Members
73 posts
106 battles

HI

From my noobish experiences:

T3  and below - does it matter

T4  I found to be  Toxic with often two CVs a side - you were basically target practice

T5  by contrast is a lot of fun, often had close intense battles 

T6  also seems goodish

T7  is Ok - sometimes uptiered to T9 which is a pain

T8 - well it often seems I am rubbing shoulders with TX and T9  and I feel underwhelmed by the experience 

T9  it starts to get fun again - I feel I can again have a direct impact on the battle like in T5 and possibly T6

TX  I don't have a ship to use - cant say

Welcome anyone else's insight and thoughts ?

Thanks

[WOLFC]
Members
2,565 posts
11,054 battles
12 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

Unless you’re playing a CL, in which case every time you’re uptiered is a pain post IFHE rework. :Smile_sceptic:

I’ve always enjoyed tier 8 myself, even before the recent(ish) MM changes. Partly because of the prevalence of iconic ships, but also because I enjoy the challenge of slapping around tier 10s and making bank doing it.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles

If by tier, 6-8 is the best zone due to premiums that are efficient and effective.

For MM times, wee hours of the morning around 5-7 am CDT. That's 3 am West coast and 6 am East coast.

I don't know why, but maybe the sleepy heads up are easily laid back and the matches are interesting without salt.

Also there are players from countries that are daylight or afternoon for them and for the most part rather polite. Most hail from Australia, New Zealand, and parts along the Pacific rim.

You do get that occasional European player and CIS , because they have accounts in NA and are curious of what we do here and because I guess they like the atmosphere at that time slot.

If anything, NA server players from North America specifically, might take a cue on attitude about game play from them.

I rarely have met anyone rude. Funny yes, rude no.

Give that a try.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,830 posts
4,285 battles

T9 isn't bad ATM. Very often it's same tier, and sometimes downtiered. And even if you are uptiered it's only by 1 so not that bad.

T7 is still pretty good, though as someone said not T7 CLs, those got badly screwed in the IFHE rework.

T4 and 5 is CV heaven right now, 3 CVs per side isn't unusual. Would hate to be a DD, except Visby, that thing seems to actually have AA that works.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,055 posts
13,816 battles
16 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

If anything, NA server players from North America specifically, might take a cue on attitude about game play from them.

I rarely have met anyone rude. Funny yes, rude no.

Give that a try.

Good comment SteelRain. Will try randoms in that time slot.The kak that players throw out is just annoying and, in my opinion, childish. I hope it is not the usual hide away game tho'. 

Thanks.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

There isn't one unless you enjoy the T10 meta. They have systematically destroyed the mid tiers to force people to move up(because that's where they make all their money). Why do you think the last few lines have been lackluster to bad until T8?

Members
4,085 posts
44,091 battles
16 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Good comment SteelRain. Will try randoms in that time slot.The kak that players throw out is just annoying and, in my opinion, childish. I hope it is not the usual hide away game tho'. 

Thanks.

I think you won't be disappointed. The Russian players for instance,  just go in like they don't have all day. It's a war in the ring. They don't say much but they speak loudly with their guns. And they just love coordination. Especially with a CV. I got complimented a lot for being a team player.

You will find quite a few that do support well. Just communicate your intentions and don't be afraid to heed their advice. Most of them have been playing quite a while. So their experience is quite a gem.

I only stumbled upon this time frame because I work night shifts and get off at 3 or 4 am. But it suits me fine. I even did great in ranked until my hand got hurt.

So have fun out there.

<O

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,468 posts
13,117 battles

For me, teir 8. Usually don't have so many teir 10's in match that you get the teir 10 campfests, and there's plenty of ships available.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
8 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

HI

T4  I found to be  Toxic with often two CVs a side - you were basically target practice

T6  also seems goodish

T8 - well it often seems I am rubbing shoulders with TX and T9  and I feel underwhelmed by the experience 

T9  it starts to get fun again - I feel I can again have a direct impact on the battle like in T5 and possibly T6

Thanks

Before the last MM change several patches ago T7 was the "sweet spot" & T8 was pure hell, facing 9 or more T10's in a random as often, it not more often, than being top tiered. Since the change T7 is no longer the sweet spot but T8 improved greatly. I'm not saying T8 is good, only better than before. With WG adding several T9 premiums it seems I see more T9's now which also hurts T7 MM.

T9 can only be up tiered by one tier, which is a huge plus.

I would say the ships we are the most comfortable playing is a factor on which tier we enjoy the most.

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
9 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

HI

T6  also seems goodish

Thanks

17 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Before the last MM change several patches ago T7 was the "sweet spot" & T8 was pure hell, facing 9 or more T10's in a random as often, it not more often, than being top tiered. Since the change T7 is no longer the sweet spot but T8 improved greatly. I'm not saying T8 is good, only better than before. With WG adding several T9 premiums it seems I see more T9's now which also hurts T7 MM.

T9 can only be up tiered by one tier, which is a huge plus.

I would say the ships we are the most comfortable playing is a factor on which tier we enjoy the most.

I strongly agree, its more about the ships you like than the tier, although the tier is important. In particular I like Tiers 5, 6 and 8 because of the Konigsberg, Nurnberg and the Mogami in particular. Fun ships that do okay even if they are bottom tier.  I even like tier 4 with the Phoenix but I agree its hard with 2 CVs per side. I honestly wish WG would put more effort into the low/mid-tiers so people would spend more time learning how to play there. I jumped too fast in trying to grind to tiers 8-10 only to find I wasn’t ready and got clobbered more times then I can count.  Now I’ve gone back to playing a lot of Tier 5-7 and now that I’m back to tier 8 its much more fun and I can contribute a lot more to my team.

[PVE]
Members
5,095 posts
22,557 battles
9 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

HI

T6  also seems goodish

Thanks

The sweet spot is COOP !  Randoms are such a mess with whatever the current meta is and then, throw in events and you get something just not worth doing....  +/- 2 and Planes and Radar have made a once good idea a nightmare involving "how to avoid everything".......instead of having a challenge to test naval skills you learn....   Think about this:  two gimmicks have completely changed the game.   Yes, HE spam is tough sometimes but, you can fight against it......   There is no fighting against Radar; once it is on, it is 100% effective (and, that never was the case in WW2).  There is no fighting against Planes....  AA is automatic and most DD"s can't out last planes (I've died many times as the last ship in a DD to a carrier.)

So COOP is the best place to be.   No enemy radar and a simpler version of planes....  When our host eliminates Scenarios by cutting their value in 1/2, all we will have left is COOP........  Then, that will go and we'll be gone as well......

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
2 minutes ago, RYANMK48 said:

I strongly agree, its more about the ships you like than the tier, although the tier is important. In particular I like Tiers 5, 6 and 8 because of the Konigsberg, Nurnberg and the Mogami in particular. Fun ships that do okay even if they are bottom tier.  I even like tier 4 with the Phoenix but I agree its hard with 2 CVs per side. I honestly wish WG would put more effort into the low/mid-tiers so people would spend more time learning how to play there. I jumped too fast in trying to grind to tiers 8-10 only to find I wasn’t ready and got clobbered more times then I can count.  Now I’ve gone back to playing a lot of Tier 5-7 and now that I’m back to tier 8 its much more fun and I can contribute a lot more to my team.

I tried to advance to quickly also. Since the MM change I've enjoyed T8 much more. The Fuso is one of my favorite ships so I do enjoy T6.

Members
7,122 posts
22,052 battles

I would say tier 9. 

I love when we get all tier 8 games.....Seems perfect.... And most of the ships actually existed. That counts for something, at least to me.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
7 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

And most of the ships actually existed.

Most of the ships in that bracket never existed though. Most nation's high tier ships are paper.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,945 battles
23 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

HI

T6  also seems goodish

Thanks

Randoms has a sweet spot? 

I'm nonplussed