Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
blaster_M1A2

Shell velocity calculation is way off

5 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
1,960 battles

Has anyone else noted that WG's shell velocity calculation is way off? As an example, for the Nevsky, stated shell velocity is 1000m\s, yet time to Target at 15km was 5 and change seconds. Call me crazy, but that's closer to 3000m\s. At 1000 m\s a Target at 15km should take 15 secs shell flight time. This applies to all shell velocity calculations I have observed. I haven't noticed anyone else talking about this. Thoughts?

[K-POP]
Members
4,846 posts
13,430 battles

Lots of stuff are compressed in WoWS, including both distance and time, and scale is skewed as well (ships are substantially bigger than they should be compared to other ships and the terrain). It's all done to make games last the 20 minute max they want them to, instead of potentially hours like real world engagements would have lasted.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Lots of stuff are compressed in WoWS, including both distance and time, and scale is skewed as well (ships are substantially bigger than they should be compared to other ships and the terrain). It's all done to make games last the 20 minute max they want them to, instead of potentially hours like real world engagements would have lasted.

This. Distance is compressed in WOWS, everything from ship dimensions to map size. If the maps were actually scaled properly you'd really have to do around 100knts (I think) to travel the way you do right now. The velocity is really just an arbitrary reference for comparison to other velocities, and really can't be related to real world numbers. Same with all distances in game. 

I believe the devs talk somewhere about how in early development they had real world dimensions, speeds, etc. But they found gameplay was boring, long range, and slow, so they compressed things. It makes many comparisons tricky, but is definitely the right call for gameplay.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,753 posts
6,003 battles
2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Ships are all correctly scaled to each other.   The other things you mention are correct.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,994 battles

As others said, things in-game are compressed for gameplay reasons. Otherwise things would be stretched out like a chewing gum.

For example if a ship with a constant 24kn (30kn base and 20% loss due to turning) speed and 800m turning radius would turn without compression, a 360 would take roundabout 417 seconds, or seven minutes. That‘s more than a third of how long a game can last. With the speed compression factor of 5.22 that time for a 360 goes down to 80 seconds, so a bit more than a minute. Much smoother for gameplay~

Shell velocity compression factor I noted at 3, so your observation matches this.

Sign in to follow this