Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

No Spotter Plane for Goliath?

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,357 posts
1,286 battles

I don't get it. Why do you lose this consumable that most of the line has available, upon reaching tier 10? Like the rest of the line, this ship's gun range is pretty short. I liked the Drake a lot, but this ship (for a tier 10) seems pretty lame. Why not just play Zao instead?

[-KAK-]
Members
585 posts
10,929 battles

Hopefully we'll get a helicopter eventually which functions the same way.

(WG's said that copters won't happen any time soon, but we can dream, right? Why else would they be dumping Helipads on fictional ships?)

Members
2,947 posts
36,731 battles
1 hour ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Hopefully we'll get a helicopter eventually which functions the same way.

(WG's said that copters won't happen any time soon, but we can dream, right? Why else would they be dumping Helipads on fictional ships?)

I think most cruiser, DD and BB captains just want some CIWS and maybe a surface to air missile for the tier 10s. Kremlin would be happy with goalkeepers. But missiles, Da.

So long as Texas gets hers. I am okay with that. LOL 😆

• Confused 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
5 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I don't get it. Why do you lose this consumable that most of the line has available, upon reaching tier 10? Like the rest of the line, this ship's gun range is pretty short. I liked the Drake a lot, but this ship (for a tier 10) seems pretty lame. Why not just play Zao instead?

A bit like:

No smoke on the Cheshire? :Smile_amazed: Should have been equipped like its sister ship release the London has, especially when against 2+ MM with its armor.

The one ship that should be able to disappear in a puff of smoke - like the cat! :Smile_Default:

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
4 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

A bit like:

No smoke on the Cheshire? :Smile_amazed: Should have been equipped like its sister ship release the London has, especially when against 2+ MM with its armor.

The one ship that should be able to disappear in a puff of smoke - like the cat! :Smile_Default:

Cheshire does disappear in a puff of smoke when the Battleship AP shells land on her.

If anyone that doesn't have Cheshire want to know what it's like being in one, play Neptune without Smoke and no Radar.  She has Neptune's hull, down to the Citadel and everything.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Cheshire does disappear in a puff of smoke when the Battleship AP shells land on her.

:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
30 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

I was actually interested in her when she came out.  234mm guns in Tier VIII, you don't care about the IFHE / Armor changes with those specific RN CA guns.

But tech tree Albemarle alarmed me in the same tier and I feared Cheshire would be identical in that regard.  A bunch of stuff are based around that highly exposed, tall hull side Neptune hull.

I love Neptune in Tier IX, but even I can acknowledge that the thing would be a death trap if it didn't have Smoke Generator.  That consumable is the only thing that makes her playable.  I was good with her, but I've also been deleted harshly with her.

So seeing a Neptune-based hull with no Smoke access... Nah man, I'll pass.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles
8 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Take the range mod so you get 19km range all game. The Goliath has become one of my favorite ships in the game. The fire chance is very good and hits hard. Looking at it on paper it doesn't seem so good. But it is one of the top cruisers in it's tier for wins and damage. Many will argue that that is due to better players getting to them first..... But the numbers are so much higher there is more to it than just good players.

It's a very strong ship for the back and forthsy game many players use at range to avoid being hit, I rarely get hit hard when angled doing this. And it has a very good heal for when I take a bigger hits. 

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Does it matter? It's a brawling cruiser that can't brawl due to a number of armor weaknesses that make it much less resilient than it should be for it's role. Soon, the much more well protected and hard hitting Russian heavy cruisers will be out and everyone will just stop playing the British CAs entirely. Just as Wargaming intended.

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles
6 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Does it matter? It's a brawling cruiser 

A brawling Cruiser? (there is no such thing)

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles
6 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

A brawling Cruiser? (there is no such thing)

The German heavy cruisers are great brawlers. The British heavies are also supposed to be good due to high armor, health, and strong heals ... but unlike the upcoming Russians, they have weird armor weaknesses here and there that can be exploited. American heavies also make good brawlers as long as you can maintain a decent angle.

Members
1,357 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

The German heavy cruisers are great brawlers. The British heavies are also supposed to be good due to high armor, health, and strong heals ... but unlike the upcoming Russians, they have weird armor weaknesses here and there that can be exploited. American heavies also make good brawlers as long as you can maintain a decent angle.

there is no such thing as a "brawling" ship except for the rare situations of 1v1.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles
1 minute ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

there is no such thing as a "brawling" ship except for the rare situations of 1v1.

Not true. At all. A brawling ship is one who's comfortable tanking up close and personal and there are a few ship lines that are quite good at it. It doesn't mean yolo stupidly without support. Brawling ships are needed to push caps, otherwise you have a situation where you have a DD trying to cap while all his allies are 15km behind him trying to farm damage from afar, often resulting in a soon to be dead DD.

Members
1,357 posts
1,286 battles
45 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Not true. At all. A brawling ship is one who's comfortable tanking up close and personal and there are a few ship lines that are quite good at it. It doesn't mean yolo stupidly without support. Brawling ships are needed to push caps, otherwise you have a situation where you have a DD trying to cap while all his allies are 15km behind him trying to farm damage from afar, often resulting in a soon to be dead DD.

then you're focused to death, if not by BBs from another section of the map who have an angle on you, then by HE spam and fires. Caps are usually won by strategic positioning and winning the battle against the enemies in the area, not by a heroic captain who moves in and  "brawls."

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
100 posts
14,200 battles

Games are won through strategy. Brawling ship's are great for taking advantage of bad positioning by red team. I run brawler's all the time because they are a blast. Graf spee/exeter just to name a couple. German BB's are the shyyt for pressing and engaging at knife range. Just because some peeps don't know how to use them effectively, doesn't mean that they suck. Higher tier CA's suffer because of the massive damage that can be inflicted upon them in a single salvo. But used correctly with patience and skill can be a major nail in the red team's coffin.

Sign in to follow this