You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Iowas accuracy is comical..

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

I know WoWs is just a arcade shooter with mainly WW2 boats but the mighty Iowa, probably the most advanced battleship of the war has the most horrendous accuracy. It just makes me cringe half the time I fire a salvo at a sideon on enemy BB and just watch as all the shells splash harmlessly around the target. I only recently bought it and I purchased the expensive accuracy improving module. Yet 50-60% of the time its shells just fly off in a comical pattern. Feels like trying to snipe a beer bottle at 100m with a sawed off shotgun while standing on a rocking chair under the influence of drugs. 

It just seems all the other tier 9 and 10 BBs have far superior accuracy. Snipe at a stationary Freddy duh Grobe at 17k earlier and nothing hits except the old torpedo protection, he fires back and pretty much every shell has laser guided accuracy. Repeat this for a minute or so and I've lost 40k health yet hes only lost 7k.. 

I Really just try and shoot at stuff under 17k just to stop my frustration at the RNG bot.. Yet even then it seems to have a 10% hit rate. My previous stats from the last game show an abysmall hit ratio yet 80% of myshells were all on target, they just don't hit the target.

Just seems crappy with this games massive emphasis on dumb luck. Tactically position myself to ambush a distracted target between islands and watch as all my shells miss or do minimal damage. Reload and 1 shell hits for 5k damage, in my books thats a great salvo..

shot-20.03.27_08.54.04-0622.jpg

• Boring 5

[WOLF5]
Members
908 posts
37,678 battles

did you take the accuracy module or reload. If you take the accuracy, it makes US BBs really good.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,005 posts
5,814 battles

Your stats say that you have a 26% hit ratio with Iowa, which is in line with the hit ratio in most of your other BBs, and so far one of your better BB hit ratios. You probably got some bad salvos and developed the perception that Iowa has bad accuracy, when it actually performed about the same as your other BBs under your control. All BBs no matter how accurate on paper will occasionally go "derp", and it's normal that most BB shells will miss. Imho 17km is pretty far away, so 50-60% of your shells not hitting seems reasonable, as hitting starts becoming a bit hit and miss at that point. Try sailing a bit closer to between 10 -15km.

As for losing to a FdG don't show broadside to an enemy battleship. An Iowa should not be losing 40k health to a FdG in a minute, if properly angled and not showing full broadside like a potato.

• Cool 1

[SS238]
Members
392 posts
35,824 battles

Each line has it's strengths and weaknesses. German BB's have great armor, great secondaries and so-so guns. US BB's have good range, good accuracy at range, good bow on tanking armor, lousy side armor and so-so secondaries..... and so on.

Each line plays differently. You have to learn the ship and play it's strengths and minimize it's weak points.

BUT if the RNG gods are unhappy with you because you sacrificed a chicken when they wanted a goat, then well, shut the game down for the day and read a good book. Because if the RNG gods are not smiling, you can drive up to the target, stick the guns in the porthole and get 6 overpens, 2 ricochets, and a shatter for your efforts

• Cool 1

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

Just a pic of the RNG accuracy with this boat, I spent ages blazing away at this stationary Jean Bart as there was not much else to shoot at (slow game) After 4m not a single hit, nothing. 17k range,  well within its 24k radius. Yet he finally returns fire and knocks 8k off me.. I do find playing BB's just a lottery, DD's are much more skill based (and fun as long as half the server are not in radar cruisers..). 

shot-20.03.27_14.10.53-0211.jpg

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,532 posts
5 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Just a pic of the RNG accuracy with this boat

Have you checked your stats like people have asked you to? Your accuracy in the Iowa is pretty much the same as it is for the other USN battleships you play. It's also exactly the same as mine at 27%. Flambass, an expert at the game, has an Iowa hit ratio of a bit over 28%. Therefore, you are hitting about as much as can be expected with the ship. Of course, hitting and where you hit are two different things. Being able to hit citadels sometimes makes all the difference.

[UNC]
Members
911 posts
6,322 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Just a pic of the RNG accuracy with this boat, I spent ages blazing away at this stationary Jean Bart as there was not much else to shoot at (slow game) After 4m not a single hit, nothing. 17k range,  well within its 24k radius. Yet he finally returns fire and knocks 8k off me.. I do find playing BB's just a lottery, DD's are much more skill based (and fun as long as half the server are not in radar cruisers..). 

shot-20.03.27_14.10.53-0211.jpg

Not sure if that was a later salvo against the JB, but the green dot above it would indicate it is not stationary but rather moving forward.  Perhaps not at high speed, but if you are aiming as though it is stationary it is moving enough to cause you to miss.  Also, shooting bow-in targets will generally reward fewer hits and fewer hits for decent damage.  You will have much better results if you aim at broadside targets.  I didn't have a ton of games in Iowa but carried a 32% hit rate in her; only 29% in Missouri and for both ships even with the accuracy upgrade they frequently felt frustratingly derpy.  Stick with it though, it is a good ship.  Staying alive longer will also help your damage numbers - your first pic shows you took 10x more damage than you caused, which suggests you may be overly aggressive early. 

[--V--]
Members
1,476 posts
13,958 battles

Iowa is a great ship.  Sometimes things just don't work out though.  For example, I had a couple of matches in mine yesterday.

1st Match:  Could not hit the broadside of a barn at 11km.   Nothing but straddles or complete misses.  At the end of the match I only had like 12k damage.  It was embarrassing. 

2nd Match: 192k damage - 4 kills.   Laser like accuracy.  Fun match.

3rd Match: Not quite as good as the 2nd, but really good.

You see, there are a lot of factors which go into whether your shells HIT the target. 

1. YOUR AIMING - Yes,,, you.  The driver.  If you can't aim for @%# then you ain't gonna hit @#$%.
  2. Lag - sometimes there is network lag which makes an enemy ship appear slightly off of where they are, or may delay your guns firing when you want them too.  This impacts hit rate.
  3. Graphics - your PCs graphics card can play a role if its overwhelmed, like lag, your target may be slightly off of where you aim.
  4. Good ole RNG.  Sometimes,,,, the mechanics of the game just aren't there for you. 

Everyone has had matches like my first one yesterday.  It happens.  But the overall performance of a ship can't be derived by the experience of 1 match or 1 player.  There are thousands of players out there who do just fine in the Iowa.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,396 posts
10,021 battles
11 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Good ole RNG.  Sometimes,,,, the mechanics of the game just aren't there for you. 

Yup, had a Musashi game last night, where I literally spent almost 10 minutes chasing down a Thunderer.

Getting hits with every salvo, but it took me that long to nickel and dime him down with overpens and pens. (did get 1 cit though)

Was a good thing he couldn't shoot for crap, or he'd probably have burned me down in half that time lol.

[KAG]
Members
1,353 posts
12,351 battles

Just took a few games out with Iowa, what a complete pile of trash that ship is compared to the rest of the meta ships.  Waste of resources.

[-POI-]
Members
89 posts
9,743 battles

Yeah, tell me about bad accuracy with my useless Yamato and her 29%, and  I don't wanna even go to the [edited] of shooting broadside ships at 5km and not getting a single citadel, even in my FDG I have better accuracy. I'm seriously thinking of leaving that ship abandoned or even selling it.

• Boring 1

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,678 battles

Iowa is great, take accuracy module over reload (always).  Next, if you're shooting a target at over 20km, just because it has range, doesn't mean it will hit consistently at that range.