Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DominicusD

Epicenter (not my favorite)

16 comments in this topic

[TBCIC]
Members
69 posts
3,416 battles

In a recent Random we two DDs rush the center and hold while the rest of the CA BB team just lingered about the outer 3 ring ... we fought valiantly to hold but the rest just seem to want to camp out if not tuck tail well outside the rings ... it was hideous.  I wanted to bolt but continued to stay HOPING that the rest would sprout a pair ... didn't happen and we both got sunk in subsequent x-fire of APs & torps, and a DEFEAT well deserved. Really don't like this map.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,123 posts
29,108 battles

There's nothing wrong with Epicenter battle mode.   There are certain maps where Epicenter is better than Domination.

[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,371 battles

EpiTrident is my favorite.

EpiTears (Tears of the Desert/Tears of the Cruisers,) is called that for a reason, but I don’t dislike it as much as I used to.

Somewhat as @Crucis said; it’s less the mode, and more that players don’t want to learn to deal with it.

I like it, because for the most part I’ve learned to deal with it.

As @DominicusD said though; if the heavies don’t pitch in, a destroyer, or even a cruiser trying to hold the center, might as well just run away and leave the chickens to their loss.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[LSNB]
Members
1,687 posts
5,466 battles

If only Epicenter was a normal occurrence. I'll expect more people to play regularly Epicenter over time as more players get matched into these maps.

[SALVO]
Members
26,123 posts
29,108 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

EpiTears (Tears of the Desert/Tears of the Cruisers,) is called that for a reason, but I don’t dislike it as much as I used to.

Somewhat as @Crucis said; it’s less the mode, and more that players don’t want to learn to deal with it.

As @DominicusD said though; if the heavies don’t pitch in, a destroyer, or even a cruiser trying to hold the center, might as well just run away and leave the chickens to their loss.

Yeah, Prophet, that's what I was thinking.  And on top of that, the more people play a map and/or a battle mode, the more you get used to it and figure out how to play it better. 

This is one of the reasons why I don't like that WG seems to want to reserve Arms Race for Ranked.  If it was used in regular randoms, I think that people would get used to it and play it better when it's used in Ranked.  I mentioned this Arms Race point at the start of this past season of Ranked and someone ragged on me, saying how hard can it be.  Well, in my opinion, it can be very difficult to play a mode that you rarely see.  You don't have a good grasp of the subtleties of the battle mode.  You don't have a good grasp of the timing of when one should go after the power ups or when you should start moving towards the center of the map for the cap that appears at the 10 min mark, and so on.

Also, people would have a much better idea how to play the Ocean map if it was used more often.  When you're lucky to see it once in a month, chances are that you're in the dark and don't really know what to do to be successful.  Luckily for me, I played it a LOT back before WG (wrongly) cut back on its usage rate, and I know how to play it.

Members
4,348 posts
3,255 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It's not that people can't learn, for me I don't like the game style it forces me to play and I don't like being forced. 

Members
425 posts
6,981 battles
6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

It's not that people can't learn, for me I don't like the game style it forces me to play and I don't like being forced. 

I know some players that feel the same, some even play in a way similar to what was described above.  I don't enjoy the mode, but it does add variety, given that we have few modes to choose from.  So I still try to contribute as best I can, regardless of the mode, even ocean.  Why does ocean never come up when I'm in a BB?  Guess MM doesn't like me.  :Smile_hiding:

[TBCIC]
Members
69 posts
3,416 battles
29 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In a DD at least for me it is something to contend with.  Better success and with the grace of RNG-gods Epicenter is acceptable in a CA or BB.  However, it isn't often and for the most part a very few times in-between that I sail a DD and get Fault Line which is one of a few acceptable favs.  As far as 'hoping' that team mates could take a read on the objective, that is a risk .. ship happens :)

Thanks for reply. 

[TBCIC]
Members
69 posts
3,416 battles
19 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Wouldn't that be something if for a week (as a trial) WG could offer captains  a  choice of battle maps? 

"Never get out of the boat!"  - Chef

giphy.gif

[SYN]
Members
15,931 posts
12,803 battles

What makes you think your team wouldn't have camped out and lost all 3 or 4 caps in domination mode?

[SALVO]
Members
26,123 posts
29,108 battles
43 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I don't think that the game style is any different between Epicenter and Domination.  Not one whit of difference.   Contend caps.  Take caps.  Defend caps.  And attack and sink enemy ships.

[DURPX]
[DURPX]
Members
17 posts
9,359 battles

I wish they would put epicentre on different maps...

Maybe Epicentre would spice up that horrible Strait map. That'd be nice.

Members
4,348 posts
3,255 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't think that the game style is any different between Epicenter and Domination.  Not one whit of difference.   Contend caps.  Take caps.  Defend caps.  And attack and sink enemy ships.

I think that's an oversimplification. In Epicenter you contest one cap, and everybody has to head there; it's it plays different than the other modes, which a mode should do. I just don't enjoy it

[SALVO]
Members
26,123 posts
29,108 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

I think that's an oversimplification. In Epicenter you contest one cap, and everybody has to head there; it's it plays different than the other modes, which a mode should do. I just don't enjoy it

There are three different caps in Epicenter, because the three rings are independent of each other when it comes to capping, etc.  It plays differently because the three caps (aka rings) are concentric.  But I just don't think that they play as much different as people think.

And frankly, I think that you're more invested in complaining about Epicenter than you are in learning to play it more effectively.

Members
4,348 posts
3,255 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

There are three different caps in Epicenter, because the three rings are independent of each other when it comes to capping, etc.  It plays differently because the three caps (aka rings) are concentric.  But I just don't think that they play as much different as people think.

And frankly, I think that you're more invested in complaining about Epicenter than you are in learning to play it more effectively.

Please. I do fine on Epicenter, I find it unpleasant. That's not a complaint. I'm not in anyway asking for it to be changed to my liking

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,608 battles
15 hours ago, DominicusD said:

In a recent Random we two DDs rush the center and hold while the rest of the CA BB team just lingered about the outer 3 ring ... we fought valiantly to hold but the rest just seem to want to camp out if not tuck tail well outside the rings ... it was hideous.  I wanted to bolt but continued to stay HOPING that the rest would sprout a pair ... didn't happen and we both got sunk in subsequent x-fire of APs & torps, and a DEFEAT well deserved. Really don't like this map.

Oink Goltz! 

Epicenter is interesting but lots of players forget the goal is to cap the center ring and end up out of the rings trying to kill the enemy fleet. But this happens also in Domination.

Oink Goltz ! 

Sign in to follow this