Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Maass disappointment

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

Man, I hate the Leberecht Maass. It just doesn't do anything well, IMO. Real close to FXPing past this thing.

Would it be worthwhile to just move on, or am I missing something?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
553
[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,210 battles

Not really. Its detection is too high, guns and torps are meh, and it's fairly clunky 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
1 minute ago, eagle_lance said:

Not really. Its detection is too high, guns and torps are meh, and it's fairly clunky 

It get positively PUNISHED by higher tier cruisers and BBs, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

I don't FXP past many ships, but I now have the Z-23 and am happy to have parted with the 120k FXP for it....

EDIT: Disappointed that the KM DD line has 2 massive turds to get past. T-22 (worst ship in the game?) and Maass.

Edited by legozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,728
[FML]
Members
3,930 posts
15,457 battles
18 minutes ago, legozer said:

Man, I hate the Leberecht Maass. It just doesn't do anything well, IMO. Real close to FXPing past this thing.

Would it be worthwhile to just move on, or am I missing something?

Yeah, it’s in a tough place, one of the hardest ships in the German DD line iirc. 

I cant remember if it’s the one with 150mm guns, but if so those guns are also a trap - you shouldn’t be close enough and broadside enough to engage in a gun duel with cruisers for the pen to matter, and the longer reload gimps your effectiveness (already low) against other DDs. 

Key to German DDs is to bait the enemy DD into using its smoke on a cap, then walk up to them and hydro them through their own smoke. Use your guns if you won’t get spotted, else use your torps to finish them off. 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Yeah, it’s in a tough place, one of the hardest ships in the German DD line iirc. 

I cant remember if it’s the one with 150mm guns, but if so those guns are also a trap - you shouldn’t be close enough and broadside enough to engage in a gun duel with cruisers for the pen to matter, and the longer reload gimps your effectiveness (already low) against other DDs. 

Key to German DDs is to bait the enemy DD into using its smoke on a cap, then walk up to them and hydro them through their own smoke. Use your guns if you won’t get spotted, else use your torps to finish them off. 

Good luck!

The T6 Gaede and T8 Z-23 have the 150mm trap. It's fun on Gaede, tbh.

Maass suffers b/c the hydro is only 4km ship detection, so its hydro is outperformed by 1km by a TONNNNE of other DDs in its MM spread. Basically, the Maass hydro is useless for cap contesting.

EDIT: WOW, what a terrible, powercrept turd.

Edited by legozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
913
[NDA]
Supertester
3,574 posts
7,677 battles

I came in here thinking you were talking crap about the best American woman at T8, Massachusetts, carry on then. :Smile_hiding:

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[-ARP-]
Members
779 posts
37,020 battles

I thought you were saying it as a pun, but I now understand what you ment..... added to what others say Maas has bad anti aircraft as well .... the Z(österer) 52 idk about how her aa is rated, but at t7, the maass aa is the reason why she one of the easier targets for cvs to bully, def at t8 and if unlucky in a fail division, t10 will eat her alive

Edited by Submarine_M1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,029
[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

The German DDs are some of my best and favorite ships. That being said, I only play PvE, so that's probably why. In PvP, they're so power crept and mostly useless compared to British, US, IJN (gunboats), French and even RU DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
17 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

The German DDs are some of my best and favorite ships. That being said, I only play PvE, so that's probably why. In PvP, they're so power crept and mostly useless compared to British, US, IJN (gunboats), French and even RU DDs.

I play a LOT of DD games in USN, IJN and Russian ships, and I can say with some authority that the KM DD line is, overall, formidable to play against. The Maass though...man what a bad ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,603 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Man, I hate the Leberecht Maass. It just doesn't do anything well, IMO. Real close to FXPing past this thing.

Would it be worthwhile to just move on, or am I missing something?

The issue isn't The Maass. It's the tier. There is no reason to play tier 7 any more. Bottom tier against hydro and radar all the time and 1 or 2 cv's per game.

I enjoyed the ship before the game has power creeped itself, now there is no reason to play anything below tier 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
5 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

The issue isn't The Maass. It's the tier. There is no reason to play tier 7 any more. Bottom tier against hydro and radar all the time and 1 or 2 cv's per game.

I enjoyed the ship before the game has power creeped itself, now there is no reason to play anything below tier 8.

Yeah, I agree to some extent. That said, I find Haida, Mahan, Leningrad and Sims to be perfectly enjoyable (Haida got nerfed in the IFHE debacle tho). Sims in particular is just great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

OH

 

MY

 

GOD...

 

...Z-39 is soooooo much better. This is a problem, WG. Maass is severely under powered. Maass to Z-39 is one of the biggest steps up in terms of improvement from one tier to the next that I can think of in this game. Colorado to NC may be the biggest, but it has competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

So far, Z-39 is impressing me. The Z-46 looks like it might be one of the most game affecting DDs in any tech line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,474
[A-I-M]
Members
3,015 posts
13,269 battles
3 hours ago, Sinboto said:

I came in here thinking you were talking crap about the best American woman at T8, Massachusetts, carry on then. :Smile_hiding:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
508
Members
1,410 posts
10,532 battles
3 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

The issue isn't The Maass. It's the tier. There is no reason to play tier 7 any more. Bottom tier against hydro and radar all the time and 1 or 2 cv's per game.

I enjoyed the ship before the game has power creeped itself, now there is no reason to play anything below tier 8.

The problem absolutely is the ship. The AP never worked and the concealment, which was already almost worst in tier, is now a complete joke due to all the power creep over the years. Unfortunately its a German ship so it will take WG another 2 years before they admit it needs a buff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

Don't go all soft on this ship now

Yes, it might be a bit of a turd in some areas, but look at it's toolkit: It has the highest AP DPM of all the Tier 7 DDs, it has the third-largest HP pool, the hydro is amazing, the torpedo reload of 90 seconds allows you to keep dumping out what are arguably some of the best mid-tier torpedoes in the game, with 8.5km of range, 65 knots of speed, decent alpha strike and incredible stealth, and let's not forget that it also boasts some fairly solid AA defenses as well, not to mention that it is quite sprightly as well

Maass won a comparo test against 4 other DDs, including Mahan, Jervis, Minsk, and Vauquelin, simply because of it's toolkit and it's all around amazingness and not total overreliance on gimmicks to work properly ( *COUGH COUGH FRENCH SHIPS COUGH COUGH *)

:SerB:

P.S: Sorry, Not Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,728
[FML]
Members
3,930 posts
15,457 battles
1 hour ago, Jagdpanzer131 said:

the non premium German dds aren't really in a good place right now in general.

Agreed. When they were introduced, most tiers was a bit on the weak side - the short duration smoke in particular and the thick hull eating full AP pens caused people to have to re-learn how to do DDs. 

Whilst some indirect buffs have been made, like AP pens, the meta has moved on and they are increasingly power crept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
300
[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
505 posts
15,152 battles
7 hours ago, legozer said:

Man, I hate the Leberecht Maass. It just doesn't do anything well, IMO. Real close to FXPing past this thing.

Would it be worthwhile to just move on, or am I missing something?

maass is a good ships watch youtube vids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

has the highest AP DPM of all the Tier 7 DDs

Haha....ok, so??

 

2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

third-largest HP pool

 

With the worst concealment. Wow. 3rd largest, eh?  Again, so what? The bronze in HP ain't worth squat if you're seen all the time. I guess you could pop smoke, but...lol, c'mon! Even American smoke is a complete crap shoot in this meta, nevermind the AWFUL German smoke. At least the cool-down is only half the frikkin game....

 

2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

arguably some of the best mid-tier torpedoes in the game

No. These torps rely on ambush tactics, which relies on speed and agility to pull off. Maass is about as fast and agile as the first stage of my morning dump.

 

2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

fairly solid AA defenses

Stop. Now. You're embarrassing yourself.

23 minutes ago, lordholland4293 said:

maass is a good ships watch youtube vids

I did. Bad news: Maass still ssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckssssssssssssssss

2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

the hydro is amazing

No, it isn't. That's actually it's second weakest feature. The hydro only picks up ships at 4 km. Only Haida and Jervis have weaker hydro in the same MM spread. Run into Loyang or Z-39 in cap and tell me how "amazing" the hydro is. Amazing at getting you killed early.

 

2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

not total overreliance on gimmicks

Like, the "amazing" hydro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

Hah

Not like it needs unusual HP distribution to survive. Also, Z-39 is a downtiered Z-23 with one less gun. Maass murders it in a gunfight. Yeah, it's stealth ain't the best, but discounting Z-39, it's still the best at Tier 7, combined with the small smoke firing penalty makes it brutally powerful when hunting down DDs.

Also, something tells me you don't have CE on your Maass captain, because I find using the torpedoes in normal situations quite comfortable

:SerB:

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,066
[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
44 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hah

Not like it needs unusual HP distribution to survive. Also, Z-39 is a downtiered Z-23 with one less gun. Maass murders it in a gunfight. Yeah, it's stealth ain't the best, but discounting Z-39, it's still the best at Tier 7, combined with the small smoke firing penalty makes it brutally powerful when hunting down DDs.

Also, something tells me you don't have CE on your Maass captain, because I find using the torpedoes in normal situations quite comfortable

:SerB:

I have CE on every captain I have but Khabarovsk. Maass just plain sucks. 

Mahan is the best at T7, hands down. Sims and Haida are a close second/third, depending on the preferred playstyle. Leningrad is third/fourth, just barely edging out Blysk. Minsk can score damage, but barring that, will RACK detonations for ranked signals. Akatsuki is fun, and gets a participation trophy. There is a French DD. And then there is a Maassive turd of a ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,940
[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
11 hours ago, legozer said:

Maass to Z-39 is one of the biggest steps up in terms of improvement from one tier to the next that I can think of in this game. Colorado to NC may be the biggest, but it has competition. 

The biggest improvement tier-to-tier that I have ever seen in this game is Emerald --> Leander. 

This is not to be confused with transitions from ships I despised to ships I adored  (Karlsruhe --> Konigsberg, Kawachi ---> Myogi, Wyoming ---> New York). They are not necessarily the same thing.

Colorado is as slow as an epileptic centenarian snail on valium, but her guns can still hurt things. 

I'll get back to you on the Maass when I've played her some more. 

3 hours ago, legozer said:

Mahan is the best at T7, hands down. Sims and Haida are a close second/third, depending on the preferred playstyle. Leningrad is third/fourth, just barely edging out Blysk. Minsk can score damage, but barring that, will RACK detonations for ranked signals. Akatsuki is fun, and gets a participation trophy. There is a French DD. And then there is a Maassive turd of a ship.

I notice you haven't mentioned Poi-boat or her tech-tree cousin, nor the T7 Swedish Meatball (the latter fair enough; most people don't have her yet). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
167
[-BSK-]
Members
471 posts
19,081 battles

I must be doing something wrong then, because I really enjoy the Maass and do fairly well in it

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×