You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shenennigans

WG Explain Yourselves!

15 comments in this topic

[ARRR]
Members
129 posts
3,965 battles

Included the replay in case you wanted to see this nonsense for yourself.

How does a 100mm HE Akizuki shell score a citadel on an angled Cleveland 10km away?? I watched the "How it Works" series and feel you have lied to me. What's the max pen for the buffed IJN HE penetration with the new IFHE? 32mm-ish yeah? Even if it hit the side plate of the turret, that's 38mm (and impossible since he was shooting at me, all turrets facing me). Outside of that, paths to citadel are: 51mm through turret top plate, 152mm through barbettes, 25+51mm through side plate and citadel deck, and that doesn't account for the angling.

Citadel.png

20200326_154214_PJSD108-Akizuki_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

Members
4,350 posts
11,237 battles

IJN 100mm ifhe now pens 37.5mm just like 152s (as it has always matched). Sounds to me like there’s an armor model bug or something getting knocked out of sync with the server.

Or your gunners loaded AP and just told you it was still HE...:cap_book:

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,103 posts
4,084 battles
4 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Or your gunners loaded AP and just told you it was still HE...:cap_book:

I mean if they're the same guys that run the secondaries on most ships just about anything is possible:Smile_trollface:

OP, there are quite a few armor model bugs floating around, and every once in a while something bizarre like this happens. Just chalk it up to the statistics of every single possibility eventually happening when you look at the number of rounds fired every day in WOWS.

[MIA-I]
Members
118 posts
11 battles
1 hour ago, Shenennigans said:

How does a 100mm HE Akizuki shell score a citadel on an angled Cleveland 10km away?? I watched the "How it Works" series and feel you have lied to me. What's the max pen for the buffed IJN HE penetration with the new IFHE? 32mm-ish yeah? Even if it hit the side plate of the turret, that's 38mm (and impossible since he was shooting at me, all turrets facing me). Outside of that, paths to citadel are: 51mm through turret top plate, 152mm through barbettes, 25+51mm through side plate and citadel deck, and that doesn't account for the angling.

Citadel.png

This is not a first. I have seen these kinds of things happen many times(including myself). They are bugs in the armor model. 

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

It's probably an armor bug that only manifests itself when Cleveland is in a hard turn and listing.

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,178 battles
28 minutes ago, Hammer_Senpai said:

This is not a first. I have seen these kinds of things happen many times(including myself). They are bugs in the armor model. 

Could it be model seams?  An unintended gap between 2 plates that allows the shell (which is probably represented by a single point, not something 100mm in diameter) to pass thru? Same as when I have seen 2 allied ships get locked together because one ship is lodged between 2 such modules and can only be extracted a specific angle.

Actually may (unintentionally) reflect reality. A turret may have openings for gunsights, etc. or even the area around the barrels that allows them to elevate. Unlike tanks, these rarely have any piece of movable armor that keeps the gaps (somewhat) covered.

Edited by Sabot_100

[MIA-I]
Members
118 posts
11 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

Could it be model seams?  An unintended gap between 2 plates that allows the shell (which is probably represented by a single point, not something 100mm in diameter) to pass thru? Same as when I have seen 2 allied ships get locked together because one ship is lodged between 2 such modules and can only be extracted a specific angle.

Could be. 

Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
26 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Actually may (unintentionally) reflect reality. A turret may have openings for gunsights, etc. or even the area around the barrels that allows them to elevate. Unlike tanks, these rarely have any piece of movable armor that keeps the gaps (somewhat) covered.

• Funny 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

A known thing that the game engine can do weird things, especially when ships perform maneuvers but even if they don‘t do so. I managed to score a SAP citadel on a bot DM in a training room with Venezia, shouldn‘t be possible, but it definitely happened.

[PVE]
Members
4,254 posts
18,556 battles
2 hours ago, Shenennigans said:

Citadel.png

Please do not assume that the modeling and the hit boxes have been tested against the IFHE changes.........  Dollars to donuts our host never ran the tests across the fleet to validate what we "should expect" to see........   That would take a whole lot of quality control that I suspect isn't being done.

Report it to Support and pray...............   I've seen some simply bizarre 100 IJN gun stuff since the IFHE changes and some of it is of real benefit to the Aki, Kity or Harry......  Some, I just don't get either......

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

Rare things can happen.  If you get a shell deflection somewhere that it normally wouldn't go, gaps in the internal structure of the model might allow a penetration.  A couple of months ago, I got an HE citadel on a Moskva with my Smolensk.  

Its funny when it happens.  Its good conversation, when done by a ship with small guns.

[CVA16]
Members
5,384 posts
16,178 battles
15 minutes ago, Murcc said:

A couple of months ago, I got an HE citadel on a Moskva with my Smolensk.

Well see, one of the Moskva engine crew had to go out for more vodka in the midst of your HE hail storm (have to have priorities). As he was returning thru the hatch one of your shells went thru, causing him to drop the case of vodka which caught fire in the resulting HE explosion, causing massive damage in the engine room and completely demoralizing the remaining engine room crew that knew they weren't getting any more vodka (the secondary gunners already drank it all).