24 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts

OK, raise your hand if you actually have driven a

Tank  :cap_like:

Plane :cap_like:

Warship :cap_hmm: Hmm. I'm going to say "yes" to this. It floated and had guns so I'm gonna call it a warship.

image.thumb.png.5db1d637ea0e08feb323484f2d00dda3.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
46 posts
199 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Warship :cap_hmm: Hmm. I'm going to say "yes" to this. It floated and had guns so I'm gonna call it a warship.

Warship. CG 61 USS Monterey. Yes I had that bad boy at my fingertips. Hands on the helm. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,639 posts
27,355 battles

lol

A Gamma Goat.

I’ve heard/read both that it was awesome, and a complete piece of junk.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Tank - M1A1 Abrams familirazation - National Guard was trying real hard to recruit me in high school.

Plane - B-17G Flying Fortress right seat for about 15 min, C-17 about the same.

Warship - SWO...so yea, 11 years worth: Spruance DD, Arleigh Burke DDG, Avenger MCM, Osprey MHC.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts
27 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

lol

A Gamma Goat.

I’ve heard/read both that it was awesome, and a complete piece of junk.

The "goats" could go just about anywhere but you didn't want to ride in the back of one if you could help it because they would bounce you all over the place. Ironically our ambulance was a "goat." We almost never used it as such though because it was as likely to harm the patients more by bouncing them around than to help them by getting them to a hospital. There were helicopters all over the place so we just called in a Huey everytime we needed to send someone in. They were noisy as all get-out too and you had to wear hearing protection when driving or riding in them. No heat, of course. However, the ambulance had a mogas heater in the back that you could fire up -- you had to choose if the patient was going to suffer from the cold or suffer from the fumes before you used it though. They could float -- just barely.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,250 posts
16,098 battles

Can only wish...thank you all for your service!

[DVYJC]
Members
3,869 posts
9,729 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The "goats" could go just about anywhere but you didn't want to ride in the back of one if you could help it because they would bounce you all over the place. Ironically our ambulance was a "goat." We almost never used it as such though because it was as likely to harm the patients more by bouncing them around than to help them by getting them to a hospital. There were helicopters all over the place so we just called in a Huey everytime we needed to send someone in. They were noisy as all get-out too and you had to wear hearing protection when driving or riding in them. No heat, of course. However, the ambulance had a mogas heater in the back that you could fire up -- you had to choose if the patient was going to suffer from the cold or suffer from the fumes before you used it though. They could float -- just barely.

Better or worse than the back of an M35 deuce-and-a-half with a driver on lesson 1 of "How to drive stick"?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts
2 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Better or worse than the back of an M35 deuce-and-a-half with a driver on lesson 1 of "How to drive stick"?

I've spent a lot of time riding in deuce and a halfs and 5-tons too. The trucks were rough riding but nothing compared to riding in the "trailer" section of a gamma goat. When that articulated rear section went over a large bump it could throw you clean out of the vehicle. Fortunately, most of the time we had the canvas tops on so the passengers just got bounced around rather than actually being ejected. 

• Funny 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,869 posts
9,729 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've spent a lot of time riding in deuce and a halfs and 5-tons too. The trucks were rough riding but nothing compared to riding in the "trailer" section of a gamma goat. When that articulated rear section went over a large bump it could throw you clean out of the vehicle. Fortunately, most of the time we had the canvas tops on so the passengers just got bounced around rather than actually being ejected. 

I swear my whole spine is compressed by an inch or two now!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts
51 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I swear my whole spine is compressed by an inch or two now!

As a line medic, for a year or so I just caught a ride with any truck or track that had a free space. However, then the XO asked me if I wanted to drive his gamma goat and in exchange I could take it if I needed it for an ambulance. This worked out great for both of us. The XO was the one I had to find anyway to call in Dust-Offs and a gamma goat's railings were just the right size to hold an army stretcher crossways. Therefore, I "pilfered" a couple of extra stretchers and had the XO just keep them at the battery. From then on we had our own personal camper. No more snakes and ants crawling into your sleeping bag at night and no need to set up a tent either.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've been aboard amphibious landing ships as a U.S. Marine serving in a Motor Transport Battalion.

I've driven a few vehicles in amphibious training exercises, including landing craft to shore embarkation.

I was able to spend a few minutes at the wheel of a "Duck boat" as part of a Duck Boat tour of the harbor in Boston, MA. 
Very enjoyable. 
I recommend taking a tour in an original vintage Duck Boat.  :-) 

I've had my hands on the controls of a small single-engine plane (Cessna?  Piper Cub?) for a few minutes while being a tourist in Pennsylvania. 
Got to see some wonderful autumn foliage from the air. 
The pilot/tour-guide/instructor was a great guy. 
The memory of the good experience still makes me smile.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts
23 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

U.S. Marine 

I wondered how you got those "wet paws." :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Snargfargle

[NEMO]
Members
832 posts
3,360 battles

I drove a Jeep three months ago, we have an old rusty green military looking Jeep that we use to go across the field to look at the fences, dad let me drive it

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,443 posts
1 hour ago, wolfkind252 said:

I drove a Jeep three months ago, we have an old rusty green military looking Jeep that we use to go across the field to look at the fences, dad let me drive it

I simply adored army jeeps when I was a kid but never got a chance to drive one. I think one of the reasons I joined the Army was so that I could drive jeeps. I was not disappointed. 

[GPORT]
Members
221 posts
13,069 battles

LCVP-4 Coxswain , USS Bristol County  LST-1198...…..like riding a stick of balsa wood in the pacific .

• Cool 1

[NEMO]
Members
832 posts
3,360 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I simply adored army jeeps when I was a kid but never got a chance to drive one. I think one of the reasons I joined the Army was so that I could drive jeeps. I was not disappointed. 

My Great grandfather brought ours home, its an American jeep from WWII that he won in a poker game? All I know is to this day it smokes a little but it still runs, dad said he's gonna pull the engine this summer and rebuild it

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
20 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I wondered how you got those "wet paws." :Smile_veryhappy:

The name is spin-off from a my yahoo e-mail.  :Smile_honoring:

I envisioned a Wolf running on the water (similar to how the ship-girls move in the Kantai Collection anime series), and, as matter of course, my paws would get wet in the process.

If I'm sunk, then my paws get "really wet".  :Smile_teethhappy:

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
6 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

Excellent.  :-)
The M-151 is a fun little vehicle.  Got to drive a few during cold-weather training exercises at Fort McCoy Wisconsin.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
5 hours ago, Gafwmn said:

LCVP-4 Coxswain , USS Bristol County  LST-1198...…..like riding a stick of balsa wood in the pacific .

:cap_like:

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

:cap_like:

[NEMO]
Members
832 posts
3,360 battles
18 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Excellent.  :-)
The M-151 is a fun little vehicle.  Got to drive a few during cold-weather training exercises at Fort McCoy Wisconsin.  :-)

its ok i guess

Sign in to follow this