You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

I seriously think MM is rigged to keep you right around 50% win rate

135 comments in this topic

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles

You have matches (sometimes 3-4 in a row) where you get pretty good teammates,  people somewhat work together and you come out on top. Following those wins, MM puts you on teams where you can't even sail half the distance of map and half your team is already dead. Games end in lopsided victories for reds, then you have about 2-5 game slid of this happening, with maybe 1-2 wins to break it up. Then the following day you have you 3-5 wins in a row, rinse and repeat. I don't put on the tin foil hat much, but i see a trend all the time. You get on a winning streak, then the game puts you on a losing streak. 

3u5tqu.jpg

• Cool 10
  • Funny 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 10

[1984]
Members
4,120 posts
19,840 battles
5 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

You have matches (sometimes 3-4 in a row) where you get pretty good teammates,  people somewhat work together and you come out on top. Following those wins, MM puts you on teams where you can't even sail half the distance of map and half your team is already dead. Games end in lopsided victories for reds, then you have about 2-5 game slid of this happening, with maybe 1-2 wins to break it up. Then the following day you have you 3-5 wins in a row, rinse and repeat. I don't put on the tin foil hat much, but i see a trend all the time. You get on a winning streak, then the game puts you on a losing streak. 

3u5tqu.jpg

nothing to think about, it's a fact. just try going on a win streak with a div, then play solo, the reds will even out the greens.

Edited by monpetitloup

Beta Testers
1,662 posts
10,778 battles

Confirmation bias.

I mean, I have a 54% WR,  playing solo.  so MM isn't squashing me.

Also -we were in a match yesterday, that was terrible, lol.  You were in Goliath, I was a Khab.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles

Yes it is, it's called statistics. If everyone is equal skill, then your WR will be 50%. Amazing how that works.

The good news is you can beat it. What's the secret? Be better than average, so you'll win more.

So yes, MM is inherently rigged to keep you at 50%, the only way to beat the system is to git gud.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

trick is play once and win then never again, woot 100% WR :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,054 posts
15,856 battles
25 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Explain my 52+% win rate, then.

I have a 55% WR and I have been saying this for two years. Yes, it's rigged. It's an algorithm designed to keep players from pushing beyond 50%. We know it's there because it was in WG patent. 

To answer your 52% win question... My WR was beyond 50% before the algorithm went into effect. Based on my 13k battles the needle won't be moving quickly but it has been moving. One way around the system is to play in divisions which you probably do.  

What I can tell you is that what the P is describing was something that started suddenly for me and hasn't stop since. If I play solo and have any win streaks it is always followed by 1-2 days of nothing but potato teams and losing streaks. It's been consistent. 

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 4

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles

What would be the point of secretly rigging the match maker to push players towards a 50 percent win rate?  Complete waste of effort to program something like that because if you do nothing at all and matches are completely random it will achieve the same thing over time. 

You'll be on the stronger team half the time and the weaker team half the time by totally random chance.

Edited by Vaidency

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,551 posts
11,708 battles
48 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

So I guess I just got super lucky 1500 games in a row to have 70% win rate

But that is 1 match per day for the last 5 years. 

Members
9,159 posts
11,172 battles

My recent 11 round win streak would like a word with you. The 11 round loss streak I didn't have after that, it would like to have word with you, as well, but it doesn't exist.

[SALVO]
Members
4,322 posts
3,760 battles

OP: Me too.

In a truly random system, the gap between good players and bad players should be higher than 60-40% (yes there are above 60% players, that is a testament of how good they are,  I don't know  about any under 40% player, but even being AFK will net you that much). 

• Cool 1

Members
3,054 posts
15,856 battles
1 minute ago, Vaidency said:

What would be the point of secretly rigging the match maker to push players towards a 50 percent win rate?  Complete waste of effort to program something like that because if you do nothing at all and matches are completely random it will achieve the same thing over time.

Then explain why the algorithm to do so was included in WG patent? There were several posts about it a few years back. We know it's true.

Members
3,054 posts
15,856 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

OP: Me too.

In a truly random system, the gap between good players and bad players should be higher than 60-40% (yes there are above 60% players, that is a testament of how good they are,  I don't know  about any under 40% player, but even being AFK will net you that much). 

Who do you think is better?  A solo player with 55% WR or someone who plays mostly divisions with a 60% WR? 

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles

Then explain why the algorithm to do so was included in WG patent? There were several posts about it a few years back. We know it's true.

Why do I need to explain a patent that does something totally useless?  There are millions of those.  I can patent special shoes that always pull your feet towards the ground with the power of gravity but they'd still be useless.

Even if this secret match maker rigging exists, it was a waste of someone's time to program it.  A random match maker would have exactly the same effect.

Edited by Vaidency

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles

The random nature of MM does drive win rates toward the average. That is a normal effect it is not rigged. Your performance over a long period of time determines how much above or below that average you will be. There is no added function in MM to push you down if you are above average or to lift you up if you are below average. Could they do this if they wished? Yes, do they? No.

Cheers.

You Got This GIF

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles

I know when I get on a win streak it’s always followed by losing streak. I don’t care how good you are. You cannot win with some of the players this game puts on your team.  

Like games where 5 ships on your team are dead within 5minutes.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
855 posts
25,364 battles

I wish that would explain losing 15 out of 20 game in the Venezia over the last two days

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles

I don't doubt there is probably some underlying algorithm to help correct win or loss streaks.  If a player never wins, they would become disinterested.  If a player always wins, it is at the expense of another player.  Randomness does correct it to a certain extent, but what if players actually have more affect on the game than we thought?  In that case, to compress the win/loss percentage more towards a 50% rate, a correction algorithm can be applied to assemble players based on game performance.  Better players will still get a few more wins and poor players will still lose a few more, but it might take a range of 20% to 80% win rates and compress them into a range of 45% to 55% instead.  There will still be outliers that defy the numbers because they are that good, or that bad.

• Cool 1

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

The random nature of MM does drive win rates toward the average. That is a normal effect it is not rigged. Your performance over a long period of time determines how much above or below that average you will be.

Cheers.

You Got This GIF

No there is something in the MM that rigs your W/l. It’s to much of a coincidence every time I get a winning streak  to be followed by being on the worst teams possible in WOWS. Happens every time. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,322 posts
3,760 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Who do you think is better?  A solo player with 55% WR or someone who plays mostly divisions with a 60% WR? 

I'm a solo player with around 55%, also play divisions mostly with a friend (around 51%) and my WR for divs is lower than my solo, still is much funnier to play in divs with friends. Sure, If I did 3 man-div with people who carried me, it would be much easier to have 60%+. In case this doesn´t answer your question, it doesn't matter because the topic at hand is the system pulling you towards 50%  and not how a good or bad a player one is or how to better your odds.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Than why there are so many players with more than 50% and lots with less than 50%? 

Yes, there are times that you get a team that is so bad that there is nothing you can do, its frustrating, specially if it happens many times in a row. But this is more a random MM than a rigged one. 

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles
1 minute ago, Legio_X_ said:

No there is something in the MM that rigs your W/l. It’s to much of a coincidence every time I get a winning streak  to be followed by being on the worst teams possible in WOWS. Happens every time. 

Do you seriously think it's all that strange to fairly frequently end up with a bad team?  There are a lot of bad players in this game and of course you're going to end up teamed with them sometimes, whether you've been on a winning streak or not.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles
1 minute ago, Legio_X_ said:

Any unicum player with the MM monitor could tell you that is not true. Any potato player with MM monitor could also tell you it is not true. You should install it and see for yourself. Several players have posted this sort of data before. MM as far a skill of the players is random over time.

How about solo players like me that hold the same above average win rate for years over thousands of battles? The "rig" should be trying to push me down and yet here I am.

Skill is real.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1