Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

Anyone able to shoot HE through an island?

9 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles

Anyone able to shoot HE through an island?

I think I remember someone else mentioning something similar.  I was curious to see if it was a known bug, or one that just happened once to me.  I was in my Des Moines and was being shot at, so I tucked comfortably behind an island.  I eased forward so my front turrets could shoot over the extended edge of the island and proceeded to shell a Zao that was in open water opposite me.  However, as accurate as my shots were, they were passing through the enemy ship without any damage.  I fired quite a few volleys with similar results.  When I zoomed out a bit more, it looked like my turrets were actually slightly below the edge of the island.  I suspect the actual shots were hitting the island, but the animation still indicated a shot on target. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,137 posts
4,345 battles

Yup, quite common actually. The shell tracer animation is not the same as the actual shell trajectory the game calculates (no, I don't know why). So sometimes shells will appear to clear islands (or even go through them), but the actual shell hit the island, and so the tracer just goes through the ship.

I think it's because the trajectory calculation is done server side but the animation is done client side, because I've had lag spikes where the tracer displayed normally, but the actual shell ribbon didn't pop up until several seconds after the tracer appeared to hit the ship. That would explain the slight desync you sometimes get.

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Happens once in a while. When you don't see any damage numbers time to stop shooting or get out of cover.

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles

It happened to some one yesterday or was it the day before. I took screen shots of it for him. We alerted Hapa_fodder and I think he put a ticket in. This is the replay it happens just before five minute mark and happens for 3 salvos altho9ugh like two shells get over the Island on the last salvo and hit.

20200323_221032_PASC208-Cleveland_18_NE_ice_islands(1).wowsreplay

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,223 posts
28,096 battles

Not sure I’ve seen this, but I finally did see one of those ghost torpedoes that go on to eternity...

(...torp icon came out of an island, and I was all wth?!? until I remembered about the ghost torpedoes.)

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

In Smolensk in Ranked I found this happening a lot. The shells aren't real, but are a result of the game forgetting that an island is in the way. You may or may not see the indicator.

The cause of this is that the game can't display whether each turret will hit an island: far out it doesn't matter, but in a DM or similar island-hugger, the geometry that separates turrets (often front and rear) is wide enough to cause a difference. The game picks a turret and guesses, animating off the guess.

[X-PN]
Members
1,776 posts
12,869 battles

Yes.  There are some maps that I can regularly reproduce the bug, but as someone above said, it renders but doesn't do damage

[UNHLY]
Members
5,069 posts
14,189 battles

It's a very long running visual bug (meaning back to at least closed beta if not alpha) where there's a desync between the client (which renders the shells) and server (which calculates all of the math elements including whether the shell/torpedo/etc actually hits the ship). As far as the player base has been able to figure out, the shell/torp impact process seems to be: check for shell hitbox collision with other hitbox (done by the server) -> if true, play shell destruction animation and ship/terrain/ocean hit animation as applicable -> remove shell visual and tracer from display. When there's a desync between the client and the server and it doesn't get the report that the server says the shell hit an island, it will continue to render the remainder of that process, but because all of the hit and damage calculations are rendered by the server (which knows the shell doesn't exist anymore), when you hit a ship there will be no damage animation, no hit ribbon, and no damage even though on your end the shell still visually hits the ship.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure I’ve seen this, but I finally did see one of those ghost torpedoes that go on to eternity...

(...torp icon came out of an island, and I was all wth?!? until I remembered about the ghost torpedoes.)

I've seen the ghost torps a couple of times, but this is the first time for me seeing the ghost shells.

Sign in to follow this