Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Understanding the Maass

8 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

I don't understand the Maass. I've done reasonably well using it (carefully) to steal caps. like a hyena after a lion kills a wildebeest. Is that it, though? Does Maass do anything else well? I mean, it's an *okay* torpedo boat, but it has terrible concealment. It's an *okay* gun boat, but it lacks speed and armour, and range (okay, the range is mediocre), and the smoke is, of course, terrible...also, the HE is completely useless except for in close in engagements with other DDs (nonetheless, a Kagero completely smoked me 1v1 today, him 3/4 health, me just under half).

I dunno...what am I missing?

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles

It's best used as an ambush predator.  As you mentioned, it doesn't have the concealment to play sneaky like many other DDs, but if you can learn to ambush with her, the smoke/hydro combo can be devastating for unsuspecting DDs that can't get out of your range.

Also, the AP is highly underrated and under utilized with German DDs.  Any of the "fat" destroyers who give you a flat broadside to shoot at can be wrecked hard.  Same goes for using it on larger ships, if you aim for the superstructure.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It's best used as an ambush predator.  As you mentioned, it doesn't have the concealment to play sneaky like many other DDs, but if you can learn to ambush with her, the smoke/hydro combo can be devastating for unsuspecting DDs that can't get out of your range.

Also, the AP is highly underrated and under utilized with German DDs.  Any of the "fat" destroyers who give you a flat broadside to shoot at can be wrecked hard.  Same goes for using it on larger ships, if you aim for the superstructure.

Thanks. That's more or less how I've been playing. I guess I just have to get the hang of it.

As for the AP, it IS quite nasty, but I find I'm getting mainly over pens on DDs. I'll adjust my aim to see what works.

Thanks again.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,456 battles

Look for smoked up DDs and head towards them, hydro, kill, steel smoke, save torps for bigger fish.

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

Thanks. That's more or less how I've been playing. I guess I just have to get the hang of it.

As for the AP, it IS quite nasty, but I find I'm getting mainly over pens on DDs. I'll adjust my aim to see what works.

Thanks again.

On thinner DDs, like Japanese, you'll find that the AP tends to overpen until they angle a bit.

Thicker DDs, like the French, are the ones where you can reliably hit for damage on full-broadsides.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
47 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

On thinner DDs, like Japanese, you'll find that the AP tends to overpen until they angle a bit.

Thicker DDs, like the French, are the ones where you can reliably hit for damage on full-broadsides.

I just got some solid pens on broadside Mahan after aiming at *just* below the front turrets.

EDIT: Wow! Jutland eats AP pens.

Edited by legozer

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,456 battles

I killed a lot more by main guns than by torps, flood or fire and apparently it took me 31 battles to get the XP for upgraded modules and the next ship. This would be a long time ago and the meta may have changed drastically for the Maass. Well, for me too I guess, I liked the KM DDs, so I chose to redo them for the research bureau. So far I have 4 battles in it but Co op this time.

image.thumb.png.43670558ea5ec249d1e814aaf0a9d713.png

image.thumb.png.2e408f7ef12955c6cfad0e5fc5c89ea9.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

So far, my overall  impression of Maass is that it sucks reallllly hard.

Sign in to follow this