Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slammer58

Geforce Image Sharpening question: FPS hit?

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Members
517 posts
8,926 battles

So I saw the forum thread below posted by Uber_Ghost.  I haven't implemented image sharpening (yet) on my GTX 1660 Ti mostly because I didn't know about it :Smile_amazed:.  Anyways, for those who have Geforce cards and are using image sharpening, does implementing it cause a FPS hit?  increased power usage?  Any other pros?  cons?   Also, I'm assuming using a driver prior to 445.75 and image sharpening is OK?  Thanks...

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,540 posts
13,904 battles

Aloha,

I am actually running tests today to look at this, but we are also working with NVIDIA to try to correct this issue:

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[R-F]
Members
333 posts
11,715 battles

I use the sharpening on a 1070 at 3440x1440 100fps, I don't believe I have the settings maxed though. Honestly I can't remember. I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest driver revision. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
4 hours ago, Slammer58 said:

So I saw the forum thread below posted by Uber_Ghost.  I haven't implemented image sharpening (yet) on my GTX 1660 Ti mostly because I didn't know about it :Smile_amazed:.  Anyways, for those who have Geforce cards and are using image sharpening, does implementing it cause a FPS hit?  increased power usage?  Any other pros?  cons?   Also, I'm assuming using a driver prior to 445.75 and image sharpening is OK?  Thanks...

Yes, using sharpening does hit you for... 20%, specifically on a 1660 ti.  Actually using any filters hits you for 20%.

The easiest way to perform testing is to use replays, though for tuning the filters I used port to extrapolate the numbers having a very specific ship using a very specific view.

Won't be at my machine for testing for a week, but playing with MSAA saw an even larger hit, off yielded ~30% improvement while there's a negligible difference between 2x and 4x.

Did even more tests using a second video card trying to offload physics calculations but it seems bigworld has them incorporated into the code and doesn't utilize the physx APIs which are now open source. I did come across an article somewhere that stated they had done something with intel to run them CPU side.  It'd be nice if they'd decouple it and allow us to utilize another video card for it.   Not even going to bother asking for DX12 with multi GPU support...

Edited by NoSoMo

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
2 hours ago, Ossiuum said:

I use the sharpening on a 1070 at 3440x1440 100fps, I don't believe I have the settings maxed though. Honestly I can't remember. I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest driver revision. 

They released a new driver on the 23rd -- I woke up my machine to find that the previous driver had some how magically uninstalled itself leaving my only option to upgrade -- the machine had not been woken up.  I too run that res with a 1660ti and it can dip down to 47fps under certain conditions though most times it's ~90s.  g-sync on the monitor will run down to ~40 fps before it needs v-sync.

Edited by NoSoMo

[TSIOF]
Beta Testers
48 posts
5,717 battles

I have max settings running on a 1070ti build and have seen no drop in my frames before or after any recent updates. Frames consistent at 72-75

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,540 posts
13,904 battles

Aloha,

So remember not everyone has Image Sharpening ON by default, so some of you may not notice a difference, either way the referenced post I have right after the OP's original post has been updated. NVIDIA has released a patch to correct this if you use Image Sharpening.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Sign in to follow this