You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ericmopar

This is Ridiculous, Midway Encounter Number 2

15 comments in this topic

[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,442 battles

Ridiculous.
First time I encountered it I pumped over 25 HE and AP shells from my Massachusetts into it for almost no damage, now this.

I89 shells from the Worcester, both AP and HE

Is the Midway a BB with flight decks in P vs P too, or is it just the bot Midway that is like this?

Screenshot (17).png

Edited by Ericmopar
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

You don't know what an Armored CV has, do you? :Smile_popcorn:Go pull Midway, Hakuryu and some of those RN Armored CVs in the tech tree, hit Armor View.

You can take your dinky little 152mm guns and throw them away, not unless you're close enough to reliably strike hull.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 2

[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You don't know what an Armored CV has, do you? :Smile_popcorn:Go pull Midway, Hakuryu and some of those RN Armored CVs in the tech tree, hit Armor View.

You can take your dinky little 152mm guns and throw them away, not unless you're close enough to reliably strike hull.

Pretty much this ^ :cap_haloween:

Members
3,752 posts
23,292 battles

You were hitting the wrong parts of the ship. Figured you would have recognized this after maybe the first 50 shells and adjusted.

[HELLS]
Members
2,661 posts
27,122 battles

Aim a foot or two above the waterline. Forget about heavy cruisers, only an AP shell in the right place from a BB can handle Midway in any case. Angle of impact at medium range on the flight deck and you get autobounce.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,481 posts
24,659 battles

Rear end (apparently A$$ is too rude for our forum) is also a good target if it is presented.

Edited by Efros

[PVE]
Members
11,792 posts
24,440 battles

The decks on T10 CV's bounce almost everything. Even Yamato will bounce on them a lot. If it is broadside or slightly angled to you shoot the side. If the angle is enough to bounce then aim for the superstructure. If you have a shot at the A$$ that is a good spot to get damage and even citadels with big enough guns,

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ARGSY]
Members
20,014 posts
14,281 battles
26 minutes ago, Efros said:

Rear end (apparently A$$ is too rude for our forum) is also a good target if it is presented.

9 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

If you have a shot at the A$$ that is a good spot to get damage and even citadels with big enough guns,

All this talk of penetrating the A__ and the frequent use of Man Secs as an abbreviation for the MFCS skill has me wondering. Rum, something-something and the lash, wasn't it? :Smile_trollface: :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
7 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

Ridiculous.
First time I encountered it I pumped over 25 HE and AP shells from my Massachusetts into it for almost no damage, now this.

I89 shells from the Worcester, both AP and HE

Is the Midway a BB with flight decks in P vs P too, or is it just the bot Midway that is like this?

Screenshot (17).png

In RL the brits went for armord decks. It help with bombs and Kamakazi later in thr war.

The downside was a smaller hanger.

Usa cv carried about 90 planes the brits were 50(ish)

[CO-OP]
Members
1,481 posts
24,659 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All this talk of penetrating the A__ and the frequent use of Man Secs as an abbreviation for the MFCS skill has me wondering. Rum, something-something and the lash, wasn't it? :Smile_trollface: :Smile_veryhappy:

https://www.amazon.com/RUM-BUM-BACCY-Tales-Sailor-ebook/dp/B00PKARM24

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles
10 hours ago, Efros said:

Depends on range and the weapons in question.

For USN CLs, unless they are literally in range to grab dat a**, the shells arc too much and will land on the armored flight deck.

For the lower shell arcs of RU and High Tier German Cruisers, it's quite possible if the range is short enough.

I learned years ago even in Randoms with a BB even like Yamato, and firing at an Armored CV to just use HE.  I remember vividly my Yamato being part of a group chasing a distant, fleeing Hakuryu.  I was getting 460mm AP shell hits, but they were bounces.  I didn't understand why that was happening until much later.  The ranges we fight in in WoWS means we don't have Plunging Fire, so our shells impact at an angle to get bounced by the armored flight deck.

German BBs should also consider HE, because they get /4 HE Pen on their HE shells for their Main Batteries also.

Bismarck-class' 380mm has 95mm HE Pen

German 406mm has 102mm HE Pen

German 420mm has 105mm HE Pen

X Midway has an 87mm Armored Flight Deck.  It's actually thinner than it historically was :Smile_popcorn:

X Hakuryu has 95mm.

VIII Implacable varies, at the outer edges it's 25mm, a second ring that's 38mm, and the middle is 76mm.

5ywkFLo.jpg

X Audacious is similar but the middle is 102mm.

Cruisers can't HE Pen that thick Armored Flight Deck.  Henri IV can't, not even with IFHE.  Even IFHE on Hindenburg can't as it goes to 63mm, despite the HE Pen buff on German Cruiser HE on top of IFHE.  Even the 305mm-310mm armed Super Cruisers can't.  Yoshino has the largest with 310mm guns, default HE Pen of 52mm, and IFHE would only take that to 65mm.

So, dinky little 130mm, 152mm guns aren't going to do sh*t unless the attacker is close enough to reliably strike the hull instead.  If I'm playing a DD or CL attacking a bot Armored CV, unless I'm close enough to strike the hull, all I'm realistically hoping for is farming shell hit and fire ribbons, because I know I'm doing no real damage.  I know the BBs will end up getting the damage and likely the kill also.

[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,442 battles
On 3/25/2020 at 2:12 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

But that's my point, even my Massachusetts was bouncing the main battery, both AP and HE on the Midway a few days ago. Not even the more heavily armored Cruisers can do that.

Some of you keep talking about HE pen, but the damn thing bounces AP too.

Edited by Ericmopar

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles
57 minutes ago, Ericmopar said:

But that's my point, even my Massachusetts was bouncing the main battery, both AP and HE on the Midway a few days ago. Not even the more heavily armored Cruisers can do that.

Some of you keep talking about HE pen, but the damn thing bounces AP too.

Autobounce.

That's how it is with Armored CVs.  You do know why they have that thick deck armor, right?  Because of the concern of big heavy bombs coming in at a vertical punching through, so shells coming in at angles will naturally bounce at the ranges we play in within WoWS.  Armored flight decks were that thick, and as I said, Midway's flight deck is supposed to be historically thicker :Smile_coin:

In other words:  Deal with it.

[CVA16]
Members
5,374 posts
16,142 battles

Of course shooting HE isn't that great either since the will likely shatter in MOST cases and CVs are largely immune fires since they can put them out almost immediately as their repair cycles damn fast.