You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BarneyStyle

Detonations are still [bleep]

100 comments in this topic

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,166 battles

Just remove them already...  thanks! 

Edited by BarneyStyle
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 6

[GOB]
Members
2,048 posts

I now people will just say use the flag and I will next patch but I have been and seen MORE Dets in the past 48hrs than EVER.

I was lone ship left and dealing death and would have won, Time expiring and a dd hit me with its guns on my REAR deck. INSTA LOSS.

That said, I got 3 ships to Det ...2 just today. Still I think it's lame.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,740 posts
21,487 battles

The only thing stupid about detonations is that they aren't visually significant! We need big kabooms! Debris flying everywhere!! Detonations were reworked several patches ago. Now you can't even get detonated unless you are very low health.

• Cool 10

[O_O]
Members
6,433 posts
15,318 battles

I have been detonated 97 times.

I have played 10,387 games in which I could be detonated, and earn an "achievement" to track it.  Modern (and ancient) math tells me I am detonated 0.9% of the time.

Raging about that seems a bit ridiculous, doesn't it?

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 4

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,166 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I have played 10,387 games in which I could be detonated, and earn an "achievement" to track it.  Modern (and ancient) math tells me I am detonated 0.9% of the time.

It’s happened to me three times in one day, so no.  It’s a dumb [edited]mechanic

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,098 posts
4,081 battles
8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

The only thing stupid about detonations is that they aren't visually significant! We need big kabooms! Debris flying everywhere!! Detonations were reworked several patches ago. Now you can't even get detonated unless you are very low health.

I'm with you here, when you detonate everyone on the map should know it.

I think people wouldn't mind so much if they got to watch a giant explosion as compensation.

• Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
6,433 posts
15,318 battles
1 minute ago, BarneyStyle said:

It’s happened to me three times in one day, so no.  It’s a dumb [edited]mechanic

OK, so here is another observation I have made about detonations.

Most of them happen when I am playing a destroyer, and am very low on health.  Like, my game was nearly over anyway LOW.  What about yours?  I am genuinely curious. 

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
3 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

That's 30 flags then. 30 flags that you should be using instead of complaining here.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,413 posts
14,163 battles
3 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Going from memory even without the flag (-100%) or the upgrade module (-70%) DD's which do have the highest rate were somewhere around 2% or 1 in 50 matches. I find devastating strikes far more dissatisfying because you get nothing and went boom in a single strike anyway. 

4 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

Are you certain you weren't dev struck? There is no difference to the player and by the time you look at the combat spam it is often gone.

3 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

That's 30 flags then. 30 flags that you should be using instead of complaining here.

Sadly it is only ten flags, once per day but it should be every time with how rare they are even without flags or modules.

1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

Most of them happen when I am playing a destroyer, and am very low on health.  Like, my game was nearly over anyway LOW.  What about yours?  I am genuinely curious. 

This, the full or near full detonation was always rare even before they changed how it works.

[WOOK3]
Members
4,213 posts
3,235 battles
18 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Give me a big boom with turrets flying and a mushroom cloud you can see across the map. Don't hold back.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles

DDs are the ones that really have to worry about Detonations.  Price to pay for not having a Citadel anymore, I guess :Smile_popcorn:

Cruisers don't really worry about Detonations because it's often deletions that do them in.

Battleships rarely detonate because of their heavy protection, however, any torpedoes that hit outside their TDS / Torpedo Bulges run the risk of smacking the Citadel and destroying the ship. 

I've detonated bot Tirpitz with air dropped torpedoes hitting around the bow but close to the forward main battery.

When doing a 3 ship division, a buddy in his Montana took a Shimakaze torp to the bow fairly early in the game.  He had lost a bit of HP already, but nothing major, so when the torp hit around his forward guns, he Detonated.

I remember playing Musashi in Randoms, an Tier VII IJN DD came around and did a torpedo rush.  I turned away but still destroyed him with my guns as I did so.  He still got off torpedoes, of which all I almost evaded.  One last torpedo hit just forward of my no.1 turret, just past my massive TDS, and Detonated my BB.

Detonations happen, but in the overall picture they're rare.  Most especially so for ships larger than a DD.

6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Give me a big boom with turrets flying and a mushroom cloud you can see across the map. Don't hold back.

Image result for yamato detonation

"On April 7, 1945, with the sinking of battleship Yamato, the Imperial Japanese Navy died." - Capt Hara Tameichi, "Japanese Destroyer Captain"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
724 posts
4,640 battles
4 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I remember asking for this a while back, but some WeeGee employee stated it would be to much for potato rigs. Sad times :(

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,398 battles

Pay the detonation tax

Its less than 100,000 credits per flag and can be limitlessly purchased in the armory (50,000 per flag if you use the coupons)

Yes detonation is a stupid mechanic that should not be in the game

But you don't have to let it affect you, just pay the tax and move on

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,166 battles
16 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Usually 3/4 health

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Just use a flag.

Even without flags they are so rare it's not worth crying about, but since you can just buy flags with credits if you don't have enough there is no reason not to fly one.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
14,998 battles

Kleber is a det magnet. I've been detonated more in that ship than any other. Multiple times in one day. In consecutive days. It's inordinate.

No, I don't run the flag in randoms. They get stockpiled for ranked/clans. Pointless to run flags in randoms these days other than economic. Plus, I'm just about out of battle flags at this point anyway. Pff.

[GOB]
Members
2,048 posts
17 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Pay the detonation tax

Its less than 100,000 credits per flag and can be limitlessly purchased in the armory (50,000 per flag if you use the coupons)

This is the usual reply to these threads. I find them strange.  Especially when posted on a veteran players comment. 1)I'm sure they know and 2) I'm sure they have them already.  The cost of the flag means nothing.  I have 690 of them.  I refuse to use them and let them take up a valuable slot I need for things that ACTUALLY happen every single round.  

So I get Det and it's a drag, but 2 times in 24hrs and the timing is just odd.

That said , it is all MOOT with the next patch and I will be able to use all of my nearly 700 and not worry about the lack of space for signals anymore.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,166 battles
11 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Pay the detonation tax

Taxation is theft.

10 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

This is the usual reply to these threads. I find them strange.  Especially when posted on a veteran players comment. 1)I'm sure they know and 2) I'm sure they have them already.  The cost of the flag means nothing.  I have 690 of them.  I refuse to use them and let them take up a valuable slot I need for things that ACTUALLY happen every single round.  

So I get Det and it's a drag, but 2 times in 24hrs and the timing is just odd.

That said , it is all MOOT with the next patch and I will be able to use all of my nearly 700 and not worry about the lack of space for signals anymore.

I know, and I have them, but i like to remind WG about their mistakes.

Edited by BarneyStyle

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Like this….

Yamato det.jpg

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Members
3,349 posts
33,154 battles
58 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

10 signals once every 24 hours, so he only gets 10.

Members
14 posts
1,421 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Fun fact:  When IJN Yamato died, she suffered a detonation.  The blast was so large it produced a mushroom cloud that could be seen from the Japanese islands over 400 miles away.

Definitely agree with you....

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

The only thing stupid about detonations is that they aren't visually significant! We need big kabooms! Debris flying everywhere!! Detonations were reworked several patches ago.

Damn right.  Where is the BOOM?  Detonations should be awe inspiring ship murder, instead it's still anaemic even after the graphics upgrade a while back.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,627 posts
9,465 battles
1 hour ago, PotatoMD said:

I remember asking for this a while back, but some WeeGee employee stated it would be to much for potato rigs. Sad times :(

Nonsense. Simply add a detonation option in the graphics settings - the current boring one for low-performance machines, and a glorious cataclysmic explosion for those of us with decent rigs. :fish_boom:

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,413 posts
14,163 battles
10 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Damn right.  Where is the BOOM?  Detonations should be awe inspiring ship murder, instead it's still anaemic even after the graphics upgrade a while back.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
19 minutes ago, nocturnae_incarnate said:

Fun fact:  When IJN Yamato died, she suffered a detonation.  The blast was so large it produced a mushroom cloud that could be seen from the Japanese islands over 400 miles away.

Definitely agree with you....

refer to the above photo about 2-3 posts before yours