You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

Ships you thought were OP until you got one...

61 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
804 posts
13,523 battles

Anyone have ships like the title says?

I got the Kremlin recently as fighting against it I always found it a bit OP but in my hands...nope. Probably just me and haven't played enough games it yet.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

CLs fall into this one...

ATL/Flint/KUTUZOV/Smolensk...

Great fun ships, good to burn BBs to the waterline at one time... Now, not even a glory of their former selves 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,442 posts
15,343 battles

Whether a ship is OP or not is completely up to the commander playing her.  Just because a ship has the potential for being OP when properly played (and let's face it, that is uncommon rather than the norm), does NOT mean the ship will be OP just because you bought/earned it.

I have seen all of the legendary OP ships...Belfast, Kamikaze, Mikhail Kutuzov, Imperator Nikolai I, etc...go down in flames quickly because they were played by taters.  Sorry, taters, but none of the OP ships will magically make you good. You have to get gud first, then you can wreak havoc with your OP ship.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 4

[NET]
Beta Testers
541 posts
5,528 battles

gotta agree with you on the Kremlin. i found the tier 9 much better.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
3,110 posts
25,929 battles

All these changes WG preforms feels like every month there's a change is making me have second thoughts about purchasing new ships and thinking when will they change the stats on this new ship I just brought? You may want to think twice about buying them because it might not be the same ship a year later …………………..

• Cool 8

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,215 battles
12 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

All these changes WG preforms feels like every month there's a change is making me have second thoughts about purchasing new ships and thinking when will they change the stats on this new ship I just brought? You may want to think twice about buying them because it might not be the same ship a year later …………………..

This^^^^

3 of my premium ships I bought in the last 6 months have been hit hard with the nerf hammer. What's the point? And a few I wanted to get that were steel ships I'm glad I did not because they have been hit hard also. Only ship now I want is the Alaska, but not going to get it as it will also probably be nerfed in the future. Not spending real money on premiums anymore, WG has lost my trust, and the game is not what it was even just 6 months ago. No longer play several hours every day, in fact am skipping days a lot lately all together.

And with the ever more meager rewards, loot etc. it is becoming no longer much fun, to much of a grind and beginning to feel like work. Still like the ships, the idea of the game etc. but actually almost dread hitting the battle button with current MM, team dynamics, meta etc. More often than not it just pisses me off and raises my blood pressure.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[O_O]
Members
6,442 posts
15,343 battles
1 minute ago, Frigate007 said:

1)  3 of my premium ships I bought in the last 6 months have been hit hard with the nerf hammer. What's the point? And a few I wanted to get that were steel ships I'm glad I did not because they have been hit hard also. Only ship now I want is the Alaska, but not going to get it as it will also probably be nerfed in the future. Not spending real money on premiums anymore

2)  actually almost dread hitting the battle button with current MM, team dynamics, meta etc. More often than not it just pisses me off and raises my blood pressure.

1)  The ship doesn't make the captain.  The captain makes the ship.  OP ships are only OP when played competently.  Even turd ships can shine when played well.  Don't blame the ship.

2)  And, don't blame everything else if blaming the ship isn't enough.  I am reading a lot of blame, here, and zero 'mea culpa'.  Improve the player, and the ships will follow.  Blame everything else, and the player cannot improve.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 4

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles

RN light cruisers.

Everyone else beats me to death either the filthy things; I now consider all of them except Emerald to be useless garbage.

’Overpens and ricochets and shatters oh my!’’

1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

1)  The ship doesn't make the captain.  The captain makes the ship.  OP ships are only OP when played competently.  Even turd ships can shine when played well.  Don't blame the ship.

Mutsuki, Colorado, The Donut, Marblehead, New York, a few others, love them all.

Kut, Missou, Belfast, a few others, not so much.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,215 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

2)  And, don't blame everything else if blaming the ship isn't enough.  I am reading a lot of blame, here, and zero 'mea culpa'.  Improve the player, and the ships will follow.  Blame everything else, and the player cannot improve.

Not blaming the ships, been playing well last couple of months.Just don't like the idea of spending cash for one thing and a few months later it becomes less effective. Also getting tired of getting torped by team mates, humans and bots.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles

Id say Stalingrad would fit that bill for me. Before getting her, I figured I could just roll up anywhere on the map, tank 2 mil or more with no problem, and hit angled BBs with AP for 10k+ salvos everytime I shot at them. I think I'm doing ok with her considering I've not had her for very long yet, but I wouldn't consider her OP anymore. Sure, she can tank a lot of damage and her AP is really potent, but she's also pretty unforgiving if you don't play her the way she's meant to be. I've also discovered she is stupidly easy to set on fire, and has a very short damage con. God forbid you let anything get around you side. TBH I think her psychological impact, the mere presence of her in a match is her greatest power. People who don't have steel ships typically have the mentality that they are "broken, op, etc." I used to have this viewpoint as well. Now, having earned 3 steel ships, I consider them powerful when played correctly, but in no way OP. You can get deleted in them just as easily as you can in any other ship.

[O_O]
Members
6,442 posts
15,343 battles
Just now, Frigate007 said:

Not blaming the ships, been playing well last couple of months.Just don't like the idea of spending cash for one thing and a few months later it becomes less effective. Also getting tired of getting torped by team mates, humans and bots.

Yeah, still just seeing blame.  :fish_sleep:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,215 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

Yeah, still just seeing blame.  :fish_sleep:

That's because you are a troll....

• Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,442 posts
15,343 battles
3 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

That's because you are a troll....

Uh, wut?

I don't cater to your point of view, so I am a troll???  You know what that is, don't you?

More blame.

:cap_old:

I am actually trying to help you by attempting to show you that blame is not a path to improvement.  If you can't see that...well, enjoy mediocrity, I guess.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Boring 4

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,057 battles
11 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Id say Stalingrad would fit that bill for me. Before getting her, I figured I could just roll up anywhere on the map, tank 2 mil or more with no problem, and hit angled BBs with AP for 10k+ salvos everytime I shot at them. I think I'm doing ok with her considering I've not had her for very long yet, but I wouldn't consider her OP anymore. Sure, she can tank a lot of damage and her AP is really potent, but she's also pretty unforgiving if you don't play her the way she's meant to be. I've also discovered she is stupidly easy to set on fire, and has a very short damage con. God forbid you let anything get around you side. TBH I think her psychological impact, the mere presence of her in a match is her greatest power. People who don't have steel ships typically have the mentality that they are "broken, op, etc." I used to have this viewpoint as well. Now, having earned 3 steel ships, I consider them powerful when played correctly, but in no way OP. You can get deleted in them just as easily as you can in any other ship.

Stali has weakness. Broadside and she gets wrecked. Bow in with a DM/Salem is brutal. 

bow in holding a flank with broadside protected she can wreck an advance. Proper position to catch anything but bow in ships and if you read the push and your flank correct you can flee angled away while punishing anyone who wants to follow. It’s op but if caught in a bad situation she struggles to get free

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,663 posts
14,750 battles

Colbert, never seem to get myself into a good situation. Abysmal vs anything moving away from you. Poor vision control. Not the ship for me. 

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,652 battles
1 hour ago, motaz87 said:

gotta agree with you on the Kremlin. i found the tier 9 much better.

Soyuz is fantastic.  Biggest problem with the Kremlin, I find, is that T7-T10 are practically all the same ship.  I loved the Soyuz, but I got to the Kremlin and I was bored.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles
12 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

Stali has weakness. Broadside and she gets wrecked. Bow in with a DM/Salem is brutal. 

bow in holding a flank with broadside protected she can wreck an advance. Proper position to catch anything but bow in ships and if you read the push and your flank correct you can flee angled away while punishing anyone who wants to follow. It’s op but if caught in a bad situation she struggles to get free

Oh yeah, 100% true. My point was that most players have it in their head that steel ship = op, when that just isn't true. Now, owning 3 of those ships, I've more or less concluded that each steel ship has a sort of niche that when played to, it is very powerful. However, when not played to that niche, you either end up having little effect on the game, or die very quickly. Bourgogne, which I honestly prefer over Stalingrad, is the exact same way. Typically I do end up making an aggressive play with her at some point in a match, but I have to pick the right moment and time it right, or I'll likely get killed because she just cant take hits like other BBs at her tier can. And yeah, like you said, that ROF on Salem and DM is brutal. IDK why more people didn't get Salem? I think she's a pretty solid ship myself.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,289 posts
17,483 battles

In the right hands none of therm are OP and I seem to have the right hands,  just kidding. I notice the ships that I think are going to be non-OP and turn out that I really like them. I don't think it's happened for a while now. Huanghe is a ship I like that was supposed to be, not the one.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

This^^^^

3 of my premium ships I bought in the last 6 months have been hit hard with the nerf hammer. What's the point? And a few I wanted to get that were steel ships I'm glad I did not because they have been hit hard also. Only ship now I want is the Alaska, but not going to get it as it will also probably be nerfed in the future. Not spending real money on premiums anymore, WG has lost my trust, and the game is not what it was even just 6 months ago. No longer play several hours every day, in fact am skipping days a lot lately all together.

And with the ever more meager rewards, loot etc. it is becoming no longer much fun, to much of a grind and beginning to feel like work. Still like the ships, the idea of the game etc. but actually almost dread hitting the battle button with current MM, team dynamics, meta etc. More often than not it just pisses me off and raises my blood pressure.

If one of them was a cv I have sympathy. If it was not them I love it.

Because got shat on whenwe said you cant nerf prem and every one said good.

Now the shoe is on the other fpot and people dont like it.

• Boring 1

Members
137 posts
11,313 battles

For me it's the Georgia. She's a good ship and all, but I just can't get her to work.

I love all my T9 BBs, but for all her amazing strengths, I always tend to fail spectacularly when in the Georgia.

• Cool 1

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,057 battles
25 minutes ago, Rokkator said:

For me it's the Georgia. She's a good ship and all, but I just can't get her to work.

I love all my T9 BBs, but for all her amazing strengths, I always tend to fail spectacularly when in the Georgia.

It’s all about timing the push. I try to move to the edge of the map. I have spectacularly amazing games in Georgia and epic fails

[WOLF9]
Members
4,471 posts
1 hour ago, Rokkator said:

I felt the same way for quite a few games.  Like what the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?  What's all the shouting about?   Then it finally clicked.

Not exactly sure WHAT I did differently, but Georgia suddenly started showing flashes of brilliance more and more often.    I think I was too hung up on the small # of guns and the glacial turret traverse.   With a ship this fast, it's a real delicate balancing act to keep your guns on target once in secondary range!

It's absolutely brutal when you can make it sing, though!

On topic, I have a real history of total suckage with ships everyone else raves about, lol.     I'm the guy who loves the ships the boards love to hate.

Members
3,091 posts
6,663 battles

I'm not really any good with French destroyers or with Bayard. Also not great with Georgia, the speed often tempts me to overextend, while with the other secondary-build US battleship, you're so slow that it's really hard to actually overextend.

On the other hand, Minotaur really clicks for me, as do the Swedish DDs starting from Skane. Those are all high skill floor ships, and I'm not unicom or anything, but they're in the minority of ships that I can consistently hold my own with in Ranked or Random (If I have to play Random).

[WOLF9]
Members
4,471 posts
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

RN light cruisers.

Everyone else beats me to death either the filthy things; I now consider all of them except Emerald to be useless garbage.

’Overpens and ricochets and shatters oh my!’’

Mutsuki, Colorado, The Donut, Marblehead, New York, a few others, love them all.

Kut, Missou, Belfast, a few others, not so much.

Definitely.   I found most of the RN CL's to be a royal pain in the butt to play. (pun intended)  It took me FOREVER to grind out Leander, after getting it in the 2016 Holiday campaign.   (Danae WAS fun- in the yolo torp role, however!)   

Then I got Fiji.

Was prepared for more disappointment- got holy CRAP- this thing is nasty!!!  instead.

Aside from much sucky- which I don't have-  your list of loves is also mine.   "The Donut"  turned out to be not only really fun, but wickedly effective.

As for the other list, Missou can be really fun- or it can be rage inducing.  (Just like Iowa!) The other 2 I find kinda meh.  At tier 7, I greatly prefer to play Fiji; Helena; Boise; one of the Myokos, or N'Orlins to Belfast.  And at tier 8, there are plenty of great cruisers I love- like Cleve and Bayard.

[THREE]
Members
2,400 posts
13,188 battles

Hey

I agree with Kremlin; it's a very strong boat but when your thinking about getting close and expecting better accuracy; I have had many times where the gun accuracy really kind of sucked when up close and personal at sub 4km, even broadside BB's that were dead in the water at 8km, fired both front guns 3 times and only got 3 pens, it was pathetic RNG for waterline shots.  Otherwise it's a very strong ship.  I still prefer my GK overall.

The next ship is the Georgia.  I had had some very good games but many are just nothing interesting, she seems to take damage way to easy and het guns too many times will let you down.  I run a secondary build but may changed it out for something else.  Not a consistent boat for it's tier; I like the Mass. at it's tier much better and more consistent.

For a Tech tree boat, it's the Minotaur.  Those stupid gun arcs make it hard to hit anything with range of those same guns; takes forever to do much damage and it's so very fragile and easy to delete.  The best part are the torps and at least it has smoke; can't imagine playing it as a radar boat since it has very little kiting ability.  The great detection helps but again those guns for me are terrible.

Pete