Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gbgentry

Saipan - SE vs Armor vs Demo Expert

6 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
997 posts

Getting at least one, possibly two, 3pt skills and seeking advice.  I see a lot of threads saying that SE is maybe less important for the Saipan:  Agree or Disagree?   Demo Expert to take full advantage on the HE?  Or just throw on a Victor Lima flag,getting the flooding bonus in addition, & use the points for something else?  

Thanks!

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,048 posts
12,728 battles
8 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Getting at least one, possibly two, 3pt skills and seeking advice.  I see a lot of threads saying that SE is maybe less important for the Saipan:  Agree or Disagree?   Demo Expert to take full advantage on the HE?  Or just throw on a Victor Lima flag,getting the flooding bonus in addition, & use the points for something else?  

Thanks!

I don't agree that it's less important, it works out to be about 10% more hit points for her planes. Saipan's planes may be naturally tougher, but she has a bad regeneration and shallow reserves so she can ill afford to lose them. Such is the price of having tier 10 planes on a tier 8 CV. Also it's nice to be able to train the captain for a tech tree CV, and run them in both. All my CV captains are remarkably similar, with the exception of one of my RN captains who actually uses Demo Expert.

While you can see games where you're top tier and mostly facing tier 6's where the hit points are overkill, you will equally likely be bottom tier in matches full of tier 10's and you'll need the extra hit points.

BTW, you can throw all 3 fire and flood flags on a her, CV's can't be detonated anyway as they have no main battery magazines in game terms.

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
32 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Thanks!

With CV's, Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert are necessary to improve the survival of the planes in heavy flak, and they help boost the ship HP, too.

Demolition Expert is optional.  Nice to have, but not a priority over other CV-specific skills.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,395 battles

Look up TopTier on youtube, he has guides for all of them.  I will tell you I run the same build on all my USN CV's.  My Saipan and Enterprise share Ovechkin with my Midway.  Yes Saipan's planes are supposed to be tougher but as stated above she has a small hangar and very slow regen.  Anything to prevent losses is immensely helpful.  Posted is a screenshot of TopTier's latest midway video, same captain and build as Saipan.

Screenshot (13).png

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,031 posts
11,611 battles
3 hours ago, gbgentry said:

I see a lot of threads saying that SE is maybe less important for the Saipan:  Agree or Disagree?

Disagree, heavily. I'll have to double check but at last recall - Saipan's planes only have more HP PER PLANE - Meaning Lexington's comparable groups that are larger actually have MORE HP than Saipan's meaning that while you have a slightly higher chance of losing a single plane in Lex, the loss is not nearly as bad as Saipan and can actually stay in AA longer. 

If your going to play a CV - you NEED to take SE and Air Armour - especially on 8+ CV's. DE is optional, and even then - should really only be taken if playing a UK CV, especially Indomitable because they really kinda screwed things up there. Saipan TT's pen most any standard ship armour you'll find, and USN HVAR has 32 mm of pen, and USN 2000 lb bombs (the M66 used by Saipan and Midway is a 2000 lb bomb) has a 51% fire chance and 40+ mm of pen (forget exact number). They can make a ton on pen and then relatively high fire chance naturally. For some insane reason UK 6" RP-3's have 27 mm of pen on HE warheads and 28 mm on SAP, with the best bombs at tier 10 having 32 mm of armour where most BB's are covered in more beyond bow/stern and many cruisers besides insane AA can end up inbetween the falling bombs because of the dumb, a-historical carpet bombing. Your going to shatter more bombs than pen - so you want maximum chance of fire on UK CV's. 

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
997 posts

Here’s the thing about SE - I’ve still yet to run out of Saipan planes.  Sure, I’ll lose a squadron but I’ve yet to have nothing that I can put in the air in either the Saipan or my IJN.  Admittedly, I’m just getting back in the game after taking a LONG time off and have only run about 15 CV games since returning.  I guess the question becomes “How much damage does AA do?  Will the extra hit points truly matter?”.  Leaning SE at this point so they’ll at least last longer on my approach run...

Edited by gbgentry

Sign in to follow this