Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SlashGamesYT

Suggestion For a new warship

7 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
36 battles

I think you should a the RMS Olympic it started out as a British triple screw steamer with 4 smoke stacks passenger ship and then in WW1 it became a warship it survived 2 torpedo attacks and survived purposely raming into a German U boat then it was a passenger ship again it was scrapped in 1935. Sadly it is none of the category's  it's a troop ship.

Edited by SlashGamesYT
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,100 posts
19,199 battles
12 minutes ago, SlashGamesYT said:

I think you should a the RMS Olympic it started out as a British triple screw steamer with 4 smoke stacks passenger ship and then in WW1 it became a warship it survived 2 torpedo attacks and survived purposely raming into a German U boat then it was a passenger ship again it was scrapped in the 1930's.

So would it be a destroyer, cruiser, battleship, or aircraft carrier? Or would it be a submarine? Cuz those are the categories we have!

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,029 posts
11,611 battles
4 hours ago, Umikami said:

So would it be a destroyer, cruiser, battleship, or aircraft carrier?

IF, and that is a very big if, we actually entertained this idea - cruiser. She's flat out too big to be a DD, and while I'm still looking for exact armament, in 1917 she was given 6 inch guns, unsure if those replaced or added any number of 3 inch and 4.7 inch guns she had. 

The one solid number I can find is 6x 152 mm guns - knowing what I do of the ship class and looking at one of my Titanic models and what few pictures show any guns on Olympic I'm guessing 1 each side of bow and stern, with with the other two either centered on C deck fore and aft on the lower parts, or between the first and second and second and third funnels. The question then being where any 4.7 and 3 inch guns hat were already there/remained would be. Obviously we'd only get control of the 6 inch guns (and by all accounts they appear to have been all out 6 inch guns a proper warship would have) though the 4.7's if they remained could have a high range so while computer controlled still function as a main battery sort of. Not really armoured so like say Atlanta high chance to just over pen the ship, and generally kinda lacks a citadel but more likely to just eat HE rounds from everything. Probably tier 2-3 at the best unless it has something to boost it to 4-5, meaning subs would have to go to tier 4for it to have a chance at seeing one (which if Subs were being handled right and not the stupid even's only nonsense again, would be possible as they U-57 type U-boat (the class of what U-103 was) could fit at tier 4 as it has 2 fore and aft tubes (unlike UB III that's 4/1 and the basis of the Type VII that would appear at tier 7 or 8 if not possibly both - a late and early version). Though I'm hesitant to have subs at tier 4 and would say tier 5 is the lowest they should go to.

I mean it's really a case of yeah - it's plausible to put it in the game. But insane and I think long run not worth it - not unless you were going to base an operation off saving people or transporting troops while dealing with AI subs.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,100 posts
19,199 battles
32 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

IF, and that is a very big if, we actually entertained this idea - cruiser.

You have GOT to be kidding! Olympic is TWICE as long as ANY cruiser of that era; in fact, she is 240 feet longer than HMS Warspite. She is also 2 feet wider and draws 2 feet more draught beneath her keel. Olympic displaces about 20,000 more tons of water than Warspite. That is one damn big cruiser.

What that is going to mean in the game is Olympic being spotted way, way, WAY far away and only having 4.7 inch guns to fire back at whomever engages her at the max range which should be slightly further than the 14.22 km that Warspite can be detected at. There is no freakin way this tuna boat survives as a cruiser, it's just way to big. Way, way to big. This bucket is the sister ship to the Titanic for God's sake. 

Whoever took this thing into a match would be nothing more than a bucket full of credits with a big flashing neon sign that says "FARM ME' in 20 foot tall, glow in the dark letters. Would be spotted much further out than a BB would, with what is basically DD armament and oil tanker armor. And harvested like an over-ripe peach.

Never, ever going to happen.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,029 posts
11,611 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You have GOT to be kidding! Olympic is TWICE as long as ANY cruiser of that era; in fact, she is 240 feet longer than HMS Warspite. She is also 2 feet wider and draws 2 feet more draught beneath her keel. Olympic displaces about 20,000 more tons of water than Warspite. That is one damn big cruiser.

What that is going to mean in the game is Olympic being spotted way, way, WAY far away and only having 4.7 inch guns to fire back at whomever engages her at the max range which should be slightly further than the 14.22 km that Warspite can be detected at. There is no freakin way this tuna boat survives as a cruiser, it's just way to big. Way, way to big. This bucket is the sister ship to the Titanic for God's sake. 

Whoever took this thing into a match would be nothing more than a bucket full of credits with a big flashing neon sign that says "FARM ME' in 20 foot tall, glow in the dark letters. Would be spotted much further out than a BB would, with what is basically DD armament and oil tanker armor. And harvested like an over-ripe peach.

Never, ever going to happen.

Cruiser level, again 1917 she was armed  with 6 inch guns.

There are other ships closer to that labeled cruisers, albeit high tier, and yeah, a ton of hp but 0 armour and yeah, like I said, I was looking at one of my models to even guess where the guns were cause I'm well aware what ship it is.

It's also why I end on basically 'plausible but insane'. That is me playing devil's advocate and taking the absolute longest stretch of how to even possibly implement the damn thing - and even I know it's insane and why I point out it'd basically have to be special made for operations. Which yeah, is basically a 'never going to happen'.

A more accurate summary would have been 'A CV's spotting range with cruiser caliber guns' as size and all is closer to fleet carriers but with less protection than most and carriers have wore spotting ranges than BB's for that reason. If they actually added this without some kind of special tie in and operation, I would have to question the sanity of Wargaming's staff. Cause even I wouldn't be crazy enough to play the ship in randoms - and I'll brawl with a GK in a cruiser at point blank range.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,100 posts
19,199 battles
3 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Cruiser level, again 1917 she was armed  with 6 inch guns.

Not according to Wikipedia, which clearly states she sported 4.7 inchers. Either way, it wouldn't matter at all; she'd still get waxed within the first 5 minutes.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,029 posts
11,611 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Not according to Wikipedia, which clearly states she sported 4.7 inchers.

918005727_olympic6inchreference.thumb.PNG.623d6b66cda2380e0b5021f80db0f395.PNG

Literally the Wikipedia page - "in 1917 she gained 6-inch guns and was painted with -" etc etc. As well as various other places discussing it but all the old picture links broken.

But yes, she'd get shredded pretty fast.

Sign in to follow this