You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
anonym_bleJN7gXeLqd

Småland is a fun boat!

26 comments in this topic

Members
324 posts

Here are the results of two battles that I had in the Småland.  I am really enjoying her.   

I am beginning to think that the 2 million Free XP that I spent was actually worth it.....

2020-03-19 (1).png

2020-03-19 (2).png

2020-03-23 (1).png

2020-03-23 (2).png

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,828 posts
25,898 battles

@Ciryandil  I agree that the Småland is a nice DD.  Is it really worth 2M FXP?  I personally don't think so.  I think that a proper pricing would have been more like 1.5M FXP.

Regardless...

I have one minor gripe about the Småland.  Personally, I think that it's a little too slow for a DD that lacks smoke.  I think that a speed of 39-40 would have been better, as it'd give the DD a better chance of escaping from difficult situations where other DDs would do so using smoke.

• Cool 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
743 posts
6,688 battles

I love the ship as well. I see a fair number of negative posts about the entire Euro DD line but I also see a select following of people who like these ships. Sure I wish Smaland was a bit faster but the 30% speed boost is hilarious. Get into trouble, pop that sucker and ruuuuunnn away pew pew dodge pew pew dodge.. lol. The torps may not be as fast as the tier 9 or 10, or as far but 12km and around 80 knots with the torpedo mod in slot 3 are still good. You just have to work at it a bit more maybe than some DD, but you also have utility use like radar and a heal as well.

[BS]
Members
1,979 posts
10,810 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

@Ciryandil  I agree that the Småland is a nice DD.  Is it really worth 2M FXP?  I personally don't think so.  I think that a proper pricing would have been more like 1.5M FXP.

Regardless...

I have one minor gripe about the Småland.  Personally, I think that it's a little too slow for a DD that lacks smoke.  I think that a speed of 39-40 would have been better, as it'd give the DD a better chance of escaping from difficult situations where other DDs would do so using smoke.

can't have another Kleber can we....

Members
324 posts
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I agree that the Småland is a nice DD.  Is it really worth 2M FXP?  I personally don't think so.  I think that a proper pricing would have been more like 1.5M FXP.

I do honestly think that WG ought to have made the price a bit lower for Småland.  But having radar is quite valuable for a Tier X DD, you ahve to admit.  

2 million Free XP price for the upcoming DD, Hayate, is absolutely ridiculous since that boat seems to be just a hybrid Shimakaze-Harugumo , a jack-of-all trades, and does not seem special enough to warrant a 2 million Free XP price tag.   

7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The wiki link on Småland says that her speed was 37 knots.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSwMS_Småland_(J19) 

The 32-33 knots base speed I think is WG trying to keep her balanced in relation with other Tier X DDs, as her fast-loading guns, extremely fast torps (and fast reload torps), a Repair Party heal, and Surveillance Radar already make Småland a powerhouse.   The Speed Boost at least does enable Småland to reach 39 knots which is just a bit faster than her historical speed, and kinda makes up for the "nerf" that WG gave her. Of course, the Speed Boost itself does not last that long, so there is that to consider. 

Personally, I still think that Småland is a fine boat even with her somewhat low speed. 

Members
324 posts
4 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

can't have another Kleber can we....

Agreed. 

Kleber is pretty powerful as it stands in terms of Tier X DDs.   Even after the huge nerfs that WG gave to Kleber and Mogador, they are still forces to be reckoned with. 

Kleber is actually effective at fighting enemy Smålands.  I know because while in my Småland, I got sunk by 2 enemy Klebers.  

[CHASE]
Modder
133 posts
4,879 battles
On 3/24/2020 at 10:40 PM, Ciryandil said:

The Speed Boost at least does enable Småland to reach 39 knots 

Not sure where you got this from since it incredibly wrong, Småland goes 47.4 knots with flag + boost. The boost is a unique 30% one.

Maybe you're mixing her up with Halland which has a normal 8%.

Members
324 posts
On 3/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, Nikoolix said:

Not sure where you got this from since it incredibly wrong, Småland goes 47.4 knots with flag + boost. The boost is a unique 30% one.

Maybe you're mixing her up with Halland which has a normal 8%.

You are right. I just verified the numbers with my own Smaland just a moment ago.  My apologies.  

When I previously stated the numbers of Smaland, I guess it was because I did not actually sail my Smaland in a perfectly straight line to determine the values.

[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,448 battles

Smaland also is a good place to use the speed boost upgrade you can get with coal; 30% speed boost for 90 seconds instead of 60 makes her a viable speedtank, if not quite on Kleber's level. 

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,880 battles

MBM1, Radar, Torp Tubes, Propulsion, Concealment, MBM3

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles
23 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

MBM1, Radar, Torp Tubes, Propulsion, Concealment, MBM3

Do you set her up as a gun boat? I am just not meshing my Capt. skill and upgrade well I guess.

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,197 battles
On 3/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ciryandil said:

I do honestly think that WG ought to have made the price a bit lower for Småland.  But having radar is quite valuable for a Tier X DD, you ahve to admit.  

2 million Free XP price for the upcoming DD, Hayate, is absolutely ridiculous since that boat seems to be just a hybrid Shimakaze-Harugumo , a jack-of-all trades, and does not seem special enough to warrant a 2 million Free XP price tag.   

The wiki link on Småland says that her speed was 37 knots.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSwMS_Småland_(J19) 

The 32-33 knots base speed I think is WG trying to keep her balanced in relation with other Tier X DDs, as her fast-loading guns, extremely fast torps (and fast reload torps), a Repair Party heal, and Surveillance Radar already make Småland a powerhouse.   The Speed Boost at least does enable Småland to reach 39 knots which is just a bit faster than her historical speed, and kinda makes up for the "nerf" that WG gave her. Of course, the Speed Boost itself does not last that long, so there is that to consider. 

Personally, I still think that Småland is a fine boat even with her somewhat low speed. 

Hey

But her speed of 35 knots is before speed boost and that's still not overly fast for a non-smoke DD, since she would have likely had smoke and radar in real life.  So much for historical accuracy; that Radar could be handy in the right situation though.  But no smoke, kind of on the slow side even with a flag and only one set of torps, and even though it has speed boost, its a very short duration one.  Again, is it really worth 2 million XP to get, or just grind the line for Holland which seems pretty strong overall, or just use coal and get the speed demon Frenchy?  

P.S.  How are the gun arcs, floaty shells?  Will have to check out some videos.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

[NG-NL]
Members
264 posts
9,187 battles
9 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

So much for historical accuracy....
Radar could be handy in the right situation though.  But no smoke, kind of on the slow side even with a flag and only one set of torps, and even though it has speed boost, its a very short duration one.  Again, is it really worth 2 million XP to get, or just grind the line for Holland which seems pretty strong overall, or just use coal and get the speed demon Frenchy?  

P.S.  How are the gun arcs, floaty shells?  Will have to check out some videos.

- This game uses historical elements, but is not, and does not try to be, historically accurate.
- As you say, radar is handy in certain situations. Being able to exploit that tool is key to being successful in Småland.
- Use the speed boost tactically, to get out of (or maybe into) a bad situation. It's like German DD consumables: have them ready before you push. It does have 2 sets of torpedoes: 1x5 and 1x3.
- If you're not comfortable with the price, don't do it. I didn't see a better use for my Free XP, and I'm happy with my purchase. Certainly the Hålland is a good ship and doesn't require Free XP. Kléber is good too. They don't play the same as the Småland, that's all.
- The shells are a bit floaty. This annoys the heck out of me (I love Khabarovsk shells) until my target sails behind an island, and then I'm quite happy to rain fire from above.

[HOOPR]
Members
11 posts
11,931 battles

Liking my Smaland quite a bit. Agreed on overpriced but lots of fun.

I know it would never happen but it would be so cool if WG added a new consumable to allow the Rb08 missles to be used once or twice. Not necessarily as a ship to ship missle but in the historic secondary recon configuration. It would be really cool to have a single direction recon drone that flies out to the edge of the map in a straight line providing temporary spotting.

The missle would still be subject to be shot down and it would be fast and not loiter so more of just a quick look in one direction once or twice in a battle. Maybe a narrow sight range of 5km as well so direction of aiming (using torp tubes to aim) very important.

just a thought, never hapoen but would be really cool.

• Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,197 battles
On 4/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, Zip_Zip said:

Liking my Smaland quite a bit. Agreed on overpriced but lots of fun.

I know it would never happen but it would be so cool if WG added a new consumable to allow the Rb08 missles to be used once or twice. Not necessarily as a ship to ship missle but in the historic secondary recon configuration. It would be really cool to have a single direction recon drone that flies out to the edge of the map in a straight line providing temporary spotting.

The missle would still be subject to be shot down and it would be fast and not loiter so more of just a quick look in one direction once or twice in a battle. Maybe a narrow sight range of 5km as well so direction of aiming (using torp tubes to aim) very important.

just a thought, never hapoen but would be really cool.

Hey

Too bad they couldn't treat the missile as another gun (so to speak) where you would aim, fire and it would sail to the particular ship, of course only having 2 to shoot.  I think it would be an interesting idea for some of the interwar/cold war ships we are seeing.  

Pete

[CHASE]
Modder
133 posts
4,879 battles
On 5/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Too bad they couldn't treat the missile as another gun (so to speak) where you would aim, fire and it would sail to the particular ship, of course only having 2 to shoot.  I think it would be an interesting idea for some of the interwar/cold war ships we are seeing.  

Pete

The devs have already said they've tested missiles but didn't find it fitting for the game. Think about how you'd balance it? It's either a very slow shell that is so easy to dodge that it's meaningless, or it's a homing missile which would be OP.

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
931 posts
30,952 battles

what this??? the smaland has like a launch rockets AA similar to HOOD , is this?

shot-20.05.14_15.10.13-0787.jpg

Edited by rafael_azuaje

[CHASE]
Modder
133 posts
4,879 battles
On 5/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, rafael_azuaje said:

what this??? the smaland has like a launch rockets AA similar to HOOD , is this?

Just checked the Swedish DD book, 57mm flare rockets.

• Cool 1

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
931 posts
30,952 battles
13 hours ago, Nikoolix said:

Just checked the Swedish DD book, 57mm flare rockets.

ah ok thank you very much, I thought they were AA rockets

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
931 posts
30,952 battles
4 hours ago, rafael_azuaje said:

ah ok thank you very much, I thought they were AA rockets

I need know it , what this? for used?

is a rockets anti aircraft?? anti ships?? flares??

wg ADD the rocktes decoratives, please

shot-20.05.16_12.41.26-0165.jpg

js-maritiman-0860-1.jpg

[CHASE]
Modder
133 posts
4,879 battles
On 5/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, rafael_azuaje said:

I need know it , what this? for used?

is a rockets anti aircraft?? anti ships?? flares??

wg ADD the rocktes decoratives, please

Those are also flare rockets, but bigger.

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
931 posts
30,952 battles
1 hour ago, Nikoolix said:

Those are also flare rockets, but bigger.

whattt, nooo :( most flares :/