You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shrayes_Bhagavatula

World of Warships Ship Opinions: New Mexico

35 comments in this topic

Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

World of Warships Ship Opinions 14: New Mexico

Dreadnought or Dread-not?

New Mexico is in a bit of a pickle these days. I’m just here to make sure that it’s easy to understand her position in context to the rest of the competition at Tier 6, and let’s just say that it’s not really pretty at the moment. Fuso has a longer firing range, Izmail boasts better accuracy, Dunkerque and Prinz Eitel Friedrich both fire faster, Normandie can bring more firepower in a brawl, and Bayern, Mutsu, Warspite, and V.W.1941 all have the ability to overmatch 25mm armor plate. So then, where the heck is New Mexico in the middle of this whole damned situation. Well, it’s still a great ship, it’s just difficult as heck to make it work. Well then, let’s review.

Armor: Dreadnought

Pros: All or Nothing armor protects underwater citadel reliably, healthy chunk of hitpoints, improved heal and damacon.

Cons: HORRIBLY Vulnerable to HE shells and 380mm/406mm overmatch

New Mexico’s armor scheme is fairly typical of most dreadnoughts, with all of her armor compressed into a thick and chunky belt that allows her to soak up a good deal of damage from equal or lower tier Battleships. She also has an almost underwater citadel that prevents her sizable 53,200 point hitpool from getting rick-rolled by a battleship AP salvo to the face, and like most American BBs, she gets an improved repair party and damacon to help mitigate damage better under concentrated fire. That being said, most equal tier BBs with 380mm guns or larger will spank her at any angle, due to having 19 or 25mm plating everywhere but the main armor belt, which also makes her doubly weak against Heavy Cruiser HE and IFHE-specced Light Cruiser HE. I also forgot to mention that, like almost every American Battleship, she also has a 19mm Citadel roof that can easily get smashed by a BB with any gun 380mm in caliber or larger at medium range (thankfully, you don’t see these very often). Overall, New Mexico is surprisingly durable, but don’t expect to be able to tank like something such as Bayern or an Izmail.

Rating: Good

Armaments: Shotgun

Pros: 12 356mm guns in a very convenient 4 x 3 layout, Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1 gives incredible range, high AP shell velocity and damage

Cons: Laughable accuracy, reload and turret traverse.

New Mexico’s guns are somewhat ( read: very )inconsistent. Having American Battleship Dispersion and high shell speed allows for less lead and relatively consistent long range salvoes, which is only helped further thanks to her ability to mount Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1, which brings her range to around 18.7km. That being said, the guns are also prone to misbehaving at times. The 1.5 sigma rating ( that she shares with Fuso ), means that, despite the good dispersion curve, the shells tend to spray all over the place, like with German Battleships prior to 0.8.11. At least the Fuso’s reload isn’t horrible, either. New Mexico has one of the longest reload times of all BBs in the game, with a 34.2 second reload that puts her far behind even ships like the Dunkerque in terms of DPM and the ability to rapidly punish cruisers for making mistakes, and this weakness is only compounded on by a horrid turret traverse rate of 3 degrees per second. Only Arizona has a longer reload, but the Pennsylvania-Class Superdreadnought has far better accuracy to make up for it. Overall, New Mexico could be worse, but it could also be far better. That being said, using that same horrid dispersion to simultaneously Full-HP delete a Krasny Krym and an Emerald at the same time is so damn cool. 

AA: American Battleship

Pros: AA mimics that of high tier USN BBs in terms of effectiveness scaling, Durable AA mounts

Cons: Long Range AA effectiveness is questionable at best.

New Mexico’s AA defense is quite powerful, to say the least. It boasts a fairly solid AA defense all across the board, and the AA power scales up as enemy squadrons near the ship, similarly to the likes of North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana, along with incredible AA mount durability. That being said, the Long Range AA is, well, questionable. Bayern and Prinz Eitel Friedrich are the kings here, thanks to the infamous 105mm L/61 Dop. C/38 that they carry, which not only boast better durability than the Mark 19 Mod.6 guns that the New Mexico carries, but also have superior DPS and Flak power as well. To add insult to the injury, New Mexico carries 8 single mounts, while Bayern wields 6 dual mounts and P.E.F has 8 dual mounts, which equates to greater effectiveness and AA power overall. To make the point clear here, New Mexico’s AA is good for what it is, but it is far from being the best at this Tier, never mind competing with Colorado or even the ( WiP ) California.

Rating: Acceptable

Maneuverability: MOVE, YOU OVERSIZED LUNCHBOX!!!

Pros: Tight-[edited]turning circle, quick-[edited]rudder

Cons: So slow that I could walk faster than this thing

New Mexico is the slowest of the slow, and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that I can walk faster than her in a straight line. Her top speed of 21 knots is painful to work with, but then again, such a thing is fairly typical of American Standard Battleships, as they all top out at 21 knots until Tier 8, when the line speeds up to 28 knots with the North Carolina and the South Dakota Class. Her turning circle is fan-freakin-tastic, at just 640 meters she turns tighter than some of the gunship destroyers and as tight as some cruisers, which is damn right impressive on it’s own, and adding to this is a quick-[edited]11.9 second rudder shift which also means that she can do torpedo beats as well as some cruisers and destroyers. Overall, she can turn like a ballerina, which is damn high praise for something that looks like a total lunchbox and weighs the same as a mountain. But that speed… To quote Jim Carrey: “ GIVE ME A BIG. FAT. BREAK!!!”

Rating: Acceptable

Stealth: Fat, yet somehow not fat

Pros: 13.8km surface detection on something the size of Everest, tiny air detection radius

Cons: Remind me again why Bayern thinks he’s a Conqueror?

New Mexico is a huge ship, so the size of the detection radius should be equal as well, right. Eh, no. New Mexico has a base surface detection of 13.8 kilometers with camo installed, which is a damn sight more impressive than poor old Fuso. With the appropriate commander skill, NM can minimize its surface detection to 12.4 kilometers, which is also a damn sight more impressive than Fuso’s pathetic 16.5 kilometers. That being said, there’s a very particular German Battleship called Bayern that currently holds the trophy for the best minimum surface detection of all Tier 6 tech tree battleships, at 12.1 kilometers, which is even more impressive than New Mexico’s minimum detection radius. Advantages of this include being able to swing around and deal a heavy blow as fast as humanly possible, before the other guy can react appropriately, as well as disappearing quicker. If you’re in New Mexico, you aren’t disappearing quickly, but if you’re shooting at a cruiser, and they don’t see you coming, they’re gonna disappear, and not in the good way.

The Verdict ( wut? )

Armor: 4 / 5

Armaments: 4 / 5

AA: 3 / 5

Maneuverability: 3 / 5

Stealth: 4 / 5

Overall Score: 18 / 25 ( Gudbote )

General Writer Verdict: This ship definitely earns the Dreadnought moniker. To be better, she’d need to drop a good 4 seconds off her reload.

I decided to revert to the old 25 point scoring system because I found it easier to read and digest. New Mexico is fun when you are smashing things apart, but not so much when you have to relocate, but that's just my opinion. You readers can make the choice about how fun it is to play or how unfun it is.

Also, I have to apologize for being so late with this review. I was hoping to get it out last Wednesday, but then I got hit with the flu ( THE FLU, NOT CORONA ), so yeah, I’m 6 days behind schedule. Hopefully I can get the Cruiser comparo test and the follower requested Fuso review out by this weekend ( shoutout to @destawaits for this suggestion, give him a +1 )

I might even do a redux of some of my earlier reviews, who knows?

Peace!

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

Yes, I have simultaneously deleted two floating citadels before

Sadly, I don't have a clip of this, but if I did, I would have posted it. Reason being that I don't run any mods, because then my client crashes and then I have to restart my laptop and do it all over again. =(

:SerB:

[TARK]
Members
6,501 posts
2,500 battles

Its a gudboat...especially if you can work with slow speed.

Surprisingly tanky, and you can angle at will with that fast rudder...making you deadly in a brawl.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,457 battles

It's probably been over 3 years since I have played her and a lot has changed since then and I was still a bootcamp when it came to game mechanics but I managed to be 51% WR in her.

image.thumb.png.42bf1e4598a480e5ab85b09ed2e949a7.png

[CLUMP]
Members
802 posts
1,153 battles

No point on getting it then I guess I have the New York luckily for me I start it the IJN line as well but I have heard Yamato sucks though :Smile_sceptic:

• Confused 1

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

NM was my go to ship - 4 years ago.  Got Arizona and retired NM.

Nerfs/power creep have made her just a shell of her former self.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,984 posts
14,272 battles

Nice review, OP.

I didn't mind my time in the New Mex. Although the New York was one of my most pleasant grinds, losing Q turret and moving to the familiar (from Warspite) ABXY arrangement was a boon. But the reload is a PITA, as you have said... and unlike the Izmail (which has the same rate of fire and the same calibre guns in the same number of turrets), she doesn't have that magical close-range dispersion which lets you do things so dirty you have to cover the eyes of the children before you click the left mouse button. 

• Funny 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,599 posts
10,459 battles

I like the NM.  It is a bit slow, but does play surprisingly well.  I never felt outgunned in this ship.  You can't duke it out at long range.  You want to be midrange or closer to take advantage of the citadel protection.  It just takes a bit of time to get there at the slow speed you travel.

Members
3,058 posts
15,866 battles

NM was a good ship back when there were only 2-3 lines. Power creep has made her irrelevant. She sits in my port rusting.

• Cool 3

Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

I agree. The old girl ain't what she used to be. I play her occasionally, and it's enjoyable, for the most part. Guns are solid, she can tank, AA is pretty good. Overall, she's a pretty solid ship to play with.

When you don't have to move.

[F4E]
Members
279 posts
6,954 battles

I don't claim to be good at BBs...but her dispersion calls for engagements at mid-range or closer yet her slow speed means she cannot dictate the range of her engagements.

So far, I have found Bayern and Fuso to both be more enjoyable and I tend to have more success with them.

I think the community as a whole tends to overstate and overreact (i.e., boats are either AWESOME/borderline OP or they are TRASH!) but New Mex is not the sort of boat that is likely to be a player's "go to" boat at Tier 6.

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,583 posts
4,409 battles

Maybe I'll get back to playing US dreadnoughts when I buy Colorado again or when I reset the line. I don't really have any memories of playing New Mex.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,703 battles

American Standard BBs teach you Positioning...  It is mighty important because of how slow they are.  It is also a good time to get used to spotters.  Plenty of lessons to learn from them.

• Cool 1

Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles
1 minute ago, GrimmeReaper said:

American Standard BBs teach you Positioning...  It is mighty important because of how slow they are.  It is also a good time to get used to spotters.  Plenty of lessons to learn from them.

These BBs actually turned me from an absolute potato into a pretty good player. It took some time, and it wasn't as fun as say the Gneisenau, but it really teaches you things.

[NUWES]
Members
3,125 posts
10,659 battles

New Mex is solid all around in everything except speed. Even speed-wise, she isn't terrible on T6. I just wish they would update her and use Idaho's hull as the final hull. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,253 posts
25,096 battles
4 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Its a gudboat...especially if you can work with slow speed.

Surprisingly tanky, and you can angle at will with that fast rudder...making you deadly in a brawl.

Yeah, some of us old-timers are used to New Mex and similar botes, I think newer players are spoiled by the newer ships.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,551 posts
11,708 battles

I believe the NM is almost my best ship in the line.  I think I did better in the NC.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles

I didn't mind the lack of speed.  I really liked how she was tough as old leather and hit like a Mack truck. 

I enjoyed her grind and the OP's review.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,020 posts
13,269 battles
4 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

...and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that I can walk faster than her in a straight line. Her top speed of 21knots...

Of course you are.

A leisurely walking pace is about 2.5 mph. An aggressive go-getter is going to stride around the office at 3.5 mph. Vigorous exercise walking is done at around 4mph and up. A world-class mile runner laps at just over 16 mph. And Usain Bolt averages 23.36 mph over 100 meters on his best day.

And the 21 knots of the New Mex converts to 24.17 statute land miles per hour.

Members
1,042 posts
4,355 battles

I guess I was being hyperbolic. 

Whoops

Then again, I like being Hyperbolic

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts

It is hard to play the USS New Mexico when you also have the USS Arizona and USS West Virginia.  They all play similar. 

[TARK]
Members
6,501 posts
2,500 battles
19 minutes ago, db4100 said:

It is hard to play the USS New Mexico when you also have the USS Arizona and USS West Virginia.  They all play similar. 

Rich player problems...

:p

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles

Frankly, if I had to go and play a Tier 6 BB right now, the New Mex would probably be last on my list. 

Fuso is a better shotgun. Arizona, Normandie and Izmail are just superior imo (just speaking for 12 gun BBs). 

[TARK]
Members
6,501 posts
2,500 battles
2 minutes ago, SovereignEagle said:

Frankly, if I had to go and play a Tier 6 BB right now, the New Mex would probably be last on my list. 

Fuso is a better shotgun. Arizona, Normandie and Izmail are just superior imo (just speaking for 12 gun BBs). 

Fuso is a glass cannon.

Arizona is premium.

Izmail and Normandie have awkward turret arrangements.

New Mexico is tough.

You could make arguments for any of them to be the 'best'.