You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

PSA: WoWS stand-alone launcher will be phased out May 20

94 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

From here:

Starting from May 20, we’ll no longer support the Launcher due to technical reasons. This means that the Launcher will no longer be available for download for those who might be inclined to log in to the game that way. All players currently using the Launcher will automatically be moved to the WGC.

I know WGC was controversial when it was first released. Is this still the case now?

Personally, I still use the stand-alone WoWS launcher. I knew this day was coming though, it was hinted at in at least a patch note.

Thoughts on the transition?

Good luck, and hope the transition will work out well for us players.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/wgc-update-196/

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

Welp, guess I get to play the game until May.

I will never, under any circumstances, allow WGC to be installed on my computer.

(BTW, your title says that WGC will be phased out...)

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Welp, guess I get to play the game until May.

I will never, under any circumstances, allow WGC to be installed on my computer.

(BTW, your title says that WGC will be phased out...)

Oops, thanks for noticing and I will correct. My title is incorrect. WoWS stand-alone is phased out, not WGC.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
10 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

From here:

I know WGC was controversial when it was first released. Is this still the case now?

Personally, I still use the stand-alone WoWS launcher. I knew this day was coming though, it was hinted at in at least a patch note.

if this is the case. they will permenantly lose two players. My internet connection will not allow me to download the WGC.

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
196 posts
6,119 battles

The hatred for the WGC is undeserved and quite baffling. I have used it since it was first released.

There is no incentive to develop and support two launching systems and one that is antiquated.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 3

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
245 posts
8,202 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

that defaults to run on Windows start

That can be disabled

always-on background [edited]

can be closed after WoWs loads up

background pre-downloads

That can be disabled

I have had no issues using WGC like the stand along launcher for a long time.

• Cool 6

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,999 battles

[hidden]

If only they had included some way to prevent that...

MrdvvAM.jpg

Alas...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
3 minutes ago, Drago25x said:

That can be disabled

can be closed after WoWs loads up

That can be disabled

I have had no issues using WGC like the stand along launcher for a long time.

It should be off by default, there's no reason for any of that to happen until you go through and disable it all.

And it still forces torrents (have not found any instructions on disabling that), still tries to datamine your computer for everything you have installed or running, etc, and still generally behaves like malware.

1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

If only they had included some way to prevent that...

Where are the options during install to keep it from doing all those things in the first place?  Why does it even default to do those things in the first place?  

Where's the setting to keep it from datamining? 

Where's the setting to turn off torrents? 

It's bad enough that I have to go in and delete the damn "error reporter" every time I update now, and double-check the workaround to disable torrents to make sure the update didn't reverse it to default (which is to allow torrents). 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
516 posts
5,029 battles

[hidden]

So, in essence, it is like pretty much ANY software that you install on a PC nowadays. All of the things you call out are configurable. Yes, having them on as default is a pain, like say, HP printer software trying to sell me ink cartridges. I've been around long enough to understand some of your concern, but some Microsoft programs irk me much more than the game center.

• Cool 1

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
32 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

From here:

So if I downloaded World of Warships off of Microsoft store, I will no longer be able to play it?

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

The question I have is, will there be any good news coming from WG about this game? It's just been nothing but garbage lately. The new Pan EU DDs aren't really that great, they're getting rid of the old launcher, Operations credit/exp income is being nerfed, more power creep with new Russian cruisers, and then of course we have subs coming. BL3 is looking really, really good about now.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
3 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

So, in essence, it is like pretty much ANY software that you install on a PC nowadays. All of the things you call out are configurable. Yes, having them on as default is a pain, like say, HP printer software trying to sell me ink cartridges. I've been around long enough to understand some of your concern, but some Microsoft programs irk me much more than the game center.

There is a lot of other software I avoid like the plague for same and similar reasons to what I'm listing here.  I refuse to relinquish control over MY computer to anyone else, whether it's some hacker in Russia or some sack of crap in Redmond. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
516 posts
5,029 battles
2 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

The question I have is, will there be any good news coming from WG about this game? It's just been nothing but garbage lately. The new Pan EU DDs aren't really that great, they're getting rid of the old launcher, Operations credit/exp income is being nerfed, more power creep with new Russian cruisers, and then of course we have subs coming. BL3 is looking really, really good about now.

Been playing some Borderlands 3 of late. Really waiting for Cyberpunk 2077. Wouldn't be at all surprised if my WoWS time dropped off quite a bit.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

I have had WGC for quite a while, so far no issues.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
11 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Any good news in this game has been minor or transitory.  Yeah, it's nice that the ARP ships are actual premiums now, and the occasional giveaways are nice (Steel flakes, some premium time, etc).  But even some of the nice aspects of the game have been getting stingier. 

Overall, from the CV rebork, to NTC and its shabbily-disguised reincarnation has the Regrind Bureau, to quote-unquote "submarines", to cartoonish events that distract from the core game (Rusty Waves, Halloweird, etc), to random event construction, to the Dockyard Debacle, to the recent HE pen / armor thickness mangle putting the squeeze on a number of mid-tier and tech-tree ships, to the announcement in this thread...  it's just going from bad news to bad news.

It's like WG is determined to destroy their games one at a time.

3 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I have had WGC for quite a while, so far no issues.

Yeah, it works "great" if you don't care about privacy, security, system load, or retaining control over your own computer.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[GOB]
Members
2,060 posts
33 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

WGC is useless clunky bloatware with invasive datamining and forced torrents, that defaults to run on Windows start, always-on background bullcrap, background pre-downloads, etc. 

Not sure what you mean. It has Opt out settings for most of what you are talking about and anyone who can run this game should know enough how to block anything else they want with their firewalls and start up options.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
1 minute ago, Col_Nasty said:

Not sure what you mean. It has Opt out settings for most of what you are talking about and anyone who can run this game should know enough how to block anything else they want with their firewalls and start up options.

WOWS is no longer worth the effort it would take to sandbox WGC, and that's what it would take for me to allow it on any of my computers.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles
15 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Where are the options during install to keep it from doing all those things in the first place?  Why does it even default to do those things in the first place?  

Where's the setting to keep it from datamining? 

Where's the setting to turn off torrents? 

It's bad enough that I have to go in and delete the damn "error reporter" every time I update now, and double-check the workaround to disable torrents to make sure the update didn't reverse it to default (which is to allow torrents).

You can set it so it doesn't open on start up, you can also set it so when you shut it down, it shuts down and doesn't run in the tray.  Killjoy I only use it to get the updates and I put a short cut to the EXE file on my desktop to launch the game. It never opens then.

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

last I tested it, in early Feb.

forcibly installs on the C: drive, with no seeming option to install on other drive in its entirety.

incapable of having the NA and EU WoWs clients launchable within a single copy of WGC despite claims it can.

brakes the function of the classic launcher if you point WGC to an already installed copy of WoWs - talk about feckless logic and pointless braking of things.

doesn't really give any more WoWs specific news than the classic launcher (given I ONLY EVER use a launcher when there is a patch, the rest of the time I directly run the WorldOfWarships64.exe without the need for a launcher)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You can set it so it doesn't open on start up, you can also set it so when you shut it down, it shuts down and doesn't run in the tray.  Killjoy I only use it to get the updates and I put a short cut to the EXE file on my desktop to launch the game. It never opens then.

How do you keep it from scanning your PC for installed software and hardware, and phoning home with that data, when it runs?

How do you disable torrents? 

Where you able to keep it from doing all those other things during the install itself, or did you have to change setting to get it to stop?

2 minutes ago, b101uk said:

last I tested it, in early Feb.

forcibly installs on the C: drive, with no seeming option to install on other drive in its entirety.

incapable of having the NA and EU WoWs clients launchable within a single copy of WGC despite claims it can.

brakes the function of the classic launcher if you point WGC to an already installed copy of WoWs - talk about feckless logic and pointless braking of things.

doesn't really give any more WoWs specific news than the classic launcher (given I ONLY EVER use a launcher when there is a patch, the rest of the time I directly run the WorldOfWarships64.exe without the need for a launcher)

Exactly.

And yeah, I always run direct from the executable already.  Given this nonsense with forced WGC, however, don't be surprised if they take that away.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

WOWS is no longer worth the effort it would take to sandbox WGC, and that's what it would take for me to allow it on any of my computers.

13 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There is a lot of other software I avoid like the plague for same and similar reasons to what I'm listing here.  I refuse to relinquish control over MY computer to anyone else, whether it's some hacker in Russia or some sack of crap in Redmond. 

38 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

WGC is useless clunky bloatware with invasive datamining and forced torrents, that defaults to run on Windows start, always-on background bullcrap, background pre-downloads, etc. 

38 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'm with @KilljoyCutteron this one. WGC set off my anti-virus software which is super suspicious. I've ran Steam and other game clients on my computer before, but none of them has set off my anti-virus software so I was like "nope, nope, nope" when WGC did.

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

How do you keep it from scanning your PC for installed software and hardware, and phoning home with that data, when it runs?

How do you disable torrents? 

Where you able to keep it from doing all those other things during the install itself, or did you have to change setting to get it to stop?

I suppose if I had something to hide I would worry about it, I don't use this computer for sensitive purposes. If they spy on me they will get bored soon, nothing to see here folks.

• Boring 3

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

From here:

Great. So I got until May to play this game. I wonder how many players WG will lose.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles
4 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Great. So I got until May to play this game. I wonder how many players WG will lose.

Looks like around 2 or 3 on NA, from what I am seeing.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1