You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
zakkmylde

Scoring in Ranked Battles

10 comments in this topic

[KOFTT]
Members
106 posts
10,995 battles

Can someone explain to me how the scoring works in ranked battles?  How does 145k damage, 2 ships destroyed, and 2 devastating strike achievements end up being ranked lower than 1 ship destroyed and no achievements?  Not sure what more I need to do to save my star.

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Edited by zakkmylde
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,262 battles

Kremy farmed a bunch of ships and did more damage, most likely.

Only three ships dead. If you devstruck two; then the Kremy spent more time farming damage than killing ships.

That, or Russian bias.

[KOFTT]
Members
106 posts
10,995 battles

This similar scenario has happened to me multiple times during the current season.  I think it's just really difficult to save a star as a DD giving the current scoring methods.  Also had one yesterday that was 168k damage, 3 ships destroyed, and finished 2nd in that one as well.  I understand that someone could be farming more damage, but it should be relative to that ship's HP.  I'm doing 7x or 8x my ship's HP in damage.  Just makes me sick to my stomach...

[TF-O7]
[TF-O7]
Members
9 posts
18,635 battles

I've noticed when playing ranked, random, co-op or even ops. The more ships you do damage or do damage to higher tier ship give you more xp than kills alone. Players get tunnel vision and only focus on one or two ships. Remember all around damage to your enemy gives you more xp or kills for bxp.

[PVE]
Members
6,181 posts
22,432 battles
26 minutes ago, zakkmylde said:

This similar scenario has happened to me multiple times during the current season.  I think it's just really difficult to save a star as a DD giving the current scoring methods.  Also had one yesterday that was 168k damage, 3 ships destroyed, and finished 2nd in that one as well.  I understand that someone could be farming more damage, but it should be relative to that ship's HP.  I'm doing 7x or 8x my ship's HP in damage.  Just makes me sick to my stomach...

It shouldn't be relevant to HP...the Krem (or any BB or even cruiser) is much more visible & has to tank damage all game while you're scooting around w/only being detected long enough to need to fire guns for 5 hits.

He needed to work a lot harder than you for his damage totals...torps are hard to hit with but they do massive damage/torp as opposed to as many shells as he needed to fire to farm his damage.

Not having a replay we can't even tell if he got any of the buffs as they give XP also...along w/defended ribbons if he was resetting the cap if the reds had control over it w/out any of you inside it or if he was in the cap defending it while you were stealth torping from outside it.

Not enough data to know for sure but in a battle w/heal buffs him getting massive damage w/out getting kills is quite believable as they can heal a bunch back up just while he is reloading...especially if he has to change targets often while maneuvering to dodge their Shima's walls of skill.

BTW...achievements don't give any extra XP...the only reward for them are the signals once/day...except for dev strikes that don't even give you signals.

Unfortunately the most telling aspect of that screenshot is the only 3 spotted ribbons in a Shima...seems like you were off to 1 side torp spamming Kurfursts instead of spotting for your team...something that would have been much more viable w/a Khaba as the only other DD on your team.

20 minutes ago, Snoopy_Alaskan said:

I've noticed when playing ranked, random, co-op or even ops. The more ships you do damage or do damage to higher tier ship give you more xp than kills alone. Players get tunnel vision and only focus on one or two ships. Remember all around damage to your enemy gives you more xp or kills for bxp.

There's no higher tier ships in ranked.

Kill shots give you 15% of the target ships XP (even if it is the last 1 point...not to mention taking a ship off the board) so focusing on a ship is better than spreading out damage amongst many ideally...especially in a battle w/heal buffs to all ships as spread out damage is much easier to heal up than focussed damage.

Members
1,361 posts
1,286 battles
36 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

He needed to work a lot harder than you for his damage totals...torps are hard to hit with but they do massive damage/torp as opposed to as many shells as he needed to fire to farm his damage.

Kill shots give you 15% of the target ships XP (even if it is the last 1 point...not to mention taking a ship off the board) so focusing on a ship is better than spreading out damage amongst many ideally...especially in a battle w/heal buffs to all ships as spread out damage is much easier to heal up than focussed damage.

I play all ship types and this is not true at all. It doesn't take much effort as a BB to pull a high damage game, especially in comparison to a torp DD.

Hitting multiple targets gets you medals like Confederate and High Caliber. Spreading the damage around does yield more XP than shooting the same guy all match.

[PVE]
Members
6,181 posts
22,432 battles
57 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I play all ship types and this is not true at all. It doesn't take much effort as a BB to pull a high damage game, especially in comparison to a torp DD.

Hitting multiple targets gets you medals like Confederate and High Caliber. Spreading the damage around does yield more XP than shooting the same guy all match.

I didn't say shoot the same guy all match...I said keep concentrating the same guy until he is dead (which shouldn't take all match unless he...or him & his teammates focusing...kills you 1st) instead of letting him sail off & heal up while you shoot another guy who will heal up as you shoot another guy...etc.

Killing ships wins matches...farming many ships in a meta where everybody has a constant heal buff running just saves a star...unless (as in the OPs case) somebody else farms more of them for the same loss but the saved star instead.

Granted...BBs do have the ability to cause more damage faster than torp DDs but they surely need to tank a lot more damage in the process than the DD that stays undetected throughout most of the match...& unless the DMs both yoloed forward to radar the reds at the beginning a Shima should have had more than just 3 spotting ribbons in a match long enough to get 10 torp hits & kill 2 hydro equipped Kurfursts (assuming the BB got the Henri...could be wrong but guessing I'm probably not). <---- Upon 2nd thought I probably am wrong about that...2 dev strikes on 2 Kurfs would require more than 5 torps each...probably...& OP only got 10 torp hits so he probably got the Henri & 1 Kurf... probably...anyway...

Those achievements don't get you any extra XP & getting kill shots does yield bonus XP so spreading the damage around (even though it might get you a shiny medal if you do it enough) doesn't guarantee more XP than focusing on less ships for the same damage & getting the kills shots on some of them (which is more likely if you do focus each ship until it's dead).

High Caliber is a sign of a good damage game (30% of all the enemy teams HP...before healings are calculated anyway) but a Confederate only requires doing 60% of a single ships worth of HP spread out between 6 ships (10% of 6 ships only equals 60% of 1 ship) & in & of itself if the lowest possible threshold for it is all that you do isn't all that big of a deal...unless the shiny thing is your only goal.

Odd that the Kremy didn't get High Caliber if OP got 145k damage w/only 7 ships. Maybe he capped the center right before the remaining reds circled him & killed him.

Members
1,361 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

High Caliber is a sign of a good damage game (30% of all the enemy teams HP...before healings are calculated anyway) but a Confederate only requires doing 60% of a single ships worth of HP spread out between 6 ships (10% of 6 ships only equals 60% of 1 ship) & in & of itself if the lowest possible threshold for it is all that you do isn't all that big of a deal...unless the shiny thing is your only goal

It's 20% not 10%, and I score HC a lot  more frequently than Confed.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

The XP could easily be explained.  It could be as simple as what ships were damaged.  It is the percentage of damage done to ships, not total damage done.  One ship doing 75% damage to 2 ships for the kill (15% equivalent damage) on each could get you approximately 150K damage and 180% worth of XP (75% + 75% + 15% + 15%).  Another ship could damage 4 smaller ships for 50% each and have 1 kill for a total of 100K damage and 210 % worth of damage (50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 15%).  The 210% worth of damage scores more XP than 180% worth of damage even though the 180% is actually more physical damage done in the game.

The above may not be what happened, but it illustrates how it could easily have altered the XP outcome.  BBs can easily damage cruisers, which is why BBs can rack up big XP numbers in ranked, even if they don't get the kill on the cruiser.  They can get big numbers on BBs too, but it takes longer, so the % damage done to them can be lower on fast games that end up in losses.

[KOFTT]
Members
106 posts
10,995 battles
12 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Granted...BBs do have the ability to cause more damage faster than torp DDs but they surely need to tank a lot more damage in the process than the DD that stays undetected throughout most of the match...& unless the DMs both yoloed forward to radar the reds at the beginning a Shima should have had more than just 3 spotting ribbons in a match long enough to get 10 torp hits & kill 2 hydro equipped Kurfursts (assuming the BB got the Henri...could be wrong but guessing I'm probably not). <---- Upon 2nd thought I probably am wrong about that...2 dev strikes on 2 Kurfs would require more than 5 torps each...probably...& OP only got 10 torp hits so he probably got the Henri & 1 Kurf... probably...anyway...

Yes, I agree the Kremlin has to tank more damage.  It also has 5x the HP of a shima and much better armor.  Shimakaze survives by never being seen.  It's not going to outgun anything and it's armor is pretty terrible, and if it does get spotted it doesn't last for very long.  That's the way the ship plays; I'm not sure why you're expecting something different.

Their DM sat in the middle of the cap the whole match and used radar whenever I got close to middle.  As to the spotting ribbons, there are 7 ships in ranked, which means I spotted almost half of them, so I'm not sure what your point is here.  Also, I took out both of the BBs, both of which have 6km hydro by the way and aren't the easiest to torp.  Henri must have been the Kremlin's kill.

Ultimately, I'm over it now and the season is over anyway.  Just wanted to clarify.