Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Anyone else think the Smaland guns are not great?

16 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,765 posts

To the left is the Friesland guns and to the right is the Smaland guns. At first glance they look almost the same. Friesland guns do have more range and more dispersion but its a very small difference. If you were like me you had the Friesland and thought holy smokes a Friesland with torpedoes. The one small difference in here the shells in use. They have slightly different names.

So why is it the Smaland guns have shells split out into a V ship from the same turret but the Friesland has tight groupings instead?

image.thumb.png.d30bd7731d58128223fc2c11bc8cc7a0.pngimage.thumb.png.241eb33a18074fd94b46a4b34c97f7af.png

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,068 battles

i am pretty sure the Smaland shell are a lower trajectory then the friesland shells plus she has torps.

[PVE]
Members
6,154 posts
22,432 battles

It's for balance...if the tech tree version has equivalent guns & torps why would anybody want the nerfed premium?

[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,436 battles
On 3/24/2020 at 3:31 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It's for balance...if the tech tree version has equivalent guns & torps why would anybody want the nerfed premium?

They're both premiums. But yay for trying so hard to prove WG conspiracy theories that you ignore facts and highlight your ignorance. 

• Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,447 battles
4 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

They're both premiums. But yay for trying so hard to prove WG conspiracy theories that you ignore facts and highlight your ignorance. 

Corona rubbing you the wrong way?  Lighten up.:dance_turtle:

• Boring 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Smaland, just like pretty much all of the Pan-euro DDs (Friesland included) are essentially slated 1-2 tiers ABOVE their effective level.

Smaland with its current attributes should be slated at tier 8-9, with Friesland at Tier 8. So on and so forth.

10k damage torps at top tiers? What a joke. It doesn't matter how fast they are. This would ONLY be okay if the flooding nerf was reverted / TDS was removed from the game completely.

Even the guns are a joke as well. 2x2 setup split completely between both ends of the ship, cannot even fire the fore turret straight ahead (this is lol), poor turret traverse speed, extremely poor ballistics, so on and so forth.

No smoke? The line doesn't have the benefit of being able to speed tank... nor is it heavily armored. Again, another spit in the face considering WG is actually testing BBs WITH smoke.

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,447 battles
2 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

Even the guns are a joke as well. 2x2 setup split completely between both ends of the ship, cannot even fire the fore turret straight ahead (this is lol), poor turret traverse speed, extremely poor ballistics, so on and so forth.

The turret traverse does seem an inappropriate balancing mechanism for this line.  The mid tier Russian DDs has that as their balancing gimmick (which WG later went back on:cap_yes: )

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
34 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

The turret traverse does seem an inappropriate balancing mechanism for this line.  The mid tier Russian DDs has that as their balancing gimmick (which WG later went back on:cap_yes: )

The line would require quite a bit more than buffing turret traverse to make them competitive for their slotted tier. With such a restricted 2x2 setup, and poor ballistics, I would suggest almost doubling the turret traverse speed and inflating the fire chance numbers. Other than that, increasing flood chance on the torpedoes would be a good final measure. With all 3 of those changes the line could have a distinctive and competitive role as being an extra high risk (No smoke, No speed tanking capability), DoT oriented DD.

Edited by Varknyn12

[WOLFX]
Members
55 posts
3,730 battles

For a open-water hybrid torpedo boat with no smoke? Not great but not bad. Higher velocity would make them more comfortable.

For a ship that sits in smoke that lasts for 2 minutes? They're god tier.

That's the difference between tech tree/Smalland and Friesland: they have two different playstyles in which one is more of a open-water hybrid torpedo boat with really good AA and radar, and the other is a smoke-n'-spam AA light cruiser without a citadel.

It's way easier to punish a Smalland because it doesn't have smoke. And yes, I don't like the Friesland if you couldn't infer, but I totally understand If someone likes it, I just don't like fighting against one, as it's really hard to punish it effectively If you don't have a radar cruiser.

But yeah, to answer your question summarized: Smalland has far more risk behind shooting it's guns as it can't smoke up, where a Friesland can happily sit in smoke and use it's amazing RoF to it's fullest without a risk, as it also has hydro, and has cruiser level of AA, and a DD at the end of the day. that's probably what your experiencing: one is easier to play, while the other requires a bit more skill to use.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,154 posts
22,432 battles
On 3/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, poeticmotion said:

At least I have an excuse for my ignorance...I've been out of the loop due to inability to play lately...what excuse do you have for retarded comments about WG having conspiracy theories?

Even if they stated somewhere that players ignore facts...dose that really qualify as a conspiracy theory???

Might wanna check the dosages on those meds dude.

[NKOTD]
Members
1,049 posts
9,772 battles

I play Friesland a lot.  I have zero problem with traverse....seems fast enough for me.

To be better the ship needs two things.  Better concealment and better ballistics.  Both seem arbitrarily nerfed a bit to me.  The shell initial velocity is close to French DD ammo but nearly as bad as USN ballistics.  I heard that the concealment was better in testing (and a ship like Harugumo being better or Kitakaze being half km better seems off) and they should have left it.

To be good Friesland depends a lot on teammates. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,902 battles
11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

At least I have an excuse for my ignorance...I've been out of the loop due to inability to play lately...what excuse do you have for retarded comments about WG having conspiracy theories?

Even if they stated somewhere that players ignore facts...dose that really qualify as a conspiracy theory???

Might wanna check the dosages on those meds dude.

They're two different tiers … of course there's going to be a difference besides the playstyles/roles and in this case guns

Normally, T9 would be different in character if not inferior in performance to the T10 ... is the Friesland OP - probably :)

The Smaland needs to be compared to the Halland to decide how nerfed it really is … maybe the entire line is nerfed :)

On 3/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, poeticmotion said:

Doesn't take a conspiracy theory to see the obvious my friend … 

Take off your shill hat and stop being so defensive :)

Now for MY conspiracy theory: 

When are they going to make those depth charge launchers ACTIVE? :)

Bring on the Subs!

Edited by Commander_367

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
17 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Gun angles favor Friesland as well. She has 360-degree turret rotation on both mounts.

Im also fairly certain that top tier pan euro DDs are some of the ONLY ships in the game that have dead zones in the firing angles. If you aim straight ahead on these DDs, you cannot fire which is a joke in of itself.

Friesland is equal to a tier 8, because most tier 8 DDs in the game are more competitive.. BUT... you couldn't say tier 7s are.  Smaland and Halland are most certainly tier 9.

[PVE]
Members
6,154 posts
22,432 battles
23 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

Im also fairly certain that top tier pan euro DDs are some of the ONLY ships in the game that have dead zones in the firing angles. If you aim straight ahead on these DDs, you cannot fire which is a joke in of itself.

Friesland is equal to a tier 8, because most tier 8 DDs in the game are more competitive.. BUT... you couldn't say tier 7s are.  Smaland and Halland are most certainly tier 9.

The front turrets on the PA ones fire straight ahead but the center ones get blocked by the superstructure sometimes...kinda annoying in a knife fight sometimes but typical of center turrets in ships like the Izuma that have 360 degree rotation...just less noticeable in those ships because of the slower reload & more time to bring them around before they are ready to fire again.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The front turrets on the PA ones fire straight ahead but the center ones get blocked by the superstructure sometimes...kinda annoying in a knife fight sometimes but typical of center turrets in ships like the Izuma that have 360 degree rotation...just less noticeable in those ships because of the slower reload & more time to bring them around before they are ready to fire again.

On the Smaland and Halland... the front turret is unable to fire straight ahead for no apparent logical reason. The barrels of the front turrets clearly extend and offer acceptable firing solutions over the ASW rockets. 
The cute bait n switch is also the ASMs on Smaland which magically disappear on when you enter a battle. Fairly certain many people spending 2mil FXP are purchasing the ship advertised, cosmetic and all. I don't see the Helo pads disappear from the likes of Bourgogne or Colbert when you enter the battle? What about the car on deck? etc.

Sign in to follow this