Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kishan99

Should shooting the range finder on ships reduce the range at what you see?

8 comments in this topic

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I just watched the Detectability 2.0 video (very well done and informative) and learnt about the range finder located on the highest point on ships.

I was wondering if it would interest the community by making this a module, and after certain amount of damage, it would become temporarily disabled and your range would work like a cyclone severely affecting your range for 30 seconds.   It would have to have a lot of health due to HE spammers.   Couldn't be permanently disabled.

Edited by kishan99
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
30 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

I just watched the Detectability 2.0 video (very well done and informative) and learnt about the range finder located on the highest point on ships.

I was wondering if it would interest the community by making this a module, and after certain amount of damage, it would become temporarily disabled and your range would work like a cyclone severely affecting your range for 30 seconds.   It would have to have a lot of health due to HE spammers.   Couldn't be permanently disabled.

Unfortunately you can't shoot radar either.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

So, nerf everything but carriers?

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
55 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

This is an arcade game where radar goes through islands, torpedoes can be launched multiple times, and battleships bow-on reverse instead of broadsides. 

Your suggestion won't work as the command tower isn;t even considered a vital area of a ship in the armor viewer.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Unfortunately you can't shoot radar either.

i wish

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
55 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

oh and we revert to pre- carrier rework

41 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Your suggestion won't work as the command tower isn;t even considered a vital area of a ship in the armor viewer.

but like... program it to do so

[PVE]
Members
6,169 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, kishan99 said:

I +1ed the idea (& I won't remove the +1 because it was an interesting idea)...until I read this reply:

1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

It would give a major advantage to CVs as their planes would keep allowing them to see even if their range finders were disabled.

41 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

oh and we revert to pre- carrier rework

unfortunately wouldn't change the advantage...actually it would just give the CVs more squadrons to see with (which unfortunately is why subs were impractical & due to the subs being introduced CVs being limited to just 1 squadron & a fighter consumable at a time is here to stay).

[KENT]
Members
4 posts
6,623 battles

That would be a massive, and I mean massive, indirect buff to HE spammers. When reading about naval battles, it's common to read that "(ship) had its fire control radar disabled, limiting its accuracy." HE spammers would make mincemeat of those in the same way they wreck AA mounts. Also, AA guns had directors as well. Imagine if late in the battle your AA is ineffective not just because the Smolensk and Worcester on the enemy team have destroyed half the mounts, but also destroyed the directors, making what remains shoot all over the place? Sure, it's realistic. That's what happened to Yamato during Operation Ten-Go. But it would be an aggravating mechanic and one that the game really doesn't need.

Sign in to follow this