You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Boomer625

Aircraft Carrier Tech Tree Switch?

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
350 posts
1,019 battles

So after about two yeas of inactivity, I log on to check out the new CV rework and find that in place of by Independance CV I have a Ranger CV. I also somehow got some of premuim time and the T7 BB sharhorst (i know bad spelling) 

What happened?

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,754 battles

many, many stupid and wonderful things?:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
3,106 posts
25,884 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

many, many stupid and wonderful things?:Smile_hiding:

Good answer    hehehehehehehe

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles

Some genius (and that is meant to be very, VERY heavy on the sarcasm) thought it would be a great idea to have evens only because the XP changes would make progression easier and make them easier to balance, as well as be better for MM and all.

So a year later they are as broken, if not more so, than RTS carriers, in fact non-CV players in cases have actually ASKED to have RTS back. The XP changes were a lie - they only removed the B hull and upgraded planes of the odd tiers - you still have to get the XP you would normally need to go from say tier 4-5 and 5 to 6 - but only on a tier 4 CV. Which between AA being too strong in high tiers/+2 matches for 6 and 8 CV's, and negligible at tier 4 or when against same/lower tier, has added to the insane numbers at tier 4 resulting in 3 CV's per team at tier 4 if not constant 2 CV's because either people are hiding from high tier AA, seal clubbing, or trapped in tier 4 because they don't want to spend free xp. Which is a blight upon the game, more so than later day RTS once manual attacks where removed from those tiers (which basically now all attacks are manual attacks and you can practically ignore long range AA on many low-mid tier ships if they even have it).

Basically - the rework is a pox upon both our houses (CV players and non). DD's are hunted even more savagely by CV's that can just wipe them out with a single 3 strike group in skilled hands, many already good AA ships got some insane buffs, except Atlanta that has actually been overnerfed, basically take a complaint either side had about RTS and it's been intensified 300%.

[RLGN]
Members
14,241 posts
25,057 battles
42 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Some genius (and that is meant to be very, VERY heavy on the sarcasm)... (snip)

Some genius thought it would be a great idea to reinvent the wheel, (square wheeel is good!) convinced everyone else that the idea would be loved by one and all, (despite the warnings otherwise by many of the beta testers, back in December 2018,) and when it all blew up in their face, had no idea what to do to fix it.

[WOLF1]
Members
350 posts
1,019 battles

Darn.....I loved my independence and her history. After the USS Enterprise (CV6), she was one of the first night carriers, able to strike at targets  in the Pacific 24/7.

Ranger was an Atlantic fleet carrier, tasked with anti submarine I believe 

Edited by Boomer625

[LOIN]
Supertester
809 posts
On 3/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Boomer625 said:

Darn.....I loved my independence and her history. After the USS Enterprise (CV6), she was one of the first night carriers, able to strike at targets  in the Pacific 24/7.

Ranger was an Atlantic fleet carrier, tasked with anti submarine I believe 

Ranger participated in Operations Torch and Leader. Operation Torch, Allied invasion of North Africa; and, operation Leader. A joint operation involving Britain and some pilots from the Free Norway air force attached to an RAF squadron, they helped lead the attack. The operation was an aerial assault against German shipping in Norway. The  allied force compromised of 1 carrier (which was Ranger, herself) HMS Duke of York, Anson, Belfast, USS Tuscaloosa (New Orleans class), and 13 destroyers (7 from Britain and 4 from the U.S). Admiral Fraiser (RN) led the attack. 

There was also a funny incident involving Ranger, Germany said they sank it. (Which is obviously, wrong)

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,495 posts
3,423 battles
On 3/23/2020 at 9:55 PM, WanderingGhost said:

Some genius (and that is meant to be very, VERY heavy on the sarcasm) thought it would be a great idea to have evens only because the XP changes would make progression easier and make them easier to balance, as well as be better for MM and all.

So a year later they are as broken, if not more so, than RTS carriers, in fact non-CV players in cases have actually ASKED to have RTS back. The XP changes were a lie - they only removed the B hull and upgraded planes of the odd tiers - you still have to get the XP you would normally need to go from say tier 4-5 and 5 to 6 - but only on a tier 4 CV. Which between AA being too strong in high tiers/+2 matches for 6 and 8 CV's, and negligible at tier 4 or when against same/lower tier, has added to the insane numbers at tier 4 resulting in 3 CV's per team at tier 4 if not constant 2 CV's because either people are hiding from high tier AA, seal clubbing, or trapped in tier 4 because they don't want to spend free xp. Which is a blight upon the game, more so than later day RTS once manual attacks where removed from those tiers (which basically now all attacks are manual attacks and you can practically ignore long range AA on many low-mid tier ships if they even have it).

Basically - the rework is a pox upon both our houses (CV players and non). DD's are hunted even more savagely by CV's that can just wipe them out with a single 3 strike group in skilled hands, many already good AA ships got some insane buffs, except Atlanta that has actually been overnerfed, basically take a complaint either side had about RTS and it's been intensified 300%.

you think they will revert back to RTS one day? personally the only thing good that came out of rework was unlimited planes. other than that you could do so MUCH MORE in RTS than you ever could with rework. if it were up to me the plan would simply be to revert back to RTS with the incorporation of the unlimited planes mechanic from rework (the reason is to give potato/new people some "elbow room" to try out different strats as well as make the carrier more forgiving and useful). restrict strafe to only be able to attack ship's AA gun emplacements and finally have the damage values for bombs and torpedoes somewhere between RTS and Rework values.

Note:

RTS damage = Awesomely OP

Rework damage = Weaksauce pathetic weak

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles
8 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

you think they will revert back to RTS one day? personally the only thing good that came out of rework was unlimited planes. other than that you could do so MUCH MORE in RTS than you ever could with rework. if it were up to me the plan would simply be to revert back to RTS with the incorporation of the unlimited planes mechanic from rework (the reason is to give potato/new people some "elbow room" to try out different strats as well as make the carrier more forgiving and useful). restrict strafe to only be able to attack ship's AA gun emplacements and finally have the damage values for bombs and torpedoes somewhere between RTS and Rework values.

Note:

RTS damage = Awesomely OP

Rework damage = Weaksauce pathetic weak

Them reverting to RTS is one of those 'If wishes were horses' deals - I'd want it but doubtful they will despite every attempt to get the rework waved off. 

Simply put - strafe and manual attacks would either both have to go, or strafe would need to go back to what it originally was (AoE debuff to group accuracy, maybe downs a couple planes) and namely torpedo damage heavily reduced - possibly to the numbers we have now or lower (because they are still incredibly effective and not all of them were nerfed - Hakuryu's in fact have slightly more max damage than RTS). AA sectors stay as a replacement for manual AA and maybe keep the slightly less RNG AA system, just need to figure out flak (The one RNG component as Flak was not nearly as accurate as they have it - depending on ship and all 5-25% chance every x seconds of y/y% damage), and yeah, plane regen.

But the biggest issue is the same RTS had - AA power, with second again being ordnance and usability. Believe it or not - damage of rework CV's actually isn't weak. You can't insta-blap the way you could with 3x4 TB's and a pair of DB groups but these CV's have the potential to rack up RTS levels of damage. Where they become an issue is that in say a t10 blowout as an 8 CV - reds get steamrolled too fast and some of those ships your lucky if 3 planes come back and get off 1 let alone 2 attacks from a group. Meanwhile some of the tier 6's are free damage to that same tier 8. They need to balance AA right - it shouldn't be no or total losses based on MM, they need to lower damage on RP-3, HVAR, and FFAR rockets because the high volume with damage and accuracy is too devastating namely to DD's, and then undo the mobility/aim time changes from a year and a half ago allowing for better use of rockets on BB's and cruisers (who have enough flak to make a CV dodge and throw aim off unlike most DD's), Bombs need to be better in terms of going where aimed, how to use AP bomb properly needs to be clearer albeit we need to overhaul what nation has what used how in my opinion - which would mean IJN having level bombing AP bombs off whatever that tiers TB is. Torpedoes groups need to be a hybrid of this and RTS - IJN should have the 3-4 heavier torps more spread out while USN has more lighter ones packed together meant for smaller targets. 

If I said I liked the rework - I'd be lying, I loathe it. I feel it takes even less skill and know how and overly punishes CV players and DD players at the moment. They put a poll up about going back to RTS I'd make as many accounts as possible to vote yes. But I think the rework has more than one concept that are good - but that most/all ave been poorly executed. If Wargaming would actually listen to those of us that play CV's and are more objective because we play other classes, and stop listening to people who don't even play them on what issues are and assuming that the numbers on he spreadsheet mean what they think - the rework could be tolerable. Bring back some elements of RTS lke lines/ships being better at attacking a particular type, having say better TB's or DB's and that being a focus - like say instead of heal on TB's USN had it on DB's, groups breaking out more like the RTS ones of old but attack one at a time not all at once from 4 angles, etc.