You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Thought I Liked The Visby I Was Wrong

28 comments in this topic

[UNHLY]
Members
3,257 posts
25,343 battles

After a slow start I was really getting into the ship but now after playing more games its frustrating to play the dam ship, torpedoes do NO damage you hit a ship with a salvo of torpedoes and it does not put them down.

The guns barely scratch ships, I wrote post earlier what these ships are good for and I'm beginning to think as PORT QUEENS.

Now of course there a new line and news ships and new play style or maybe its just me but I'm fairly confident at playing DD's, maybe higher tier ships are better but I had some really good games in them in random yesterday and barely sank a ship.

Played a game in Coop just now and it took 8 torpedoes 8!!! in three separate salvos to sink a Iron Duke any other DD would have sent the ship to the bottom with 4 maybe 5 at most.

shot-20_03.24_07_54.11-0135.thumb.jpg.59d7ca415ff3db6c23d630add0712d27.jpg

I don't care about them having no smoke but WG fix the torpedoes and or guns.

The only thing I'm really excited about is currently the Gryf and the Tatra guess that's where my grind will end.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
1,674 posts

My review of Svenska DD

1.  every
  2. last
  3. one
  4. of
  5. them
  6. are
  7. nothing
  8. more
  9. than
  10. floating
  11. AA
  12. mounts
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

Members
2,010 posts
28,745 battles

When WG found that people would BUY a DD that could only torp BBs, well then.... they understood that this community would/could take about any ridiculousness the company could dish out... and so there's the Visby.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles

The Visby requires a different play style.  It isn't an ambush predator.  The torps don't do enough alpha damage for that.  However, the rapid torp reload rate allows you to yolo around at high speed and keep a lot of fish in the water.  You get damage over time vs damage all at once.  The two guns facing the rear also mean you should be using its low detection to spot and head away at high speed if detected.  The rear facing guns allow you to fight while kiting away, instead of heading into the enemy.  

• Cool 2

Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

I have tried playing her similar to a IJN torpedo boat. Sneak around throwing torpedoes everywhere. Speaking of which, the torpedoes don't hit hard. you really need to be spamming them on cooldown as much as possible and hope for hits instead of trying to line up the perfect salvo like an IJN boat. She has decent guns but really can't take a hit even with the heal.

Edited by Grimm262

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Pan euro DDs are DoA. Their competitive effectiveness is that of a ship 1 to 2 tiers lower than their assigned tiers. Take the Friesland for example. Pretty much EVERY single Tier 8 DD is MORE competitive fighting against Tier 10s.

• Boring 4

Members
2,834 posts
94 battles
8 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

Pan euro DDs are DoA. 

Everbody confidently said the same thing about French DDs and look what happened.

• Cool 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
Just now, RyuuohD_NA said:

Everbody confidently said the same thing about French DDs and look what happened.

1.) No they did not. 

2.) The attributes do not support that notion otherwise. It completely supports the statement for Pan-Euro DDs.

• Boring 3

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,377 posts

I think they're designed to be ALS or ALF's (annoying little s.... or f...... depending on preferred curse word) so thats the way i play them, just run around spotting spamming torps and generally just annoy the f... out of the reds, not a dd main but i had fun with them

[FML]
Members
4,185 posts
16,175 battles

I’m doing ok with the Visby at the moment. I seem to be alternating between 6-8k damage battles and 80k battles, depending if I eat a random torp or lose a gun duel with a proper DD or not. Yes, it’s awkward when you plug 5 torps into a New York and it doesn’t die, but you can’t get everything you want. 

It helps that the Visby is quick, and any heal at that tier is helpful - Nicholas doesn’t get one! The AA has been a godsend though - so many CVs at that tier, both T4 and T6, and they are starting to learn that a smokeless DD is less vulnerable that they first seem...

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,664 posts
11,770 battles

The offset reloads on the Visby is extra annoying.  I know, they'll fix it next patch after I've chained it to the dock.

• Cool 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,257 posts
25,343 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The offset reloads on the Visby is extra annoying.  I know, they'll fix it next patch after I've chained it to the dock.

I might scuttle my ship and turn her into block ship for our clan base so those fiendish Submarines cant sneak into the base :Smile_veryhappy: oh wait WG is never going to create a Global campaign mod, players might have to much fun what was I thinking :Smile_hiding:  

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
8 hours ago, Varknyn12 said:

1.) No they did not. 

2.) The attributes do not support that notion otherwise. It completely supports the statement for Pan-Euro DDs.

People have said that about EVERY line released in the past year, sometimes while others simultaneously crowned them as OP (lookin' at you, Kremlin). Really looking at it, the main difference between the French and Swedish lines are that the former specializes in burst damage and being super-speedy while the latter is more consistent DPS focused and geared for a defensive or supportive role. I can't speak to the whole line right now, but I've been enjoying the few games I've had in Vasteras so far. It's like a pack-hunting Blyskawica with torpedoes on speed.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,322 battles

I hit a Hood with 10 torps from the Visby, and someone else then secured the kill. 

No joke, 10. It took more than half the game, weaving across the map. Staying at the right distances. Judging his moves.

10 torps, and no kill.

On top of that..... no smoke, and turrets that can't keep with the ship rudder. 

Just an awful, awful ship.

Not for the first time, I wonder about the systems in the WG design department. Someone had one idea, which is "What if a ship could easily land torps, but those torps did not do much damage? Then players who like torps could be happy, and players that don't like being sunk by torps can be happy. Everyone will be HAPPY!!"

That is such a bad idea, for the simple reason that the entire satisfaction of landing torps is that they do significant damage. What did WG designers think? That people loved the look of them, as they ripple through the water like a bunch of detached erections?

So, this bad idea, because it is a bad idea, became the basis for not just a ship, but a whole line.

Gracious.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles
11 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Kleber and Mogador are fantastic.  Unfortunately the rest of that line isn't.  It's a bad line IMO because of how bad and mediocre it is overall and relying wholly on the Tier IX-X ships propping the line up.

WG has been on a kick of very mediocre, new ship lines for a while now.

FR DDs with Kleber and Mogador, rest are pretty bad.

ITA CAs and SAP?  Venezia is the monster, the rest are pretty sad.  Even Venezia's own SAP shells don't behave like all the other ITA Cruiser SAP shells.

RN CAs are remarkably dull or horrific to play, and the only ship in the entire new line that merits consideration is X Goliath.

It's also an amusing trend that the interesting characteristics of these new ship lines only converge in Tier IX-X, and some of them not even in Tier IX.  The last of the newer ship lines that actually have a bunch of great examples scattered around the tiers was the RU BB Line.  All the rest since then, they're held up by Tier IX-X to justify their existence.

• Cool 4

[UNC]
Members
952 posts
6,409 battles

I had several games in Visby and a few in Vasteras before unlocking Skane.  So far I feel like the line needs just a little something more to make it competitive, but I'm not sure what.  Most of their stats are very mediocre, and the total package is just kind of 'meh'.  Flinging 6 torps around every 55-60 seconds is fun (I guess?) but its really damn hard to get a kill with just torps.  I hit an Amagi with 9 Skane torps and did a total of 40k damage, and did not get the kill.  When I first unlocked Skane, I thought it was going to be a big improvement over the previous two - guns reload twice as fast, 12km/76kt torpedoes, and slightly better turret rotation.  But the very mediocre concealment and poor top speed and turning circle really hamper Skane.  None of them handle being uptiered well at all, which was almost all I saw with Skane. 

Overall my impression of the line is that they are mediocre, rather boring, and not terribly rewarding to play.  You can work your butt off to set up a perfect torp run or ambush and land an entire salvo and then watch your enemy sail away, only to return a few minutes later with most of the damage healed back up.  Really hoping the t8+ boats are better.

[RNG]
Members
15 posts
6,152 battles

My problem with the Visby is that it can’t really fight other DDs that aren’t its tier or lower.  Leaving enemy DDs alive then leaves  you unable to torp as effectively which really mitigates your damage. 

My impression of the higher tier (8+) is that they are able to deal with other DDs better. 

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
219 posts
7,108 battles

The only satisfaction I got with the Visby was pummeling BBs with AP. A refreshing change from the usual, even if the thing falls flat everywhere else.

Members
648 posts
13 hours ago, Varknyn12 said:

Pan euro DDs are DoA. Their competitive effectiveness is that of a ship 1 to 2 tiers lower than their assigned tiers. Take the Friesland for example. Pretty much EVERY single Tier 8 DD is MORE competitive fighting against Tier 10s.

I'm sorry, what? Friesland? That ship is a monster. I don't have any other Pan Euro DDs, but Friesland is 100% pure magic. One of my favorite ships in game.

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
712 posts
19,083 battles
34 minutes ago, spasticus5 said:

My problem with the Visby is that it can’t really fight other DDs that aren’t its tier or lower.  Leaving enemy DDs alive then leaves  you unable to torp as effectively which really mitigates your damage. 

My impression of the higher tier (8+) is that they are able to deal with other DDs better. 

I found it had trouble fighting ANY DDs...mainly because of the slow gun traverse.  I originally started to set her up as a torp boat, but decided I had to be able to survive encounters with red DDs in order to actually use the torps, and hey, the torps don't do much anyway.  So I respec'd to guns.  With every buff available, the ship no longer out-turns it's guns, and I'm having far more success with red DDs.  You have 5 guns (B hull).  If you can keep them on target and firing...FAST...you can hold your own.  Win the knife fight, then heal.  Doesn't ALWAYS work, but seems to me to work BETTER.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,664 posts
11,770 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

I found it had trouble fighting ANY DDs...mainly because of the slow gun traverse.  I originally started to set her up as a torp boat, but decided I had to be able to survive encounters with red DDs in order to actually use the torps, and hey, the torps don't do much anyway.  So I respec'd to guns.  With every buff available, the ship no longer out-turns it's guns, and I'm having far more success with red DDs.  You have 5 guns (B hull).  If you can keep them on target and firing...FAST...you can hold your own.  Win the knife fight, then heal.  Doesn't ALWAYS work, but seems to me to work BETTER.

I went full gun build my self, after I realized buffing 4k damage torps  was not getting a big payout.

[HKC]
Members
866 posts
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

I'm sorry, what? Friesland? That ship is a monster. I don't have any other Pan Euro DDs, but Friesland is 100% pure magic. One of my favorite ships in game.

Yarp.