You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

CV Rocket Attacks, why have they not been nerfed?

237 comments in this topic

Members
781 posts
2,764 battles

shot-20_03.23_14_01.23-0234.thumb.jpg.46a6c2c08217780a7b9dbbe7943a088a.jpgThey are way over powered. I honestly do not know how people can justify or defend them been in the game in the current build.

My last game is a prime example, the match had just started when this Mahan ahead of me was spotted, he had his AA off, I was trying to cover him but he was hit hard straight away, he was taking evasive action, I shot down a few planes but the token remaining planes swing around and hit him again. 1 minute into the game and he's lost 50% of his health. He was then easily finished off a few minutes later by another attack despite my New Orleans laying down AA support it did not stop or deter the CV one bit. The final score also shows how a good CV captain easily dominates the game, no other ship can have that bigger influence on a outcome. 

shot-20.03.23_14.10.12-0098.jpg

Edited by LunchCutter
  • Cool 17
  • Boring 18

[5D]
Members
1,064 posts
13,549 battles

rocket plane has been nerfed soo many time already ,,,,,

• Cool 12
  • Boring 6

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
16 minutes ago, dad003 said:

.... that you'd think by now they'd have done it right. But they haven't.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 6

[SIM]
Members
1,650 posts

Remove the rockets and return the fighters to what they should be. Defense against aircraft.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 5

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles
15 minutes ago, dad003 said:

I would like to point out that something being nerfed previously doesn't prove that it is balanced currently. 

Anyone who has played CVs should understand how broken rocket planes are at higher tiers compared to the other strike squadrons a CV can field. 

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts

I think you posted the wrong screenshot.  The first one doesn't fit with what you are explaining in your post.

I've seen a lot of DD's that immediately rush to the cap.  Almost every CV captain will send out their rocket planes to scout at the start of the match.  They are scouting the enemy fleet, scouting for those DD's that might be rushing and to prevent players from capping.

I personally feel that DD players know this and choose to ignore it.

On the subject about rocket planes they have already been nerfed so many times and an upcoming change is switching them from HE to AP rockets.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 5

Members
781 posts
2,764 battles
1 minute ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I think you posted the wrong screenshot.  The first one doesn't fit with what you are explaining in your post.

I think I fixed it?

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
Just now, LunchCutter said:

I think I fixed it?

Yep!  Thanks it was a little bit confusing reading your post and seeing the screenshots not adding up.

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles
1 minute ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I've seen a lot of DD's that immediately rush to the cap.  Almost every CV captain will send out their rocket planes to scout at the start of the match.  They are scouting the enemy fleet, scouting for those DD's that might be rushing and to prevent players from capping.

I personally feel that DD players know this and choose to ignore it.

On the subject about rocket planes they have already been nerfed so many times and an upcoming change is switching them from HE to AP rockets.

Then what's a DD player supposed to do at the start of the match?  Just go afk for 5 minutes?  DD's have the shortest ranged weaponry in the game, and most can't effectively engage targets from more than 10 km away.  You have to move forward or you're not doing anything useful at all.  If you're just going to swing out in a wide arc and avoid the caps you're probably also staying out of range of any enemy ships and you're too far away to be spotting anyone who's not shooting, so what are you even doing in the game at that point?  Preventing the CV from taking you out of the game by just taking yourself out is not much of a strategy.

• Cool 2

Members
781 posts
2,764 battles
13 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

How about nerfing whining DD players?

I was in a cruiser watching a DD getting murdered..

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts

1200 xp for the top player whom was a CV on the winning team?  A lot of sucky players in that game.

Besides WG said they are looking into AP rockets which will do a lot less damage to destroyers, but ships like the NOLA....hehe.

Edited by db4100

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts
2 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Then what's a DD player supposed to do at the start of the match?  Just go afk for 5 minutes?  DD's have the shortest ranged weaponry in the game, and most can't effectively engage targets from more than 10 km away.  You have to move forward or you're not doing anything useful at all.  If you're just going to swing out in a wide arc and avoid the caps you're probably also staying out of range of any enemy ships and you're too far away to be spotting anyone who's not shooting, so what are you even doing in the game at that point?  Preventing the CV from taking you out of the game by just taking yourself out is not much of a strategy.

DD's can still move forward and spot for the team.  CV's can only have one squadron out at a time.  It has been fairly common recently watching DD's sail at full speed straight into the cap and get destroyed fairly quickly.

You don't need to go AFK at the start like you mentioned.  Any decent DD player will not rush straight forward.  They should be on the look out for the location of enemy radar ships, enemy CV aircraft, location of enemy DD's and where the enemy team main push will be.  Depending on what DD you're in will dictate what should be your best move to help the team win.

It's really upsetting when players use the  "what are DD players suppose to do, just go afk for 5 minutes?!"  Use your head and think.

• Cool 5

[LANCE]
Members
790 posts
5,874 battles
1 minute ago, Vaidency said:

I play a lot of DDs (not particularly well admittedly) but if there’s a CV in game I little more careful about rushing to caps. I’ll watch where the CV sends his planes (usually a wide sweep of the map at the beginning) at watch my air detection range on the mini map. If the CV looks like he is going to spot me, I’ll start my smoke up and try wait him out. You can kick on your AA at that point.

Becasue WG chose to make CVs even tier only, if you play an odd tier you’ll either have a CV whose planes won’t really feel your AA or you’ll shred his planes if you’re a tier above.

When I play CV (mostly for Naval Battles or PvE) I’ll run my rockets as spotters. I always check the caps 1st for DDs and if I see them, rocket attack or drop a digger squadron to keep him spotted. Then either my team can shoot him or I can swing found for an attack.

Depending how good the CV player is and what tier the CV is (higher or lower) makes a big difference. The country of CV makes a difference too. Most CVs (except RN) rocket planes can be “dodged” by heading straight at them and then smoking up ... doesn’t always work though. It’s all about mini map usage, knowing the CV you’re playing against and playing smart (I don’t always manage that).

Caps don’t have to be captured in the 1st minute of the game and sometimes you have to wait a while before heading in. Again this all depends on the tier, enemy ships you’re playing against etc, etc

CVs are a pain in the ar$e for DDs, especially the rocket planes but they’re not going away. The rocket planes have been needed and am sure they will again but I doubt WG will ever make everyone happy so basically we just have to “just dodge” (WGs Word’s, not mine).

Good luck mate

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles
1 minute ago, db4100 said:

1200 xp for the top player whom was a CV on the winning team?  A lot of sucky players in that game.

Besides WG said they are looking into AP rockets which will do a lot less damage to destroyers, but ships like the NOLA....hehe.

Yeah, AP rockets are a great idea.  Given that most cruisers live or die by angling against AP attacks, it'll be really fun to have AP attacks being launched from planes, which travel more than four times faster than ships and can ignore terrain, making it extremely easy for them to get at the cruisers' broadsides.  I'm sure this won't cause any catastrophic balance issues at all.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts

2 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Yeah, AP rockets are a great idea.  Given that most cruisers live or die by angling against AP attacks, it'll be really fun to have AP attacks being launched from planes, which travel more than four times faster than ships and can ignore terrain, making it extremely easy for them to get at the cruisers' broadsides.  I'm sure this won't cause any catastrophic balance issues at all.

AP rockets will be devastating to cruisers.  I agree. 

I like to use HE rockets to soften up the AA by destroying the AA guns.

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles
27 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

DD's can still move forward and spot for the team.  CV's can only have one squadron out at a time.  It has been fairly common recently watching DD's sail at full speed straight into the cap and get destroyed fairly quickly.

You don't need to go AFK at the start like you mentioned.  Any decent DD player will not rush straight forward.  They should be on the look out for the location of enemy radar ships, enemy CV aircraft, location of enemy DD's and where the enemy team main push will be.  Depending on what DD you're in will dictate what should be your best move to help the team win.

It's really upsetting when players use the  "what are DD players suppose to do, just go afk for 5 minutes?!"  Use your head and think.

To be fair, the DD in the screenshot is barely out of spawn on a Standard Battle map and down half his health less than 90s into a match. 

While yes, there are plenty of DD players who just rush in and die/take unnecessary damage, it really is not hard for a CV to mess up a DD at the start of a match regardless of where the DD sails. 

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

They are way over powered. I honestly do not know how people can justify or defend them been in the game in the current build.

My last game is a prime example, the match had just started when this Mahan ahead of me was spotted, he had his AA off, I was trying to cover him but he was hit hard straight away, he was taking evasive action, I shot down a few planes but the token remaining planes swing around and hit him again. 1 minute into the game and he's lost 50% of his health. He was then easily finished off a few minutes later by another attack despite my New Orleans laying down AA support it did not stop or deter the CV one bit. The final score also shows how a good CV captain easily dominates the game, no other ship can have that bigger influence on a outcome. 

I was bottom tier in a visby and a T7 balans bote 1 shotted it.  I'll take CVs chipping away over the alpha of the soviet paper ships.  The mahan has AA on in that picture FWIW

• Cool 1

Members
1,102 posts
57 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

CV Rocket Attacks, why have they not been nerfed?

Why would WG nerf the new weapon that supported the CV rework?

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,412 posts
14,163 battles
1 hour ago, Vaidency said:

In a match with CV's DD's are not scouts in the initial stages. While five minutes may be a bit long yes you need to sit back and watch where the planes end up operating and then operate where they are not but keep an on on them to move where they are operating.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
1 hour ago, SovereignEagle said:

I would like to point out that something being nerfed previously doesn't prove that it is balanced currently. 

Anyone who has played CVs should understand how broken rocket planes are at higher tiers compared to the other strike squadrons a CV can field. 

Nor does making a subjective statement make it a necessary change. The only thing you and others offer is emotive statements. Rockets are designed to hit small and fast moving targets. No one that uses a small and fast target will be satisfied until they are simply an irrelevant threat. 

Edited by _Caliph_

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles
7 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Nor does making a subjective statement make it a necessary change. The only thing you and others offer is emotive statements. Rockets are designed to hit small and fast moving targets. No one that uses a small and fast target will be satisfied until they are simply an irrelevant threat. 

OP asks why rocket planes are as strong as they are: provides proof of a DD losing half its health at the start of a game to a rocket strike.

Poster responds with "rockets shouldn't be nerfed because they've already been nerfed"...

???

Obviously rockets are going to be easier to use against DDs than the other strike options, but specifically against DDs is where their difficulty of attack vs damage potential is completely broken. And people who defend CVs consistently seem to conveniently avoid commenting on why it should be this way. 

I'm very happy to have a proper conversation about the issues regarding CVs (including issues that negatively affect CVs too), but it takes two to tango, and very few people have ever brought up solid points for CVs currently being balanced.  So naturally when the first post to a thread about rocket planes being broken is "they've already been nerfed"; it is obvious I'm not going to be impressed. 

• Cool 2

[ANKER]
Members
234 posts
4,888 battles

If WG got a chance  to put a separate Game mode if you want to play against CV's they will have a chance to see the Majority of players would not go and play there bcoz it's Not fun..For now just enjoy getting nuke if your running a dd.

• Boring 1

[ANKER]
Members
234 posts
4,888 battles
1 hour ago, SovereignEagle said:

To be fair, the DD in the screenshot is barely out of spawn on a Standard Battle map and down half his health less than 90s into a match. 

While yes, there are plenty of DD players who just rush in and die/take unnecessary damage, it really is not hard for a CV to mess up a DD at the start of a match regardless of where the DD sails. 

fact.

[NKOTD]
Members
1,041 posts
9,721 battles
1 hour ago, HeadSplit120 said:

Your point while true, is completely irrelevant.   Unless a DD goes backwards or hangs back with everybody else (as already mentioned that contrary to the DD mission) the CV can find the DD.  Once found, a competent CV driver will take away large chunks of hp with rockets.  For most DDs, their only play is to smoke up and hope he goes away.  Early game he will, late game he probably won't.

The fact of the matter is it is far too easy for CVs to successfully complete a rocket attack against a maneuvering DD.  I wish they would add a touch more realism to it.  I realize this is an arcadey kind of game, but considering it takes about a second or so from launch to target the rockets would have to be supersonic to cover that distance.

• Cool 3