You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

First T10 Ship

40 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,344 posts
14,130 battles

What was your first T10 ship and how did you feel about it?

Honestly, it's been such a long time since I unlocked my first T10 that I almost don't recall.  It was either Gearing or Des Moines.

I do remember thinking it was weird at that point in the sense that there was nothing else to grind out on that line (pre-Legendary Upgrades).  Forced me to look at other lines that I never considered before.

How about you?

Members
3,584 posts
12,964 battles

Conqueror. Just wanted to burn everything down. Still play it occasionally, still consider it some what cheese, but still fun. 

[WOLF9]
Members
655 posts
18,917 battles

Monty, and it is still my favorite T10.  She is my first battle every day.

I got her one year ago.  Now I also have:  Des Moines, Worcester, Yamato, Zao, Kremlin, Moskva, Hindy, GK, and Venezia.

Also got:  Yoshino, Puerto Rico, and Thunderer.

It's been a good year for me.  Hopefully will finish off the Conquerer, Republique, Goliath, Minotaur, and Henri IV along with the two new Russian Ca and CL T10s by the end of this year.  I don't do DDs or CVs.

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,447 battles

GK.  Not that I particulalrly I wanted it, but I got the Bismarck from the campaign that came out when the Hood was first released - then the Yamamoto came out soon after and the Bismarck and later FdG were two of only 4 ships I had to work that campaign and voila I had the GK.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

My first T10 was Yamato. Its still one of my favorite ships in the game. 

After i got Yamato grinding lines become much easier. Before i used to see T10 like that "far and nearly impossible" ship to get (maybe because Izumo was sucha pain to grind). After i got Yamato somehting just clicked and i started to grind one line after the other. 

Fun thing, i remeber my first T10, but i dont remeber the order that i got the other T10s.  

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,755 posts
11,763 battles
17 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Feel about it when we first unlocked it or how do we feel about those ships now? Your question isn't very spacific.

My first T10 boat was Des Moines. I unlocked her not very long after the game went live due to WG saving the OBT progress if memory serves. After the nightmares of pre-tripple buff Baltimore and USN improved super heavy penetration angles, i got my hands on Des Moines.

Des Moines back then made me feel like i tripped climbing a steep winding staircase and fell onto a moving bicycle. I got ~105k damage my first battle. Des Moines back then felt like a 203mm armed Atlanta with a Baltimore skin. Thay was before Des Moines recoeved her 30mm deck that could bounce ~406mm weather deck and super long before the 27mm bow plating buff. Every BB you seen (only American and Japanese) lolpenned your ship regardless of range or angle. 

Back then, Des Moines was fun, very fun and very pretty, but you had to love being American more; because back then Zao was better and more survivable and powerful in every shape and way.

However, as of today? This patch? Des Moines is relatively competitive for a ship of her age. I feel Des Moines is more versatile than Worcester, but still behind Zao. I always felt Alaska shouod have been the T10 successor to the t9 Baltimore, but it's fine she made it in a premium. 

The existance of paper ships really put steel ships off balance because almost every design had to endure scientific compromises between the drawing board and commissioning. None of the paper ships in WoWs had to endure amy of this. So now Des Moines (real ship) has to compete against what are technically Nazi Space Ships and and Emperor Hojo's Hentai revenge...

It could be better for Des Moines, but it could be much worse. At least the USN finally got her second line. Now it's time for a 2nd USN BB line, followed up by a 2nd DD line followed by a USN super heavy CA line and Jet CV line...

:cap_look:

OOPS! I think i may have gone too far...

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Montana

Felt good about it, enjoyed it - was happy with the investment.

Since reset the line to inch towards Ohio.  Now have Kurfurst, Thunderer to take her place and every premium US BB. 

Don't really miss her, but would be nice to have her back.

[BIER]
Members
172 posts
8,812 battles

Mino!!

I first started playing right when British ships where first rolled out and figured I would start there. Fun ship but it has been over shadowed by others since. The Smol was the death nell . Smol is everything the mino is but they gave it HE. I can’t think of a reason to play the mino over the smol anymore. 

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles

Des Moines and was happy to finish before the US cruiser split.

Worcester was my second. I'm working on Ibuki, Gearing, Montana, FdG, Jutland, Alsace, Shokaku, Lexington and Implacable to get the next T10s. I think I will end up FXP'ing Chapayev to Moskva before the others tho.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

My first T10 was Moskva, it had to be, I got the Aurora camo and couldn’t wait to mount it.

After it came Yoshino and Des Moines.

Edited by CO_Valle

[GOB]
Members
2,056 posts

Gearing.....  Still play it daily : )  Also where I got my first 19pnt Capt.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,024 posts
8,268 battles

Hindenburg.

I enjoyed the KM CAs from KBerg on, and Hindy is no exception.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,903 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Honestly, it's been such a long time since I unlocked my first T10 that I almost don't recall.  It was either Gearing or Des Moines.

I do remember thinking it was weird at that point in the sense that there was nothing else to grind out on that line (pre-Legendary Upgrades).  Forced me to look at other lines that I never considered before.

How about you?

I think the line I spent the most time on and got first was IJN Shimakaze … 

That was 2 years ago and the peak of my enjoyment and support for Wows

It's been a loveless relationship since then with trial separations and thoughts of divorce

Edited by Commander_367

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

Khaba when it was OP before the range nerf.  still decent at the time even with range nerf'd down.    

[HINON]
Members
13,260 posts

Midway was my first T10. It took a while as I rarely grind one line exclusively. More T10s have piled up since then as I went up so many slowly but surely.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,097 posts
14,317 battles

Salem. Is that cheating?

She's the premium ship on which I have the most XP, even though I've had the Warspite for many months longer. Worth every scrap of coal I paid for her.

From the tech tree? Minotaur. She and I have a difficult relationship, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of her. Starting to play with the radar option, at least in co-op.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, Supertester
946 posts
13,323 battles

Minotaur, the old AA against RTS CV was a thing of beauty.

[LANCE]
Members
793 posts
5,899 battles

Gearing - use it most CB. I prefer my Z-52 which came next but it’s been power-crept a little.

When I 1st got Gearing I played it a while and then bought back my Fletcher because I thought it was better. Still have Faragut, Sims, Benson and Fletcher as I love em all! Added Smith (fun with a 19pt Capt), Hill, Monaghan, Kidd, Black and Benham to the list so the 19pt captains came quickly. Somers will come one day!

Edited by Bravo4zero

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,910 battles

Shimakaze, way back with the old CVs

First ever game in Shima I go open water to scout. Midways sees me, cross-drop torps and I'm gone having fired not one shot.

Lovely.

Members
4,355 posts
11,269 battles

Montana. Unlocked her one or two days into the second clan battle season after playing rental Montana at the beginning of the first and then grinding through Iowa between seasons to have a non rental as my clan’s main BB player at the time. Still play her quite a bit in both randoms and competitive and she’s still one of my favorite battleships.

My first random battle was (for me as a player then) okay, two kills and about 90k damage, but my first clan battle in it the next day.... enemy Henri decided to open up on one of my team’s DMs on the other flank and about 14 seconds later discovered 10,800 pounds of freedom shells coming in from the other side of the map with a usps same day delivery box pre-addressed to ‘Port.’ Probably one of my favorite shots from that season. 

Since then I’ve gotten another five t10s (Moskva, DM or Stalingrad, Worcester, and Thunderer in that order) and closing in on another (Smolensk) with a bunch of other lines (mostly cruisers) sitting somewhere between t6 and t8 that I work on every now and then. It’s definiteky taken a lot longer than it could have to get those other 10s and other lines to where they are, but I tend to prefer just playing whatever I want rather than focusing on only one grind, and I still find myself playing some of the ships I’ve already passed a lot to farm other stuff (free xp/elite commander xp/etc). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07