Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Is torpedo protection better than turtleback?

5 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,135 battles

Just had a mid-short range duel in a Thunderer vs a Republique. Getting nice broadside shots. A lot of them were listed as torpedo protection hits, which I assume does no damage. Are those no-damage hits? Turtleback would protect the citadel but still yield some damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,832
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

Yep, torpedo protection hits are zero damage because the torpedo bulges are sacrificial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,135 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Yep, torpedo protection hits are zero damage because the torpedo bulges are sacrificial.

But a shell should go through that inch of so of "armor", slowing slightly, and still have the ability to try and pen the underlying belt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,832
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

But a shell should go through that inch of so of "armor", slowing slightly, and still have the ability to try and pen the underlying belt. 

Correct but if it doesn't it becomes a torpedo protection hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,131
[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,628 posts
4,994 battles
On 3/22/2020 at 10:58 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Just had a mid-short range duel in a Thunderer vs a Republique. Getting nice broadside shots. A lot of them were listed as torpedo protection hits, which I assume does no damage. Are those no-damage hits? Turtleback would protect the citadel but still yield some damage. 

No. A torpedo protection hit is equivalent to a bounce or shatter.  Basically the shell punched through the torpedo belt with ease and then either bounced off of the belt or failed to penetrate the belt.  The hit didn't do 0 damage because of the torpedo belt, it did 0 damage because it bounced off of, or shattered on, the hull's armor.

A turtleback doesn't come into play unless the shell punches through the hull armor.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×