Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IpityU

Match Making - strange outcomes with AA

33 comments in this topic

[DERE]
Members
34 posts
4,008 battles

I originally noticed it with my Atlanta - one of the best AA cruisers I own.   I noticed that in games when I used it I was seldom matched with a CV in the game.   If I used a different Tier 7 ship there was most often a CV in the match, but less than 20% of the time was there one with Atlanta.   I figured it was just 'weird' and didn't think much of it.

Recently I got the Gneisenau.  At first in most games there was one or two CV on the opposing team.   I decided to buff my AA stats.   Now - five games in a row and no CV - so essentially those buffs are completely wasted and useless. 

I am starting to wonder if a significant part of the matchmaking has to do with AA strength.  Seems a bit 'effed up if that;s the case.  

• Cool 1

Members
2,113 posts
6,338 battles

MM only matches tier and ship type. Does not consider armament or skill.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
27 minutes ago, IpityU said:

I originally noticed it with my Atlanta - one of the best AA cruisers I own.   I noticed that in games when I used it I was seldom matched with a CV in the game.   If I used a different Tier 7 ship there was most often a CV in the match, but less than 20% of the time was there one with Atlanta.   I figured it was just 'weird' and didn't think much of it.

Recently I got the Gneisenau.  At first in most games there was one or two CV on the opposing team.   I decided to buff my AA stats.   Now - five games in a row and no CV - so essentially those buffs are completely wasted and useless. 

I am starting to wonder if a significant part of the matchmaking has to do with AA strength.  Seems a bit 'effed up if that;s the case.  

RNG is telling you this.

LI5rZlV.jpg

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
16 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

MM only matches tier and ship type. Does not consider armament or skill.

According to whom? Pretty sure MM accounts for a lot more stuff than tier and ship type.

Members
2,113 posts
6,338 battles

Let's not break out the Tin Foil. I have been in the house long enough.....:Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

All that says is the general pairing rules of MM, not how is the innerwork of the algorythm, what it accounts or not. 

That is what WG has told us. WG staff has said in the past that things like armament, RADAR, hydro, etc are NOT considered.

689525840_Perth240120201845PVE4kills11citadelsTeam.thumb.JPG.3d00dae5f59a0ab10cec8410a9c108ec.JPG

In the match above the MM saw this;

T6 CV                               T6 CV

T5 BB                               T5 BB

T6 CL/CA                        T6 CL/CA

T5 CL/CA                        T5 CL/CA

T5 CL/CA                        T5 CL/CA

T5 DD                              T5 DD

[1984]
Members
4,121 posts
19,874 battles
1 hour ago, IpityU said:

i had this yesterday in groz. stock aa 3 back to back cv games. loaded premium aa, no cv matches.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

just make sure you have  everything setup as AA and you will rarely see CVs  :P       (and if they do come up, they will avoid you like a plague)    sounds like win!  

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
16 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

That is what WG has told us. WG staff has said in the past that things like armament, RADAR, hydro, etc are NOT considered.

689525840_Perth240120201845PVE4kills11citadelsTeam.thumb.JPG.3d00dae5f59a0ab10cec8410a9c108ec.JPG

In the match above the MM saw this;

T6 CV                               T6 CV

T6 CL/CA                        T6 CL/CA

T5 CL/CA                        T5 CL/CA

T5 DD                              T5 DD

Dude, pretty sure OP is refering to MM for PvP context. In PvE is a veru straight mirror.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

Dude, pretty sure OP is refering to MM for PvP context. In PvE is a veru straight mirror.

Dude, MM only looks at Tier and ship. Random is matched up with tier and ship. Co-op has not been a straight mirror for months.

Here is a PvP match...

100236901_Giussano2111201919023kills76kConfederateTeam.thumb.JPG.ea74d0f98d5ca944a6b5a410ba9b6ae0.JPG

...and MM saw the following;

T4 CV                                        T4 CV

T4 CV                                        T4 CV

T4 BB                                        T4 BB

T4 BB                                        T4 BB

T4 CL/CA                                 T4 CL/CA

T4 DD                                       T4 DD

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
482 posts
4,334 battles

gg

Edited by _Sang

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
482 posts
4,334 battles
gg

Edited by _Sang

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
482 posts
4,334 battles

GG

Edited by _Sang

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

As far as we know, the MM just considers tier, ship type and ship nation. Consumables, AA, secundaries are not taken into account. 

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
482 posts
4,334 battles

gg

Edited by _Sang

[WORX]
Members
10,610 posts
18,506 battles
2 hours ago, IpityU said:

originally noticed it with my Atlanta - one of the best AA cruisers I own.

I stopped reading after i read this^^^... I was compelled to correct you, this is no longer true..

IF you want better AA, get a BB or CV.  CL's are no longer the preferred choice of getting planes to stop attacking you.

The ATL is on boarder line of asking for a Refund for her...

• ATL guns are now worthless in +2MM restriction..
  • AA is non-existent.
  • Armor, well any weaker and it would surpass the Smolensk

When a ship, has been nerfed so much from its original release state... If this was a BB, pitch forks would be out immediately.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[DERE]
Members
34 posts
4,008 battles

I didn't say how long ago I noticed it.... 

Meanwhile - yes, I am almost certain aa is considered.  

2 hours ago, centarina said:

just make sure you have  everything setup as AA and you will rarely see CVs  :P       (and if they do come up, they will avoid you like a plague)    sounds like win!  

The trouble is - I WANT the points from killing aircraft.   Every other skill is designed to deliver points, but without aircraft to shoot then the ten commander points I spent on AA are complete waste - and every other ship in the match has n advantage over me.  

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
8 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

According to whom? Pretty sure MM accounts for a lot more stuff than tier and ship type.

According to the only people that have full knowledge. (although yeah, now it also accounts for %of bottom-tier games in the last 20)

Maybe they're lying, but it's not like there's any way to tell whether they are or not.

I mean sure, maybe you don't trust the diagnosis your doctor gave you, but what else are you left with? (assuming you can't see another doctor)

Letting auto mechanics and part-time veterinarian's assistants tell you what your issue is? 

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

According to the only people that have full knowledge. (although yeah, now it also accounts for %of bottom-tier games in the last 20)

Maybe they're lying, but it's not like there's any way to tell whether they are or not.

I mean sure, maybe you don't trust the diagnosis your doctor gave you, but what else are you left with? (assuming you can't see another doctor)

Letting auto mechanics and part-time veterinarian's assistants tell you what your issue is? 

Call me sceptic, as business practices goes smoking doesn't give cancer and sugar is good for you. Not saying it considers AA in particular, but not buying MM only considers 3 variables, you don't patent a dumb algorythm as that.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
22 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Call me sceptic, as business practices goes smoking doesn't give cancer and sugar is good for you. Not saying it considers AA in particular, but not buying MM only considers 3 variables, you don't patent a dumb algorythm as that.

The more variables, the longer the wait time. WG has said that the MM only uses tier and ship type, with the exceptions listed in the wiki, like CV limits. You can always ping the mods for more details.

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The more variables, the longer the wait time. WG has said that the MM only uses tier and ship type, with the exceptions listed in the wiki, like CV limits. You can always ping the mods for more details.

Maybe is just me but, with 50-70 players in cue, a waiting time of 20 secs seems a bit long for a simple pairing. I'm not losing sleep about the details of MM, nor believe a mod would share the "secret sauce recipe" with a customer (if it exists at all). Just being frank about how I feel on the matter, not pushing for tin foil hats.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
55 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

but not buying MM only considers 3 variables, you don't patent a dumb algorythm as that.

That's just it, they did. The patent contains all kinds of neat things they can do with tiering, but it doesn't describe anything that could be used to "rig" games like that. If victory was up to you, instead of all 12 of you, then meddling with tiering could indeed be used that way. 

Besides, WG owns the patent, not WoWS per se. They used things in WoT that they don't here. (like preferred MM for premiums ships)

That's not to say that they aren't doing something they didn't patent, but again, all you can do is guess, because only one party knows for sure.

And really, if you play an AA ship T6 or higher, the odds are against you seeing a CV, because there's fewer games with them than without them. Probably twice or more as many.

Sign in to follow this