Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Puerto Rico's Citadel?

5 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,031 battles

I watched Yuro's YouTube video on "How to Puerto Rico".  I learned that She has an additional "casemate armor" of 114mm that I didn't know about.  All appears is the 19mm citadel deck. So where did this (114 mm) come from since It doesn't appear in the Armor layout?  Would some be kind enough to school me on the casemate degrees etc?  The citadel top appears at water's edge and doesn't seem to be above.  Was there a stealth buff WG did to Puerto Rico?

Deck-Belt Armor 38 30.png

Citadel seck armor 19 mm.png

Casemate Armor 140.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
missing text

Members
2,848 posts
36,608 battles

It's about layers. WG has made it interesting to duplicate the splinter deck.

What is a splinter deck?

The US Navy built this feature originally for BBs post WW1 and it evolved in WW2. By the time Alaska was built,it was already integrated.

How does it work?

It's a layer of either the casemate for horizontal penetration and the belt for sides. Here layers are put in to allow an AP shell to detonate early before it hits a citadel. These layers are very handy when the PR angles as even a slight pen is not fatal.

It works most effective at range. Up close and all bets are off. High velocity and proximity to ship can defeat it.

The Royal Navy opted post Jutland to reinforce a BB rather than a splinter deck initially but in case of HMS Hood, it worked and was applied to front 3/4s of the ship. But HMS Hood sank closer to waterline. So turrets 3 and 4 deck was never added. Cost was another issue too. It lead to the ship&s demise and the Royal Navy finally added this feature to the fleet.

The US Navy version on post Washington Treaty ships is the best design because an actual deck or casemate was dedicated.

PR would have Alaska's version but closely along DM.

Basically,  if your shell has the velocity and the mass, it can pen a PR from range if it is caught wide. RNG is in play of course. But PR mitigates that by angling.

But get too close and like any ship is bound by the rules of physics. So good cover, maneuvering, and catching your target unawares is key. Get spotted early and get in trouble.

Hope that helps.

• Cool 2

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,031 battles
5 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It's about layers. WG has made it interesting to duplicate the splinter deck.

What is a splinter deck?

The US Navy built this feature originally for BBs post WW1 and it evolved in WW2. By the time Alaska was built,it was already integrated.

How does it work?

It's a layer of either the casemate for horizontal penetration and the belt for sides. Here layers are put in to allow an AP shell to detonate early before it hits a citadel. These layers are very handy when the PR angles as even a slight pen is not fatal.

It works most effective at range. Up close and all bets are off. High velocity and proximity to ship can defeat it.

The Royal Navy opted post Jutland to reinforce a BB rather than a splinter deck initially but in case of HMS Hood, it worked and was applied to front 3/4s of the ship. But HMS Hood sank closer to waterline. So turrets 3 and 4 deck was never added. Cost was another issue too. It lead to the ship&s demise and the Royal Navy finally added this feature to the fleet.

The US Navy version on post Washington Treaty ships is the best design because an actual deck or casemate was dedicated.

PR would have Alaska's version but closely along DM.

Basically,  if your shell has the velocity and the mass, it can pen a PR from range if it is caught wide. RNG is in play of course. But PR mitigates that by angling.

But get too close and like any ship is bound by the rules of physics. So good cover, maneuvering, and catching your target unawares is key. Get spotted early and get in trouble.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I was amazed by how PR tanked per Yuro's build.    

PR Rank.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[LSNB]
Members
159 posts
4,847 battles

You might need a camera mod to do this, but you can actually see this armor in port. The bottom of the casemate is basically sandwiched on top of the citadel roof, so if you disable the casemate armor you won't be able to see it, but if you disable the citadel armor, you won't be able to actually see the bottom of the casemate because of the angle. But I do believe it's there.

[O7]
Members
195 posts
8,467 battles

That armor viewer that Yuro used [or at least where the image was acquired from] is from GM3d, which mines this stuff.

Warship's own built in armor viewer generally does not provide this kind of detail.

Unfortunately, GM3d is a paid service so unless you are willing to fork over some money you probably won't be able to view this without mining it yourself.

Sign in to follow this