You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CDR_ESX

Help with the new changes and Mogami

5 comments in this topic

[TPGUN]
Members
8 posts
77 battles

I heard that the Mogami is even better after the IFHE and armor changes, and thinking of buying it back.  However, I have not played it in a long time and can't seem to remember how it was before the changes.  Also for some reason, I have a strange curiosity to use the 155mm guns due to the faster reload and great shell velocity, although the turn rate is even worse.  Can anyone with experience and more knowledge of the ship let me know what was so good about the changes and if my 155mm fantasy is just crazy.   

LittleWhiteMouse said this:

155mm - Take IFHE.  Mogami 155mm is one of the biggest winners with the IFHE rework.

So the HE pen goes to 38-39 from 31 and you lose 50% fire chance?  I don't see many situations where that pen makes a big difference for half the fire chance.  What am I missing?

Edited by CDR_ESX

Members
4,332 posts
11,149 battles

The buff they’re talking about is the fact that the 155s can now pen 38mm (high tier usn battleship and large cruiser decks and a bunch of other targets) with the new ifhe, although you lose half your fire chance. But you are (I think) the only 152-180mm cruiser in the game that can pen 38mm (the 7 inch guns on Donskoi/Molotov used to, but since they didn’t get the 1/5 pen they top out at 37 now too). 203mm with IFHE can pen 38mm, but there’s really no need to run it on those guns.

The 203s have better dispersion (all IJN 203s use the destroyer dispersion values) and harder hitting AP, while the 155s have always benefited from the faster reload and ifhe. The general recommendation for a lot of people has pretty much always been 155 mogami both as a change of pace from the 203s on the rest of the line and for the faster reload plus ifhe. And after the change, they’re now even better, even though you do lose a lot more fire chance than you used to. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[TPGUN]
Members
8 posts
77 battles
22 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The buff they’re talking about is the fact that the 155s can now pen 38mm (high tier usn battleship and large cruiser decks and a bunch of other targets) with the new ifhe, although you lose half your fire chance. But you are (I think) the only 152-180mm cruiser in the game that can pen 38mm (the 7 inch guns on Donskoi/Molotov used to, but since they didn’t get the 1/5 pen they top out at 37 now too). 203mm with IFHE can pen 38mm, but there’s really no need to run it on those guns.

The 203s have better dispersion (all IJN 203s use the destroyer dispersion values) and harder hitting AP, while the 155s have always benefited from the faster reload and ifhe. The general recommendation for a lot of people has pretty much always been 155 mogami both as a change of pace from the 203s on the rest of the line and for the faster reload plus ifhe. And after the change, they’re now even better, even though you do lose a lot more fire chance than you used to. 

So if you need IFHE to reach 38 pen on both sets of guns, then why not take it on the 203's also?

Edited by CDR_ESX

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles
1 hour ago, CDR_ESX said:

So the HE pen goes to 38-39 from 31 and you lose 50% fire chance?  I don't see many situations where that pen makes a big difference for half the fire chance.  What am I missing?

The fact that larger portions of many ships are now autopenned, meaning less shatters and more direct damage. Direct damage that only 50% of can be restored, while also still having a chance to set fires - and realistically cruisers lost AT MOST 3% fire chance with the change. And are still rocking 5% or more bases. Mogami specifically with old IFHE went to 7% and is now 5% reworked. Pre rework you had to aim at the bow area of a ship like NC or Iowa - now anything you fire at the superstructure but hits deck/upper siding instead of a shatter is a pen - so if you were landing 7 rounds and 3 were shatters there - now you'll be 7/7. Basically a 50% increase in damage dealt. Fire a salvo at range at a Minotaur - you and any 152 mm with IFHE at that tier have a chance that your HE round pens the turret rood to take it out. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,332 posts
11,149 battles
50 minutes ago, CDR_ESX said:

So if you need IFHE to reach 38 pen on both sets of guns, then why not take it on the 203's also?

Because the reload is longer, they don’t benefit as much from ifhe (they only cross one threshold instead of two, and it’s not a very common threshold), and you lose more fire chance on the 203s then you do on the 155s. The main reason to take ifhe on any 152-180mm cruiser is to be able to pen 32mm which is all high tier battleship extremities. That the 155s can now pen 38mm is an added plus but not the main benefit since the additional plating you can pen is only on a handful of ships compared to the amount that have 32mm that you can pen with ifhe.

If you want to use ifhe on the 203s, that’s your choice, but the negatives significantly outweigh the positives.