You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

Does the Puerto Rico have a Citadel

12 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
270 posts

At point blank range with a Salem i had the PR perfectly Broadside and i did barely anything to him. So i just tested it out with a Clan mate and after 20 shots I got one. yes 20 shots as he just sat there and let me shoot him over and over again. is this a design feature or a bug that needs to be fixed?

• Cool 3

Members
1,052 posts
4,376 battles

Hello there!

This is actually a design feature. On the surface, PR appears to have the same weakness as all American BBs, a 19mm citadel roof that should be easily overmatched. However, if you look a little bit lower than that, you'll actually find that there's a stonkin' thick and stonkin' huge 114mm roof plate that either prevents damage altoghether, or reduces damage to mere penetrations. It's sorta like the Turtleback armor found on the Hindy, only it works top-down instead the diagonal slope found on the German

:SerB:

[D3BT]
Members
371 posts
6,199 battles
6 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

Does the Puerto Rico have a citadel?

No, it doesn't. :Smile_trollface:

Edited by MudRaker227

Members
1,052 posts
4,376 battles
Just now, MudRaker227 said:

No, it doesn't. :Smile_trollface:

It does, actually. Yuro showed it in his vid 

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
6 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

At point blank range with a Salem i had the PR perfectly Broadside and i did barely anything to him. So i just tested it out with a Clan mate and after 20 shots I got one. yes 20 shots as he just sat there and let me shoot him over and over again. is this a design feature or a bug that needs to be fixed?

The Puerto Rico has 114 mm of "casemate armor" that acts as citadel armor and makes the Puerto Rico citadel nearly impenetrable. This is a good thing since the ship receives less aid from teammates than the actual island did from the United States.

• Funny 6

[D3BT]
Members
371 posts
6,199 battles
Just now, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

It does, actually. Yuro showed it in his vid 

Fake news.... :Smile_trollface:

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,206 battles
21 minutes ago, Ocoda said:

How did you get that close to a PR?  I easily delete DMs and Salems before they can get anywhere near me....

The only thing the PR has to worry about is the balans bias bote (krem, and from the side at least, bow and stern not so much)

Edited by NoSoMo

[WOLF3]
Members
27,043 posts
23,838 battles

Close range, Alaska-class, of which PR is a derivative of, is actually quite trollish in giving up their citadels.  Between Kronshtadt, the two B-65s, and the related Alaska-class, the AK-class is IMO the safest in terms of protecting their citadels at close range.  Kronshtadt would be next, but she's more dependent on angling.  If you catch Kron from her sides, she's in big trouble.  Not AK-class.  Very forgiving.

Just watch it at range tough, that's where the cits start happening from BB shells.  Also, AP Dive Bombers eat CAs / Super Cruisers alive.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,123 posts
7,981 battles

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

Spoiler

I can citadel them semi-reliably with the Yamato at long range....but seriously the citadel is really hard to hit for most ships 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,052 posts
4,376 battles

To be fair, though, I've blapped these things for around 20-30k with a good salvo, usually landing a citadel in the process and a flip-ton of raw pen damage along side that. The key here is to aim at the citadel around the same cheek area that you would on German Battleships, as this is a guaranteed weakpoint that separates the main armor belt from the bow and stern armor.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

Soviet 130s, pre IFHE nerf used to eat PR alive, like mosquitoes can drive a bull moose to leap over a cliff. I have discovered that AP aimed into the upper belt of PR and Alaska with small cal/high ballistic ordinance is insanely effective; only the DM melts down quicker. Hit it with high cal HE for the same effect. Its cit is not of any consequence.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,217 posts
11,123 battles

I've hit 4 cits with a Yamato broadside in ranked. I want to say 13-16km range. 

Edited by GandalfTehGray