Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pirate_Named_Bob

NC or go straight to Iowa?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

248
[SEA-7]
Members
257 posts
5,184 battles

I'm 60k XP into my Colorado and am really bored of it. It's just so darn slow. Once it gets there, it does a fine job blowing boats up and taking hits, but god forbid I am born on the wrong side of the map or something. It's really just not that interesting of a ship for me. I love the German line, and I am up to Bismark (scharnhorst is the favorite though) there but I do want something that plays the game a little differently, from mid to long range. 

Curious if NC will be more of that mid to long play style, is it worth it to skip to Iowa? I also have the Japanese line as an option of Nagoto or Amagi would more suite that play style. I currently have 125K free XP to spend on something shiny or not at all. 

 

Thanks!

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,018
[RLGN]
Members
14,323 posts
25,263 battles

Just deal with it.

Do what you can, suffer when you must.

Colorado now, is nothing like it used to be.

You’re going to die enough learning to play NC.

No need to rush to get it; you’ll only die broke, (no fxp and credits,) and tired. 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,889
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,670 posts
32 minutes ago, jamesisokay said:

Thanks!

The North Carolina is an excellent ship. It can hold its own at tier X and when it's high tier it can really rock. I definitely recommend getting it and playing at least a hundred games in it before moving on. The Iowa is faster but with it you don't have the advantage of getting into those tier VI-VIII matches where you can really dominate the game. It's a good ship though. The Montana is tanky and has more guns but is more sluggish. Tier X requires Premium permacamo for a good economy too.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,795 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Just deal with it.

Do what you can, suffer when you must.

Colorado now, is nothing like it used to be.

You’re going to die enough learning to play NC.

No need to rush to get it; you’ll only die broke, (no fxp and credits,) and tired. 

He's right^^

 

besides NC is a very tanky and fun ship to play. most players I know have kept her or later bought her back due to her good qualities!:fish_book:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,911
[O_O]
Members
6,451 posts
15,361 battles

North Carolina is a significant technological advancement over Colorado, which feels like a moderately improved New Mexico.

I kept New Mexico until I got Arizona, but after selling New Mexico I earned her back with a permanent camo from one of the events.  I also kept North Carolina, and still play her from time to time, even though I have Missouri and Montana.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,018
[RLGN]
Members
14,323 posts
25,263 battles
57 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The Montana is tanky and has more guns but is more sluggish. Tier X requires Premium permacamo for a good economy too.

Been running it in Co-op with a premium account, the five eco flags and green dragon, and good camo, and most of the time making bank.

Too many other things on my plate right now to be interested in playing Montana in Randoms.

56 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

He's right^^

besides NC is a very tanky and fun ship to play. most players I know have kept her or later bought her back due to her good qualities!:fish_book:

 

Just now, desmo_2 said:

North Carolina is a significant technological advancement over Colorado, which feels like a moderately improved New Mexico.

I kept New Mexico until I got Arizona, but after selling New Mexico I earned her back with a permanent camo from one of the events.  I also kept North Carolina, and still play her from time to time, even though I have Missouri and Montana.

Other than the (2018/19/20) anniversary and new year’s events, I don’t think I’ve played NC or Missouri in over two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,372 posts
11,269 battles

NC is still one of my favorite BBs in the game, when though it’s been three plus years since I got her. She finally gets the speed that the usn standards have been lacking, and her guns hit hard. They will definitely take some getting used to since the shells are so floaty, but once you figure out the aim and lead, that’s a ship that doesn’t care if it’s bottom tier or not.

It’s tanky enough to brawl when needed (and I’ve gone in and brawled with one and two tier higher battleships and won on multiple occasions) and accurate enough to land shots across the map when needed, but like most of the usn line it’s most comfortable as a mid range ship in the 12-15km range. 

I’ve never gotten rid of it, and never will. Unless I’m really wanting to grind another ship at t8, it’s still my go to choice for any t8 divisions and still my go to battleship choice for t8 competitive. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[SEA-7]
Members
257 posts
5,184 battles
38 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

North Carolina is a significant technological advancement over Colorado, which feels like a moderately improved New Mexico.

I kept New Mexico until I got Arizona, but after selling New Mexico I earned her back with a permanent camo from one of the events.  I also kept North Carolina, and still play her from time to time, even though I have Missouri and Montana.

Thanks for the replies, atm I will continue on to get NC. I don't know if I can bring myself to spend a few straight days playing CO to get there so, when I get there, I get there. I really love NM though, and still play it occasionally. I've enjoyed every other USN ship so far. Wy was fun, TX was terrible, NM great, and CO while powerful is just boring to play. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
383 posts
4,146 battles

The NC is the first of the "fast" battleships that more or less provide an idea of the next ships. When compared to the other BBs the NC is the "jack of all trades". It is good enough at range, and in a brawl where-as most of the competition specializes for specific engagements. Basically you take the Colorado's guns, add more of them, and put them onto a different platform that is more mobile, more armored, and just better all around.

 

I'd recommend continuing the grind, just to see how the "end game" USN BB game play is. They aren't overwhelming in any aspect, but are very adaptable to almost any situation and thus are fantastic BBs when played with smarts.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
834 posts
4,679 battles

NC is one of my favourite ships in the game. Huge change from the Standard slow ships.

I haven't liked the Iowa at all, I haven't played it much though. I have Georgia from Coal so it's almost like why do I even need to play Iowa?

Edited by macktkau2
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[QCM]
Members
100 posts
7,271 battles

Mr. Macaffee,

I would definitely go with the NC. I just got the IOWA and what a HUGE disappointment.  It took me forever to get it and I could not believe what a fire magnet it is.  One dinky little DD kept lighting me up like a BBQ one game until the bitter end.  The Russian Devs definitely are having a laugh at us Americans on this.  A 14 pt Captain, all the flags I can muster, and a B hull, and I have burned to death every time.  BIG difference between the hitting power and survivability between the two ships.  I know the Milinnieal's will be taking shots at me over this, but I stand my ground.  The Iowa is junk.  Until WG reduces the flammability of this ship,  it is gonna stay in mothballs.

Regards;

RockChunker

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[SEA-7]
Members
257 posts
5,184 battles
On 3/21/2020 at 7:06 PM, Snargfargle said:

h Carolina is an excellent ship. It can hold its own at tier X and when it's high tier it can really rock. I definitely

 

22 hours ago, RockChunker said:

Mr. Macaffee,

I would definitely go with the NC. I just got the IOWA and what a HUGE disappointment.  It took me forever to get it and I could not believe what a fire magnet it is.  One dinky little DD kept lighting me up like a BBQ one game until the bitter end.  The Russian Devs definitely are having a laugh at us Americans on this.  A 14 pt Captain, all the flags I can muster, and a B hull, and I have burned to death every time.  BIG difference between the hitting power and survivability between the two ships.  I know the Milinnieal's will be taking shots at me over this, but I stand my ground.  The Iowa is junk.  Until WG reduces the flammability of this ship,  it is gonna stay in mothballs.

Regards;

RockChunker

 

Thanks! I ended up grinding to NC. She's a good ship, and I am happy with her. Grinded to be maxed out and now I am taking a break. A little burned out on the standard (lob shells from 10-15k hide behind a mt, etc) BB play for the time being. Also picked up the Mass, and I love that boat. Big fan of an aggressive BB. Up there with Scharnhorst for me with the fun factor. Iowa ... we'll see if I ever get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[QCM]
Members
100 posts
7,271 battles
3 hours ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

 

Thanks! I ended up grinding to NC. She's a good ship, and I am happy with her. Grinded to be maxed out and now I am taking a break. A little burned out on the standard (lob shells from 10-15k hide behind a mt, etc) BB play for the time being. Also picked up the Mass, and I love that boat. Big fan of an aggressive BB. Up there with Scharnhorst for me with the fun factor. Iowa ... we'll see if I ever get there. 

I know your going to enjoy it.  At least until WG nerfs it like they do to all the really good ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
479
[META_]
Members
1,251 posts
16,138 battles
On 3/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Fifi_Macaffee said:

I'm 60k XP into my Colorado and am really bored of it. It's just so darn slow. Once it gets there, it does a fine job blowing boats up and taking hits, but god forbid I am born on the wrong side of the map or something. It's really just not that interesting of a ship for me. I love the German line, and I am up to Bismark (scharnhorst is the favorite though) there but I do want something that plays the game a little differently, from mid to long range. 

Curious if NC will be more of that mid to long play style, is it worth it to skip to Iowa? I also have the Japanese line as an option of Nagoto or Amagi would more suite that play style. I currently have 125K free XP to spend on something shiny or not at all. 

 

Thanks!

NC is a huge upgrade in speed and guns. About going Japan, Germany instead it depends on how you play. If you are a pusher(Germany 🇩🇪) if you stay 15+km back japanese 🏯, American 🇺🇸 12-15km....in American you have pretty good concealment but not great accuracy so you need to be close enough to blap the red team... Added HUGE bonus is you have great BB AA with NC, IOWA, MONTY SO YOUR DDS appreciate your AA bubble and occasional dd smack down. Happy hunting, I love my Massachusetts and Alabama... So I don't tnk NC is a pass... But that's just my opinion. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
101 posts
7,079 battles

Do not skip NC.  It is a great ship.  It is agile, tough with good guns.  In some ways to me the Iowa felt like a clumsy downgrade with its slow turn and seemingly larger citadel.  I got used to it, but I kept and played the NC.  Do not let your dislike of Colorado cause you to skip NC.  It is a completely new experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×