Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BCGrog

Smolensk. I'm fed up with it. No counter to it at 19kms and smoke..

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

263
[TOG]
Members
191 posts
10,445 battles

Either take away the smoke, or keep it's smoke but reduce it's range to 13 to 15 kms maximum ( with modules ).

NOT  BOTH.

Watching ships getting chipped away, or burnt down from a ship sitting in smoke firing 19 kms is too much.

It's affecting play. Last battle I played two red Smolensks dominated the round. I saw ships scatter to the borders trying to avoid them, while DD's with low conceal are complaining no one will push in with them.

And don't tell me they are easy to kill. Either you get overpens or you can't even see them because they are in smoke hosing down everything in a 18 to 19 km arc. 

And those anti-aircraft guns they use for a main battery do WAY too much damage for their calibre in AP or HE.

Sorry but with everyone complaining about CV's having no counter, I submit that a Smolensk sitting in smoke pew pewing 19 kms out is counterable  only by lucky blind shots into the smoke. It really has no counter.

 

 

  • Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
357
[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
826 posts
12,605 battles

If you're getting hit by a Smol that much at 18-19 KM, the problem isn't the Smol.

  • Cool 13
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,752 posts
23,273 battles

Sorry the sky isn't falling. Just because some act in an illogical manner to the mere presence of the ship doesn't mean the ship is to blame.

Smolensk getting deleting or heavily damaged on single salvos happen all the time. Been on both ends of that equation and seen it plenty.

If you can't blind fire into smoke where were you during the Minotaur phase? Hitting a Smol in smoke is no different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,208
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,887 battles

what  you playing? bbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
7 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

If you're getting hit by a Smol that much at 18-19 KM, the problem isn't the Smol.

WQ5RmC7.gif

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,477
[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles

Smolensk shells are mega floaty at that range, and only potatoes sitting perfectly still are going to get hit that far out. It's why most people get either AFT or the range mod, but not both.

Also, her armor got massively nerfed this patch, so she's nowhere near as strong as she used to be.

She's still a bit OP,  mind you, but not to Belfast or Kutuzov levels, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,972
[RLGN]
Members
14,265 posts
25,099 battles
40 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

If you can't blind fire into smoke where were you during the Minotaur phase? Hitting a Smol in smoke is no different.

Unlocked dispersion is already garbage, unlocked guns for some strange reason never seem to drop where you aim, and now the new ‘shells dropping short’ bug after WG ‘fixed’ the reticle.

Yeah, smoke shooting is easy.

Lets not forget anyone with two brain cells to rub together will be moving around in their smoke, making hitting them even ‘easier.’

I believe you when you say Smolly is easy to delete; I’ve done it plenty of times.

I understand that if you’re angled the damage can at least be partly mitigated; I’ve done that as well.

That ship is still a Peter Oscar Sam, and anyone who uses one deserves every bit of grief they draw; just like carrier drivers.

Why?

BECAUSE IT MAKES TOO DAMN MUCH NOISE.

I hate that filthy pile of bovine byproducts more for the noise, than anything else.

Makes me want to pull my hair out more than the old citadel sound.

  • Boring 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,752 posts
23,273 battles
26 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

BECAUSE IT MAKES TOO DAMN MUCH NOISE.

Yeah it is annoying when one is plinking your hull constantly until you look at your health and realize it's not doing much damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,972
[RLGN]
Members
14,265 posts
25,099 battles
5 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Yeah it is annoying when one is plinking your hull constantly until you look at your health and realize it's not doing much damage.

Realizing that is when I just started working to delete them. Doesn’t make me hate them any less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
921
[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Oof man. Having played Smol a lot this ranked season, any BB guns can smack it. Stalingrad is actually its' perfect hunter: fast muzzle velocity, strong armor, and radar.

FWIW I never used that extra range, as 16.6km was enough. Beyond that, there's so much hang time that any competent player can dodge its shells.

Edited by pewpewpew42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
1 hour ago, BCGrog said:

Either take away the smoke, or keep it's smoke but reduce it's range to 13 to 15 kms maximum ( with modules ).

NOT  BOTH.

Watching ships getting chipped away, or burnt down from a ship sitting in smoke firing 19 kms is too much.

It's affecting play. Last battle I played two red Smolensks dominated the round. I saw ships scatter to the borders trying to avoid them, while DD's with low conceal are complaining no one will push in with them.

And don't tell me they are easy to kill. Either you get overpens or you can't even see them because they are in smoke hosing down everything in a 18 to 19 km arc. 

And those anti-aircraft guns they use for a main battery do WAY too much damage for their calibre in AP or HE.

Sorry but with everyone complaining about CV's having no counter, I submit that a Smolensk sitting in smoke pew pewing 19 kms out is counterable  only by lucky blind shots into the smoke. It really has no counter.

 

 

The Smolensk, Minotaur, Neptune, Worchester, Haragumo, etc.....any of these ships that continuously shoots while in smoke still risks the chance of getting blapped by a experienced player.  You can still aim for where the rounds are originating from, and they will eat citadels.  Many a time I have seen a devastating strike against a ship hidden in smoke.  Heck, I can even get hits on a  destroyer hidden in smoke with my aircraft carrier if he keeps his AA guns active.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[RAGE]
Members
339 posts
5,601 battles

If you dont like Smolensk, just play tier 7.

You're welcome.

Edited by mumphred
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,609 battles
11 minutes ago, db4100 said:

The Smolensk, Minotaur, Neptune, Worchester, Haragumo, etc.....any of these ships that continuously shoots while in smoke still risks the chance of getting blapped by a experienced player.  You can still aim for where the rounds are originating from, and they will eat citadels.  Many a time I have seen a devastating strike against a ship hidden in smoke.  Heck, I can even get hits on a  destroyer hidden in smoke with my aircraft carrier if he keeps his AA guns active.

 

And equally difficult is hitting one of those experienced players sitting in smoke. But the hidden problem no one talks about is three-fold.

1) You may have to pop/waste spotter if you even have one.

2) You get yourself detected in the process by shooting at a blob and hoping.

3) in many cases you have to wait 20-30 seconds to shoot again.....

Is it worth all of those variables to blind fire into smoke, especially at range?

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

And equally difficult is hitting one of those experienced players sitting in smoke. But the hidden problem no one talks about is three-fold.

1) You may have to pop/waste spotter if you even have one.

2) You get yourself detected in the process by shooting at a blob and hoping.

3) in many cases you have to wait 20-30 seconds to shoot again.....

Is it worth all of those variables to blind fire into smoke, especially at range?

The risk is just as great for those trying to hide in smoke.  Radar, gun bloom, and sonar will get you spotted in smoke.  It is about 6 km of the Smolensk getting spotting from firing in smoke.  And as you know the Smolensk is a priority target if spotted.  It is a rough going for that ship.  It is obvious that you don't own one.  If you run into a Smolensk in smoke and he has you targeted your best bet is to "go dark" and get some distance.  And of course zig zag as the Smolensk has really bad floating shells at long range.  The nerfing of the IFHE skill made the Smolensk less of a danger.

I fear a Des Moines or Salem hidden behind an island or in smoke way more than the Smolensk.

It seems you are frustrated with the Smolensk because you don't know it's abilities and disabilities.  You need to play the Smolensk if you want to learn how to quickly counter it......that is the best advice on how to deal with that ship.  It is more of a pesk that can easily be squashed.  Just don't play to her strengths.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,785
[WORX]
Members
10,612 posts
18,506 battles
4 hours ago, BCGrog said:

Watching ships getting chipped away, or burnt down from a ship sitting in smoke firing 19 kms is too much.

Stating the obvious... Getting hit with flouting shells light weight 130mm  Caliber shells @19km away...

The problem is not the ship... Its the player...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,609 battles
6 minutes ago, db4100 said:

  It is obvious that you don't own one. 

My naïve friend, I am working on my 66th 19pt captain.

You think I don't own the Smolensk?

.... I was making the point about shooting into a smoke. A good player moves back and forth in his smoke and is very hard to hit. Bad players don't. That was all I meant. For every risk a smoke sitter takes, those firing at it also take risks. It's all I said.

Please don't assume....

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
1 minute ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

My naïve friend, I am working on my 66th 19pt captain.

You think I don't own the Smolensk?

.... I was making the point about shooting into a smoke. A good player moves back and forth in his smoke and is very hard to hit. Bad players don't. That was all I meant. For every risk a smoke sitter takes, those firing at it also take risks. It's all I said.

Please don't assume....

So I assumed....whoopee.  I got you confused with the OP, sorry.  The Smolensk has a fast enough rate of fire to pin point it in smoke....even when slowly moving.  Just like the Minotaur.  

The gratification of smacking a Minotaur or Smolensk stealth firing in smoke with a couple of citadels and watching them stop firing......worth it for that warm fuzzy feeling.  The Smolensk can't super heal his way out of that.

65 19 point captains??? :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
219
[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
664 posts
13,704 battles

Simple solution is take away his eyes. Smolensk in smoke can not shoot you if you are not spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,103
[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, mumphred said:

If you dont like Smolensk, just play tier 8.

You're welcome.

Then you get up t to t10. Yea not spund advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,371
[-KIA-]
Members
3,468 posts
14,794 battles

People are still complaining about Smolensk after she lost all her armour allowing her to tank some BB shells ?

I've Dev Struck many Smolensk before its armour nerf in Bourgogne. After the armour nerf, every Smolensk spotted in the open just melt when getting shot at by BB. Scoring 4 overpens still means something on a ship with low HP like Smolensk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
4 hours ago, BCGrog said:

It really has no counter.

- Smolensk shells become very floaty at 18-19k, its hard to hit ships at that range, usually the ship is still or moving in a straight line, try to move or WASD;

- Drop concealment, Smolensk cant shoot at you if he cant see you;

- Put a Island between you and the Smolensk; 

- Blind fire the smoke;

- Dont use DCP in a single fire. Survivability builds also help a lot. 

 

Yes, Smolenst is OP and can be a pain to face one, but there is counterplay. A Smolensk shoting from that range is more anying than OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
329
[WOLFG]
Members
539 posts
12,574 battles

I just sail towards them in the smoke. They'll eventually get spotted in the smoke if they continue to fire their guns. They more often stop firing than not because a spotted Smolensk is usually a dead Smolensk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,419
[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles

Is it just me, or is this just like an anti-CV thread, but with the usual suspects reversed?......:Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
455
[WOLFG]
Members
852 posts
1 hour ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I just sail towards them in the smoke. They'll eventually get spotted in the smoke if they continue to fire their guns. They more often stop firing than not because a spotted Smolensk is usually a dead Smolensk.

sssshhh...don't tell everybody!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263
[TOG]
Members
191 posts
10,445 battles
1 hour ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I just sail towards them in the smoke. They'll eventually get spotted in the smoke if they continue to fire their guns. They more often stop firing than not because a spotted Smolensk is usually a dead Smolensk.

I'll give it a whirl.

Problem is if I'm in a BB with approx 30 second reloads and he is focusing me, how many salvos can he hit me with during that time. lighting fires, destroying my AA mounts not to mention his buddies that will focus me trying to reach his smoke over a what ... 10 to 12 km straight line rush to his cloud to illuminate him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×