You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Do they ever get fun?

17 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
4,484 posts

I am at t6 and just not enjoying them.

SAP kinda works. AP sucks. I love how the ships sail but turret rotation is BB speed.

I am just ready to stop.

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
555 posts
18,864 battles

Yes, but not till around T7, IMO. T8 - T10 are good but don’t think they’d ever be my “go to” cruisers. 

[SOV]
Members
4,484 posts
15 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

Yes, but not till around T7, IMO. T8 - T10 are good but don’t think they’d ever be my “go to” cruisers. 

Ok will try one more ship.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
681 posts
8,672 battles

Enjoyed the t7 and each tier more after. Currently on the t9 and have a blast in the Italian cruiser line. 

[USCC2]
Members
5,873 posts

When I hear most talk about the Italian Cruisers there isn't much on the positive side until...…...Venezia!

So at least one has constantly been commented on as good - the light at the end of a long dark tunnel if you will. :Smile_trollface:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,653 posts
17,988 battles

T7 is ok, T8 up is where the line gets good. Volume of firepower solves a lot.

Beta Testers
71 posts
11,064 battles

For the Italians, the big difference is the shell velocity increases once you get to Tier 7, which greatly improves your ability to hit what you are shooting at. The velocity increases again at Tier 8 which helps with SAP and AP penetration values. The mid tier guns are very high arcing and with the slow reload is very painful. SAP is really good against DDs and CLs,  AP is good for all cruisers but BBs, aim for the super structure and SAP works best for that. Best of luck in the grind.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,731 posts
19,740 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

I am at t6 and just not enjoying them.

SAP kinda works. AP sucks. I love how the ships sail but turret rotation is BB speed.

I am just ready to stop.

Tier 10 is very good.

Tier 8 and 9 ok.

[-BSS-]
Members
236 posts
14,084 battles

The T10 worked well as a flanker in CBs and does well in that role in randoms. 

Members
44 posts
1,429 battles

Found the line got enjoyable at T6 and especially so at T7 the Zara and Trento have to be my favourite ships

The Amalfi on the other hand while a strong ship and good in its own right was not as fun simply not my cup of tea

I've yet try Brindis and Venezia hopefully they are not more of the same

Members
601 posts
5,469 battles

This line I feel just continues to get better as you advance up the line.  Amalfi is good, Brindisi is very good and Venezia is excellent and can be monstrous when played well.  Zara I thought was pretty 'meh'.  So I would say absolutely stick with it, but it isn't until Amalfi that the line starts to get good.  The heals and extra rifles on Brindisi make a huge difference.

• Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,320 posts
12,510 battles

Hey

I personally don't like the line; I'm at T8 and I find them unreliable in the damage they deal; the SAP ammo is great on DD's or lightly armed light cruisers but they suck on anything else and the AP is garbage.  In clan battles the Venezia seems pretty good but that's about it.  Not impressed up to and including the T8 myself.

Pete

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
4,395 posts
9,411 battles

I've enjoyed the Italian cruisers.
But, I play them mostly in co-op and with an aggressive and maneuvering play-style (pretty much as though they were a "rented destroyer").

These are not island-camping-HE-spamming-point-muh-gun-and-click-to-shoot cruisers.  :-)

I like the Raimondo Montecuccoli, the Duca D'Aosta and the Trento.  Recently welcomed the Zara to my port and am training the ship & crew at a leisurely pace.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
130 posts
3,817 battles

late to the party but my input for whatever it's worth (take with a grain of salt, i'm no expert):

I have absolutely NOT enjoyed any of the italian boats.. When they launched and i tried them out I thought "wow these are TERRRIBLE.."

They feel "forced" into the game with no real niche or advantage that is their own. Concealment is standard / sub-standard... concealment in smoke is laughable if you fire your guns.

I made it up to Amalfi (T8) and thought "Ahh.. Ok finally it's a little bit less brittle and can take a punch better." I was wrong. Getting up-tiered in Amalfi means you eat citadel hits from nearly every angle.. No joke.

I didn't even muss with Brindsi, I free-xp'd to Venezia

I love the Venezia.. It's like you toil and toil through the line getting sh*t on the whole way up the tree and then get venezia and.... she got some boom boom bruh.

Not uncommon to do 14k dmg salvos to other cruisers of all nations at 12-15 KM. Which is lovely.

The arcs and hang time are more than reasonable. She's very maneuverable and her smoke lasts much longer than the previous boats (more effective).

AA is much, much better.

She has been a really, really fun boat.

Running her with heroic skipper and just plays really nice.

Members
44 posts
1,429 battles

I am up to the Brindisi at the moment which I am upgrading. I'd say they are my favourite tree but they are also the ones I started with.

The first few ships in the line I don't remember too well but I didn't like them I don't think. The game became enjoyable with the first Condottieri you get at T4 though I felt it was missing something like a Spotter.

It reached it's high point for me at the Trento and Zara after many games in the Amalfi the line got boring though

I'd say it was a fun time over all

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

Members
601 posts
5,469 battles
On 7/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, NuclearEmperor said:

So they only get good at high tier? I guess mistakes were made. D:

I kinda feel like this is the new normal, since it has been the case with the Italian CAs, British CAs, and IKEA DDs.  Italians start getting good at t8, British are garbage until t9, and the IKEA DDs start getting good at t8.  I suspect its another 'carrot' WG is dangling to entice people to use or convert FXP.  I'm on the fence about the RN CAs, but the Italians and IKEA DDs are well worth the grind IMO.

Edited by Uncle_Lou
  • Cool 1