You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kagenomure

World of Spam???

27 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

as the title says, when did this game go from being world of warships were AP was use to world of spam were even battleships are spamming HE, make a guy glad there are CV in the game

i do know ppl did spam HE before the recent changes but the majority were dd and cruisers with low AP, but even now Battleships are spaming HE, in 6 matches i have played thats all that is used is HE, kinda make me want to stick with CV and live with being called sky cancer

Edited by Kagenomure

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

Because there were already a lot of inexperienced, bad players doing stupid things.  Like Conqueror players firing HE at my Cruisers, and that was happening even in 2018.

People are bad, they do dumb things.  Like, WTH did I just watch in this stupid little Co-op game with this BB player being stationary like this to only get blapped by a dumb bot?

gWLJiJN.jpg

xpihuk4.jpg

It's because players do inexplicable, stupid things.  They always have.

Dumb moves.

Dumb shell choices.

Going out somewhere to get focus fired by 6 ships.

Watched an Akatsuki charge headlong into another DD, Belfast, and a BB.

Whatever.

They were always doing something stupid, so bad shell selection is only the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

that i get but to get to the point were even tier 9 and 10 battleships are spaming HE on a target giving them broadside going in a straight line giving them a purfect target, i do that now jsut to see if someone will use ap, so far nope

[B-Z]
Members
156 posts
21,988 battles

Maybe reasons?

Currently there is a mission to start fires in a T10 ship.

Loading HE to shoot DDs because the cruisers don't shoot them.

Maybe they had a target bow on so had HE loaded?

Maybe HE because AP overpen light cruisers?

Fact is that sometimes HE will do more damage than AP and BBs can't just instantly decide which one they want. Many times the BB would probably rather having a different shell in the barrel but you're stuck with what was most appropriate minutes ago. I've seen at least 2 Smolenks with this exact comment in the few days and like I said to them. If you weren't farming the BBs and letting the DD live I wouldn't have to load HE.

Edited by John_Crace
  • Cool 3

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

i can udnerstand doing mission but as far as i know and i have looked there is none, i dont care if it is DD or cruisers spaming HE cuase most of them have low ap damage except for the british i think as all they do is fire HE or the italians but to have battleships spam it like a yamato. that is just sad

i do know of some campaigns but just to have it every match from every ship make me want to uninstall this game and say to hell with it

Edited by Kagenomure

[B-Z]
Members
156 posts
21,988 battles
3 minutes ago, Kagenomure said:

.... but as far as i know and i have looked there is none ....

this only proves that you don't know what the other persons reasons may be

shot-20_03.21_19_51.34-0177.thumb.png.6ac489477029b045dd6bb68e14585841.png

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

as i said i do know that there are some missions that require it and in that i have no issue, if you read the post you would have seen i said that but what im saying is if there is no mission that requires it why spam HE, i mean in the last 6 games i played thats all i faced

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

It would not be WOWS without potatos doing potato things.

Edited by Tekina_

[IRNBN]
Members
3,347 posts
9,653 battles
37 minutes ago, Kagenomure said:

no, its a ligit question, without a mission personal or combat mission, why spam HE

Putting aside built-in flamethrowers like Atlanta, etc., a good bit of it has to do with auto-bounce angles and over-pen mechanics.

Even ships with good AP balliststics like US CA and BB, using AP reliably is a matter of opportunity and even then only if you can switch to AP before the target turns ever so slightly. Using AP really effectively comes down to good aim and good luck.

Another impediment is the dumb way Expert Loader only works after all guns are reloaded. Ships with slow reload times have a difficult time switching when a golden AP opportunity pops up. This is where anticipating your target's moves is critical.

Some players just don't bother and run HE all the time on a lot BB's. Switching ammo is too situational and slow for them.

• Cool 2

[LOSC]
Members
576 posts

I start my Massachusetts off with He to attack the first ships in sight which are DD's at Caps.

After that I shoot AP if a BB is broadside and HE if not. 

I watch alot of Streaming from Flamuu and Flambass and setting a BB on fire is Important to

slowly take it's health.

I am nowhere in the same league with those guys but any tips I can learn from them I will certainly try in my games.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

HE Spam, Torpedo Spam, Aircraft spam. All the flavours of the world in a tin.

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles
3 hours ago, Kagenomure said:

no, its a ligit question, without a mission personal or combat mission, why spam HE

Because HE projectiles cause fires and don't ricochet/bounce/shatter the way AP projectiles do when hitting well-armored ships that have properly angled themselves against one's ship.

Fires cause damage-over-time and force a Commander to decide whether or not to use their Damage Control party.  If they use it immediately, then it may be "on cool-down" while more HE salvos are incoming and may start additional fires which they will be unable to immediately control.
Also, if the targeted ship has recently, or will soon be, struck by torpedoes, there are flooding chances to contend with.
Fires + floods combined will do plenty of damage in a short amount of time.

So, loading HE in a battleship makes sense when targeting bow-tanking ships at long range to medium range.  As the distance is reduced, loading AP for targeting an opponent's broadside becomes a viable option.

Also, some ships don't have enough armor to force AP shells to function properly.  Over-penetrations of AP projectiles are not as effective as good hits from HE projectiles.
This is why BB's load HE when trying to target DD's.

For cruisers and destroyers that have no chance of penetrating BB armor, shooting HE projectiles and hoping to start fires is a viable option.  The rate of fire is better, so more chances-per-minute to start fires and cause damage from HE explosions and fire combined.
If a cruiser or destroyer can also score some torpedo hits on the target, then the target may have a difficult time dealing with all the damage from fires and floods  in addition to whatever the HE projectiles were able cause upon impact.

• Cool 1

Members
3,747 posts
23,256 battles

OP it's simple once the Brit BBs with their HE were introduced many bad players realized they had a better chance of scoring damage through random fires than actually learning to aim properly and hit the citadel of a ship.

So in a nutshell relying on RNG for fires > aiming skills.

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

Why HE ?.....because after a few rounds the amount of AA stations ( or other modules ) can be damaged / destroyed...now the planes can hit the ship while taking less damage......slap a few HE as your makin a torp run and you just might take out his torp launchers as you pass and launch yours . Fire works like flooding...DoT for points....makes them use the heals or repair party sooner / faster .

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Probable Answers:

1. Missions
2. Overpins (Ya this is wargamings fault AP use to Blap a dd now you have to use HE) ALSO overpin [edited] Period my Yammy had 33 hits on a broadside Kremlin for 22 overpins and  a bunch of 1440 shatters "but working as intended"
3. Shatters
4. Torp Belt hits
5. Shells falling short
6. Damage Farming

The honest truth as I see it, is wargaming has made like torps, AP an ineffective tool. HE will give you a high fire chance and thus more damage if you can manage to hit the target, plus it will wreck a dd and even citadel at range some cruisers. I make no apologies for this but when a 6 to 9 VW's go driving through your ship damage not shatters and overpins should occur. Overpinson the waterline should create flooding also.

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,112 battles

My only tier X BB is the Thunderer and I mainly load the HE.

However, last night I deleted a Monty with AP in 2 salvos in a ranked battle. That being said, I sometimes have HE loaded and find a nice broadside target, but by the time I get AP loaded, the red ship has turned and my AP will do minimal damage.

[B-Z]
Members
156 posts
21,988 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

OP it's simple once the Brit BBs with their HE were introduced many bad players realized they had a better chance of scoring damage through random fires than actually learning to aim properly and hit the citadel of a ship.

So in a nutshell relying on RNG for fires > aiming skills.

Even if my aim was that good I would probably have trouble remembering each individuals ships spots even if I was told them directly.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
6 hours ago, Kagenomure said:

as the title says, when did this game go from being world of warships were AP was use to world of spam were even battleships are spamming HE, make a guy glad there are CV in the game

i do know ppl did spam HE before the recent changes but the majority were dd and cruisers with low AP, but even now Battleships are spaming HE, in 6 matches i have played thats all that is used is HE, kinda make me want to stick with CV and live with being called sky cancer

Fun thing, HE spam got much worse after the CV rework. With many ships having to play passive to stay safe from CVs, this maen greater ranges, so HE shells become more reliable than AP at ranges. 

Another thing, with the CV rework, a lot of good players legt the game or are playing less. This means more bad players, and HE is the "easy" ammo. 

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles

Another reason may be the armor and pen values that changed with the IFHE nerf. I an not a BB main but I read that 15" and smaller big guns will bounce more on cruisers and others now.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
6 hours ago, Kagenomure said:

...if there is no mission that requires it why spam HE, i mean in the last 6 games i played thats all i faced

Because even though you can potentially do more damage with AP, it takes some knowledge and experience to do so on a regular basis.

So to provide another possible answer to your question, it's because, due to WG increasingly doing things to get people playing high tiers ASAP, relatively inexperienced people are using the ammo type that works most effectively and consistently for them.

And that's because they don't have to spend anywhere near as much time as they used to in the mid-tiers, (potentially none in low tiers, due to new line release events) so instead of doing their "learning" there, they're doing it in high tiers.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
1 hour ago, John_Crace said:

Even if my aim was that good I would probably have trouble remembering each individuals ships spots even if I was told them directly.

To be fair though, you don't really need to. I do reasonably well with just general knowledge.

I think too many people are obsessed with citadel hits. They're supposed to be the "bonus" for good positioning on your part, and bad on the part of the enemy. 1/3 damage pens are really the "bread and butter" for BBs.

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

i see. but i just find it odd that AP is in a way falling out of style, even before the change to HE i saw more people useing HE, yes i do understand it can do more damage and set fires and you dont have to have the best position but if people wanted to learn to use AP why not do coop or stick to low tier ships and practice,

it just gets overly frustrating to have a highi hp ship droped faster then you can fire and reload by another BB of the same tier or any other ship

Members
64 posts
1,209 battles

i just read the other comments and i can now understand why ppl use HE, i rarely use it even if a ship is not broadside i stick with ap.

I mainly do it cuase it helps me to learn and forces me to learn angels, when to fire, were to aim. I find it good for practice but as i said in my last post it is becoming incresignly frustrating to be delted faster then i get off a salvo and reload.

The part about making a capting decided when to use his repair is interesting, i thought about that but some captins will let the fires burn and just waste a heal or just do nothing unless they get torped.

I just with WG would make AP have a less chance to overpen or shatter, even if it is not as much but something,

In one game i had hit enemy ships around 80 times with my main guns and 65 of them were overpens which sucked