Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Bow Mounted / Forward Firing Torp Tubes?

6 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I got thinking about submarine torpedo tubes and started wondering if those were ever tried or considered for surface warships? I know waterline and above waterline torpedo tubes were attempted and used with risks of being hit. But what about Torp tubes below the water line that had the outer streamlining / protective outer hatches on them like subs used?

I know this could likely be a risk if the warship hit it’s bow on anything, but would it also be a problem if a warship at speed launched a partial dud torpedo that launched, propulsion was failing, could the warship then be at risk of ramming the Torp?  I assume subs traveled slow enough that a Torp would simply fall harmlessly below a sub before a sub can strike it? But some BBs and CA could travel fast enough to possibly have an issue with such a design feature?

85E8C157-E0F8-4CEF-99D8-9EA668BFF387.thumb.jpeg.d09841040d4d9dbb95a302137169a0c2.jpeg

8D1CAF4C-20A5-4C4A-A582-5FEE2E52F4A8.jpeg.d5c3c5f8646b0b5d7a061d0726779996.jpeg

[HINON]
Members
13,277 posts

WW1 era or prewar ships like BBs often carried submerged torpedo tubes in the bow.

[PVE]
Members
1,032 posts
8,586 battles

A couple low tier German DDs in the game have a pair of forward firing torpedo tubes, tiers 3 and 4 I think

[PIZZA]
Members
1,063 posts
13,099 battles
14 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

WW1 era or prewar ships like BBs often carried submerged torpedo tubes in the bow.

Ice dmg them easily. Even in subs. 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,530 posts
4,599 battles

HMS Rodney and Nelson had bow mounted 24" torpedo tubes.  Not much use unless they got close to an adversary. 

7931520576_fff9cb2a98_b.jpg

Interior shot of Rodney's torpedo room.

While it's a little hard to see, the yellow areas are Rodney and Nelson's torpedo tubes in plan

i_152.jpg

Pre- and WW 1 battleships often had broadside torpedo tubes mounted in the expectation that they'd be fighting at under 10,000 yards in some cases.  This proved wrong during the war and these were later removed.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,049 posts
12,735 battles

There's a few problems with underwater torpedoes in general, and bow or stern mounted ones in particular.

Underwater tubes in general are a hole in the TDS, and a leak waiting to happen. There's also the issue of getting torpedoes into the magazines from the weather deck. Submarines are fairly small, and can load the torps through a hatch almost straight into the torpedo room. Below water tubes with their magazines also involve storing a large amount explosive, oxygen and fuel inside the hull. Also, in the event of a fire, you can't exactly dump them.

Side firing tubes have the problem that at some point, while launching, the torpedo will have the back end supported by the tube, and the front half sticking out in the water flowing past the hull. That's a lot of stress on the torpedo, which could damage it, causing in to behave erratically. This gets worse as the ship gets faster.

Below water Forward and Aft firing tubes have space issues.The main battery magazines and chain lockers are going to occupy a lot of space low and forward in the ship to work around, and the steering gear, shafting, gearboxes and aft main battery magazines will hamper the aft ones. It will be really challenging to mount the tubes where you can actually load them, and not leave a bunch of torpedoes in a compartment right up against the shell.

Forward torpedo tubes also going to be pointed away from the ships target in action, as most ships want to go mostly broadside to a target, in order the bring every weapon to bear, to present the best armor to the enemy, and to take advantage of the fact that most gunfire misses in range instead of deflection, making going bow on in real life the most dangerous thing a ship could do.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this