Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StorageUnit

Target Hits

9 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
31 battles

I made a post recently about commanders etc... I am very new, not even 2 weeks in.

My question:  My shots are pretty on target... usually hit every shot... however, I notice I get quite a bit of Non-pens, Pens with no damage and a ton of ricochets.. what am I doing wrong, what can i do to fix it?

I am doing my best to get proper angles, mini map awareness... i am competitive in nature and want to win. My current max tier is 5, almost at 6.  Looking for like minded people who want to learn / grow and do better!

Thanks!

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
31 battles

Also another question.  Since I have a few tier 5 ships.. if I use a t4 ship, does that XP count toward progressing?

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

T5 and up for doing specials and day to day tasks , but if you want to get to T6 in a class , you gotta grind the exp on the T5 of that class .( this is where the gold FREE exp can also come into play )

Also , might help to look in the tech tree at some ( or most ) of the ships to get a look at their armor layout.....may help with placing shots for taking out modules or setting on fire . At some point your commander will get points to choose new skills to add to his list .

Just remember that once you are able to do randoms instead of co-op , the mindset changes .Think of co-op as checkers while random is chess , and as with any game , patience is a virtue .

Good luck and fair seas .

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

I would recommend going to the Wiki and/or youtube for info on how armor/penetration/overmatch/angling/IFHE/autobounce work. It can definitely be a bit complicated for new(and even veteran) players to fully understand....there are lots of factors in play.

Quick tip: you can try aiming at a ships unarmored superstructure if you cannot penetrate it's hull. Or switch ammo(AP>HE) type.

edit: I think ichase (?) has a series of teaching videos on these topics on youtube.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
5 posts
31 battles

One more question... if I get a European premium ship.. where does that XP go thats earned? Toward my Tech tree to my respective nation?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,119 posts
4,088 battles
2 hours ago, StorageUnit said:

I made a post recently about commanders etc... I am very new, not even 2 weeks in.

My question:  My shots are pretty on target... usually hit every shot... however, I notice I get quite a bit of Non-pens, Pens with no damage and a ton of ricochets.. what am I doing wrong, what can i do to fix it?

I am doing my best to get proper angles, mini map awareness... i am competitive in nature and want to win. My current max tier is 5, almost at 6.  Looking for like minded people who want to learn / grow and do better!

Thanks!

Hard to say, lot of things could be going on. Probably target and ammo selection. Maybe post some replays so we can take a look.

2 hours ago, StorageUnit said:

Also another question.  Since I have a few tier 5 ships.. if I use a t4 ship, does that XP count toward progressing?

No. XP stays on the ship you earn it on. It allows you to upgrade to the next ship, but if you've already researched everything, then that XP just collects. It's actually now called elite XP, which can be converted to Free XP using doubloons. Free XP can be used on any ship you want.

33 minutes ago, StorageUnit said:

One more question... if I get a European premium ship.. where does that XP go thats earned? Toward my Tech tree to my respective nation?

No, it stays on the premium ship as elite XP. Like I said XP always stays on the ship you earn it in.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
6 hours ago, StorageUnit said:

Short answer is no, but I’ll circle back later to answer your other questions. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
12 hours ago, StorageUnit said:

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to WoWS.

The others have gone through some of these questions in more detail, so I wont replicate that here.  Instead, I'll copy some information below that may be of assistance to new players.  Hopefully, you find that helpful!

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels.  USN carriers are somewhere in between - see @iChase 's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

I've spent alot of time watching ichase's recent how to play video series as well as some other channels such as Sea Lord Mountbatten.

here is ichase's playlist for how to get good:  

Sign in to follow this