You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JackSparrow_665

When To Use Signal Flags and Camos?

14 comments in this topic

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles

I'm basically a packrat in all of my games and I rarely use any of my items. For example, I don't equip premium consumables except on premium ships (yeah, yeah I know "oMfG tHiS mAn dOEsN't uSe pRemIuM cOnSumAbLes!") and I basically never equip signal flags and camos because I don't want to waste them on a bad game. The problem is, you never know if you have a bad game. The only time I use Signal Flags and Camos is when I'm about 10k XP away from the next tier. I've been hoarding all of my signal flags and camos and I'm wondering if this is the reason why I'm a slow grinder. Do you guys equip signal flags and camos for every match or something?

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
175 posts
28,634 battles

Well, I can totally understand because I'm the same way.

I only uses the special camos and signals if there is a time constraint on an on-going event.  Otherwise, I just take my time and play (grind) away.  I do not feel the need to rush-up the latest tech tree line.  Just plod along and enjoy playing...  "slow and steady wins the race"

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,566 posts
11,670 battles

Times to use flags and camo's:

1.  When you have missions that require credits/any form of XP (except base), and are short of time.

2.  100/200% xp days on first wins.

Although I usually use some sort of camo.

[TORCH]
Members
707 posts
18,960 battles

I can only speak for myself, but I'm more or less with you.  I hoard signals and camos (and credits, fxp, ecxp, etc).  That way, I have them when I want/need them.

As a general rule, I use signals/camos when it matters (to me).  That means I always use them in clan and ranked battles.  I also tend to use more economic camos & signals when I have a little premium time, just to maximize their benefit.  I'll also use them to help me get over the hump when grinding for some specific mission, ship, captain, or whatever.

Oh, and when I div with one of my clan members who drives CVs, I always take the AA signal, since it's guanteed there will be a CV in the match.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,826 posts
25,945 battles

For PVP, I used perma-camo and signal flags all the time.  But you never know when it'll be a good or bad game.  When it pays off, it pays off big in PVP.

If you're being picky on a time to use it, especially with the fancier signal flags like Dragon Flags, then save them for special occasions:

1.  When you're in a good Division and feel your chances of success go up.

2.  Events when there's Bonus XP on daily first wins on a ship.

3.  Or save them for PVE Operations, especially if you Division up with some good people for great success and expect 5 star runs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[EQRN]
Members
2,234 posts
20,477 battles

I run basic flags and the type 5 camo for day to day Randoms and save the high end camos and draconic flags for tough directives or 100-200% first win days.

[SYN]
Members
1,423 posts
11,068 battles

I try to always use premium consumables, at least in PvP.   I have gone from PvE to PvP and forgotten to load them.

Signals, not so much.  I use some combat signals in regular play. Ranked, always.

Economic signals are useful when the missions require XP, CXP, or Free XP.

Some of the signals are self sufficient: the signal that gives  extra xp repair will give more than one dreadnought every ten games. 

Even without hoarding, I have hundreds of combat and economic signals. I have a lot of special signals in quantities of 40 to 60.

[H_]
Members
776 posts
13,193 battles

I run flags most of the time, economic and combat depending on the situation i'll change up what i put on.  Only use premium consumables when i think i'll really need it or am looking for that little "extra" .. Camo i always use, got tons.. 

Using or not using also influences what you choose when you get a container of the 3 you can get daily.. If you have tons of camo and signals then you can select consumables or resource containers or "try your luck".. 

[SALVO]
Members
8,162 posts
6,047 battles
1 hour ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I'm basically a packrat in all of my games and I rarely use any of my items. For example, I don't equip premium consumables except on premium ships (yeah, yeah I know "oMfG tHiS mAn dOEsN't uSe pRemIuM cOnSumAbLes!") and I basically never equip signal flags and camos because I don't want to waste them on a bad game. The problem is, you never know if you have a bad game. The only time I use Signal Flags and Camos is when I'm about 10k XP away from the next tier. I've been hoarding all of my signal flags and camos and I'm wondering if this is the reason why I'm a slow grinder. Do you guys equip signal flags and camos for every match or something?

I save them for special moments you need the extra bonus...

XP bonus for stock ship grinds always combined with 50% daily bonus. You want to minimize the amount of battles your ship is handicapped.

Combat Flags to suplement some characteristic of the ship. Classic example Det flag on DD and CL.

Ranked. Because you want every little edge you can have. I guess that applies to Clan Battles too, but never have done it myself.

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
606 posts
6,248 battles

shameless, hoarding, ocd driven collector, insatiable completionist, I have to bully my conscious to use them, almost ever.

I'll bet that i would have the 5 PI camo's in ten years even if I didn't have my life.

But, for like the FreeXP directive, I have used 20-30 trying to keep it elevated, by bout.

Now that I have triple digits of the basic paints, I do use them, mainly random, and Op's.

Not having prem time, I will use econ flags in random, det sig's also. I've managed to get near about 200 of the basic flags, several hundred for some. 40-100 of the rare sig's. I barely use those. Maybe 30 since beginning.

Edited by iamSamoth

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
3 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

shameless, hoarding, ocd driven collector, insatiable completionist, I have to bully my conscious to use them, almost ever.

Same here.   

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,406 posts
12,603 battles

I throw almost ever thing I can on my ship because I stink and I need it . I now feel naked with out permanent cameo , consumables and flags up the Ying Yang .

I have tons of credits though so I just buy them when I run low .

Like the old saying goes when you die you cant take the credits , flags and cameos with you .

[Y0L0W]
Members
641 posts
20,600 battles
2 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I just use the camos you buy with credits unless I'm grinding a line. You'll find though some of the premium consumables do make a big difference though. Especially the repairs, heals and smoke as well as whatever gimmick the corresponding line has. You'll make the credits back in survivability and xp.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles

I am almost always using a combination of something:

Have hundreds of low-end consumable camos to throw on tech tree ships, so I never run naked.

I save high-XP camos and signals for grinding high-tier ships.

For ranked and clan battles, I go heavy on the combat signals. If the useful or available combat signals don’t use all the spots, I’ll fill up with commander- and free-XP-boosting signals, particularly for clan battles (2500 base XP for a win). Same with the camo selection.

Use premium consumables in all PVP modes. Almost never run them in co-op, except for some fragile ships that really need the next heal to come around fast.