Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ariokk

The Corona John B

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles

Apologies up front to The Beach Boys and The Kingston Trio

 

We listened to Sloop John B
When we were far off at sea
Just a bunch of jarheads homesick and alone
Fighting in ports
Among our favorite sports
In the morning we'd wake up and wish we were home.

So grab you a bottle of beer
turn on your TV sets
The travel channel is touring Greece and Rome
Kick back and relax
Have a Coke and a Jack
and take your life for granted, but we wanna come home. 

First Sgt. called morning formation
To pass us all information
We look at the sun it's gonna be a long day. 
The ship goes up and down
Can't keep our chow down
And it's thirteen more days until we get paid

So grab you a bottle of scotch
and find something funny to watch
Like Pauly Shore living under a dome
Grab your senorita
and a large margarita
and take your life for granted, but we wanna come home

We came ashore on the sixth
The entire country was sick
We'd fight this virus for you but we just dont know how
We just look outside
For where it might hide
but we're jarheads not doctors, what we gonna do now?

A toast to all of us here
Thank god there's plenty of beer 
If we're gonna be sick at least we're not [edited]alone
Raise high all your glasses
because until this thing passes
One thing for certain - We're all stuck at home!!

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
289
[WOLF2]
Members
823 posts
18,896 battles

Somewhere in the attic I have the 45 I got when this song was first released.

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts

Have you seen Josh Turner and his friends doing the song? These youngsters have amazing talent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,748
[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles

@Snargfargle that cover is horrible.

Look for Fendertone cover.


Sloop John B was one of my father favourite song.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles

i've loved that song since i was little. It just seemed to fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
6 hours ago, LadyAnesjka said:

@Snargfargle that cover is horrible.

Look for Fendertone cover.


Sloop John B was one of my father favourite song.

The Fendertones are professional musicians. Did you notice John Cowsill (of the Cowsills) on drums and Scott Totten (of the current Beach Boys) in the group? Conversely, Josh Turner and his friends, at the time, were high school kids just starting to break into music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,748
[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The Fendertones are professional musicians. Did you notice John Cowsill (of the Cowsills) on drums and Scott Totten (of the current Beach Boys) in the group? Conversely, Josh Turner and his friends, at the time, were high school kids just starting to break into music. 

i do not know who this turner child is.

I do not know who Fendertone make them profesional ? They seem like normal people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
1 hour ago, LadyAnesjka said:

i do not know who this turner child is.

I do not know who Fendertone make them profesional ? They seem like normal people.

"Professional musician" means that music is their job. John Cowsill, for example, was a member of the hit 60s group the Cowsills. Scott Totten tours with the Beach Boys themselves. Other members of the group are studio musicians or Broadway backup singers. Music is their job. They are good but nowhere near amateurs.

Josh Turner and his friends Carson Mckee, Reina del Cid, and Toni Lindgrin were high schoolers when they first started posting music videos on YouTube. Even back then you could see they had real talent. Now, they are starting to go out and perform for audiences on tour.

 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,748
[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles

ANy person who get famous from youtube is more so product of some company prop them up , like Justin biber, for life of me do not know how he get famous.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
55 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

ANy person who get famous from youtube is more so product of some company prop them up , like Justin biber, for life of me do not know how he get famous.

Justin Bieber started out posting videos but was then "discovered" at age 13. Breaking into the music industry like that is a very rare occurrence, however.  Most talented YouTube musicians have to post hundreds of videos and play even more small venues before they become widely recognized. Eventually, some get industry contracts but just as many make it on their own merits. Using YouTube and iTunes you can now produce and distribute your own music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles
37 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Justin Bieber started out posting videos but was then "discovered" at age 13. Breaking into the music industry like that is a very rare occurrence, however.  Most talented YouTube musicians have to post hundreds of videos and play even more small venues before they become widely recognized. Eventually, some get industry contracts but just as many make it on their own merits. Using YouTube and iTunes you can now produce and distribute your own music. 

it's a bit scary that you know this. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
17 minutes ago, Ariokk said:

it's a bit scary that you know this. LOL

I've got quite a few musicians in my family. My brother-in-law recently opened for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. A cousin of Dad's is a bluegrass fiddler who has played at the Grand Ole Opry. They love talking music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles

That's cool. My brother and sister are both involved in the arts. Bro majored in film and worked on Philadelphia, Sis majored in fabric design and textiles and does some really amazing sharpie artwork as well as silk screening

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
1 hour ago, Ariokk said:

That's cool.

Or it could just be that I'm a Belieber. :Smile_veryhappy:

Actually, I know a little about him because one interest of mine is why some people with talent never make it big whereas others with decidedly less talent explode in popularity. For example, I've watched several videos by Pewdiepie trying to understand what made him the number one entertainment draw on YouTube, from which he makes several million dollars a year. I have no idea what the kids see in him but I'm not a 13-year-old either.

Pewdiepie is a Youtube 'kingmaker" though. If he mentions you in one of his videos and you are even moderately talented then you will be a millionaire within a year. I ran across an Irish kid several years back who went by the name JackSepticEye. I thought he had talent as a game commentator but he only had a few hundred total views... until Pewdiepie featured him. Within a year "Jack" had a million subscribers and could afford to move out of this parent's home and into an apartment of his own. Now "he has 24 million subscribers and is a multimillionaire in his own right.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
289
[WOLF2]
Members
823 posts
18,896 battles
5 hours ago, LadyAnesjka said:

ANy person who get famous from youtube is more so product of some company prop them up , like Justin biber, for life of me do not know how he get famous.

 

A record label wanted to make this lady famous but she didn't want to sing what they wanted her to sing so now you'll only find her on youtube.  She is one of the best vocalists on youtube. 

 

This is what they wanted her to do.

 

This is a sample of what she does on youtube.

 

I find much better music from youtube indie artists than I hear on pop radio these days.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles
34 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Or it could just be that I'm a Belieber. :Smile_veryhappy:

Actually, I know a little about him because one interest of mine is why some people with talent never make it big whereas others with decidedly less talent explode in popularity. For example, I've watched several videos by Pewdiepie trying to understand what made him the number one entertainment draw on YouTube, from which he makes several million dollars a year. I have no idea what the kids see in him but I'm not a 13-year-old either.

Pewdiepie is a Youtube 'kingmaker" though. If he mentions you in one of his videos and you are even moderately talented then you will be a millionaire within a year. I ran across an Irish kid several years back who went by the name JackSepticEye. I thought he had talent as a game commentator but he only had a few hundred total views... until Pewdiepie featured him. Within a year "Jack" had a million subscribers and could afford to move out of this parent's home and into an apartment of his own. Now "he has 24 million subscribers and is a multimillionaire in his own right.

 

 

did you see his face first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
11 minutes ago, Ariokk said:

did you see his face first?

On a less frivolous note, you have to watch judging singers by the way they look. Of course, youth is marketable but those who depend mostly on their looks for celebrity usually find that their careers end when their youth ends.

Conversely, there are some who the marketeers would never look twice at, yet they possess real talent.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,928 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

On a less frivolous note, you have to watch judging singers by the way they look. Of course, youth is marketable but those who depend mostly on their looks for celebrity usually find that their careers end when their youth ends.

Conversely, there are some who the marketeers would never look twice at, yet they possess real talent.

  

Well played, Sir!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
408
[NEMO]
Members
704 posts
2,089 battles

Here's my favorite band , they are from California, but their parents are from Romania the name of the band is Liliac

And Melody sings this just as good as Dio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,748
[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles

You american...that Susan Boyale thing was staged. All these " Got Talent " sad story and "unlikely" star is just stage to get people interest in show.

Was big scandal here in EU when it come out of this.

Is nothing real of "reality" televizja.

As for girl who decide stay on Youtube. Good for her. 

I do not like these youtube so call discover selling out to manufacture media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,861
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
28 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

You american...that Susan Boyale thing was staged.

We know that "reality" TV is staged. That wasn't the point I was making. I was saying that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The American idiom may be lost in translation. If so, then here is song I wrote about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×